PDA

View Full Version : Getting a tattoo tonight! **UPDATE now with a pic!

Donnaj4962
03-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I have been wanting one for a long time, and have finally decided that this is the right time. I will be turning 45 next month, and this is part of my "right of passage" so to speak! :)

Maybe I am anal about this, but I went so far as to research and visit local parlors and artists, and I have talked to several artists, and made a decision this past weekend. I am getting a sun, half covered by a moon, with a star hanging by a ribbon from the moon. No faces on the moon or sun. If there is room, he may be able to do a couple of shooting stars from the moon. He is working on the stencil today, and I will see what he has come up with once I get there. I gave him some pictures for ideas. I am getting it on my upper back, close to where the neck and back connect.

I am so excited, but also a little scared! :o Wish me luck! :cool:

caseysmom
03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Good luck!

TFTpwnsYou
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Congrats! And trust me you were not being anal about it at all. That was being smart. After all it's permenent, and if not a clean safe environment who knows what could happen.

I've been wanting another for quite some time now. I'm so jelous of you...lol.

critter crazy
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Congrats!! You were being very careful, and I think that was very awsome! all people should do the same when they think about getting a tat! I know I did! I have three and cant wait to get the fourth! Good luck and share pics!

DrKym
03-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I got mine to celebrate my 40th!

LOVE it!

Good luck, and happy birthday!

Donnaj4962
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone! My friend is going with me, and she is bringing her camera, so I will have pics!

Dr. Goodnow.... I had a HUGE party to celebrate my 40th! It was a "Princess" party, cuz some of my friends and family think that I am a diva and something of a princess! :o ;) :rolleyes: But I am not.... just like "my cats aren't spoiled!"

For my 42nd, I got my cartilige pierced on my left ear.

Now that I am thinking about it... what is it about me and pain and my birthday???? :eek:

critter crazy
03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone! My friend is going with me, and she is bringing her camera, so I will have pics!

Dr. Goodnow.... I had a HUGE party to celebrate my 40th! It was a "Princess" party, cuz some of my friends and family think that I am a diva and something of a princess! :o ;) :rolleyes: But I am not.... just like "my cats aren't spoiled!"

Now that I am thinking about it... what is it about me and pain and my birthday???? :eek:
Hey I have gotten all my tats on my birthdays as well! he he he he! I guess we just love pain!

sprokett
03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
cool

Lobodeb
03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
That's awesome!

How did you decide on your design?

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Kalei
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Really?! Wow! I have been wanting a tattoo sooo bad lately, I have my own design that I want done on the middle of my back, its a pretty sword..but I am too chicken to get it done because of the pain. I have my belly button peirced and thought that was going to hurt, when I got it done I couldn't believe it, cause it didn't hurt at all, but I know tattoos hurt much worse and take longer than a peircing, since you looked up so much information on this..do you have any advice that would help me finally make the decision to go instead of delaying because of fear of pain? I would love any advice, I want to get one done soon:)

Can't wait to see yours, you must take a picture when its all done and healed:D

DrKym
03-07-2007, 04:38 PM

LOL dunno but this year I am getting the mirror image of my purple rose done.....must be a birthday thing :p

sirrahved
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Where are you going? I've heard great things about grade a (where I've done all my piercings) and studio 13. Can't wait to see pics!

Lobodeb
03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
...do you have any advice that would help me finally make the decision to go instead of delaying because of fear of pain? I would love any advice, I want to get one done soon:)

You can have it done in multiple sessions. Maybe have the outline done the first pass and the color done in subsequent passes depending on the size and complexity of your design?

I would like to get another one soon, but I need to find an artist to draw it up for me.

DrKym
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
You can have it done in multiple sessions. Maybe have the outline done the first pass and the color done in subsequent passes depending on the size and complexity of your design?

I would like to get another one soon, but I need to find an artist to draw it up for me.

I went for the whole thing at once! easier for me since after a few minutes of the outline the area went numb. I fell asleep during the coloring process :o

Lobodeb
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I went for the whole thing at once! easier for me since after a few minutes of the outline the area went numb. I fell asleep during the coloring process :o

Me too! I got both of mine in 1 day, but the thought of pain doesn't scare me like it does Kalei.

BCollie_Kelly
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Awesome, Congrats! I can't wait to see some pictures :D

BitsyNaceyDog
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Good Luck!

As for the pain, I didn't think it was too bad. The outline was more painful than the coloring in of it.
Just remember to breathe, I was so nervous with my first tattoo I held my breath without even knowing that I was holding it. I got light headed and and the tattoo artist had to remind me to breathe. After that I just focused on my breathing and I was fine.

With my second tattoo I took a bottle of water with me for comfort, that helped me through the outlining (I was fine with the coloring in of it). They also had the TV on when I had my second one done so I just watched TV and "forgot" about the tattoo.

Kalei
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM

hehe I think that is funny how you fell asleep lol. That is great, at least you were relaxed eh?

Yes, I am scared of the pain, but once I am there and the person starts doing it, things usually don't even hurt to me, probably because I went expecting so much pain that it doesn't hurt lol. I just have to get the guts up to go and do it.

dukedogsmom
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I, too, would love to see pics. You won't be able to quit with just one. I got my first one when I was 31. I'm 42 now and have 3. Want to get another one. They're all where you can't see them unless I choose to show them, though. I think it's a great way to express yourself. I think you'll be happy. I knew I would because I had wanted tattoos since I was an older teen. It's good that you did research and thought about it a lot.

DrKym
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
hehe I think that is funny how you fell asleep lol. That is great, at least you were relaxed eh?

Yes, I am scared of the pain, but once I am there and the person starts doing it, things usually don't even hurt to me, probably because I went expecting so much pain that it doesn't hurt lol. I just have to get the guts up to go and do it.

I hate pain! so I didn't get mine for years! Finally took the plunge worried a bunch and then realized he had already done a bunch and it DIDN"T hurt, pinched a bit, but not pain. After that it was smooth sailing!

Twisterdog
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Cool idea! Be sure and post pics.

The outline hurts WAY worse than the fill. Which is good, I suppose, since you get the worst over with first. I've done it five times, and I'm a total baby about pain. It hurts, to be sure, but it's tolerable.

Here are my sun/moon tattoos. BAD pics, but cool tattoos.

todd
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM
cool I like tattoos I have 2 cat tattoos

Donnaj4962
03-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Well, I survived it! AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I can't lie, it was painful at first, especially the lines. The coloring wasn't bad at all. But I just kept thinking about the end result! My friend went with me, and she, I and the tattoo artist talked about travels, politics, his daughter, and about his experiences as a tattoo artist! This guy was awesome!

He made a drawing from 3 different pics that I took in, and he got it dead on with what I wanted. We just really had to discuss colors, and that was it.

I was nervous as I waited, and I realized that I was pacing! Once we got in the room, I realized that my hands were practically wringing wet! But once he started, I was better and soon relaxed.

We got some pictures, but they are on my friends camera and once she gets them downloaded, I will post on here. Hopefully that can happen yet today.

DrKym
03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
WOOOT!!!!!!

I am so happy for you! happy early birthday also!!

cant wait to see the pics!

Donnaj4962
03-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, here it is. This was taken just after it was finished, so it is still red. Also, there is a glare from the lights and the Vaseline. But I think you can still get a good idea of what it looks like.

I also found out yesterday that a friend of mine was at the same shop getting her tattoo (for her 50th birthday!) that same day. Her appointment was just 1/2 hour before mine.... so we were there at the same time! How ironic is that??!!! :eek:

Thanks for looking!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pe137adab9d4a287379771c47163bdec2/ea60f378.jpg

Toby's my baby
03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
That is awsome! Very very cool!

DrKym
03-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Very pretty!

How are ya holding up? wait till the end of the week when it itches LOL ;)

Daisy and Delilah
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
The tattoo is beautiful!! It amazes me what these tattoo artists can do. I love the colors. :D

I like yours too Twisterdog :)

Donnaj4962
03-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone!

Dr. Goodnow.... no pain, although I can tell, when I put lotion on it, that it is starting to flake some. It actually just feels like I have been in the sun and gotten a little sunburn.

And yes, I am ready for another! I just have to save some more money! I would like a vine of flowers on my ankle going to my foot, just past the ankle. I know I will use the same artist, just have to look at some pics for ideas!

Again, thanks everyone for you comments!

critter crazy
03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Awsome!! I love it!!

lvpets2002
03-09-2007, 04:02 PM
;) Hey that is a Great Tat.. I have three & got them when I turned 45 yrs old too.. Of course on my left lower leg is a Tiger roaring & is in a Big Rose & then I have a Pegasus on my bikini line & a Global Winged Dragon Fly on my right back shoulder.. Congrats on your new Tat..

pitc9
03-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh I love it!!

wolflady
03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Congrats on your birthday tat! How long did it take? I've been thinking about getting one for awhile, but am still a bit too chicken. :o

dukedogsmom
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I love it! It's unique, too. That is cool about your friend.

BCollie_Kelly
03-09-2007, 05:15 PM
wow, neat idea! I really like it! :D

Donnaj4962
03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks again everyone!

WolfLady, it took about an hour once he got all set up. But the time passed very quickly because my friend was with me and the 3 of us just chatted the whole time he worked! I was chicken too, but I finally did it!

I have not had any children, but I kept thinking about this pain compared to that of childbirth.... and the end result! Childbirth pain you get a baby to love the rest of your life. Tattoo pain and you get a beautiful piece of artwork on your body to admire the rest of your life! :D So those of you out there who have had children AND have a tattoo, let us know how the pain compares!

DrKym
03-09-2007, 07:57 PM
LOL

tatt vs child birth?

tatt = one bad stubbed toe
child birth=an 18 yr long excedrin day :rolleyes: kidding but there is no comparison, tatts dont really hurt all that much and truth be told even with natural childbirth, having my kids didn't either, at least not 10 minutes after I was done :)

Chica
03-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I GOT A TAT WHEN I TURNED 50!!!GOOD LUCK!!!!

cyber-sibes
03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
LOL tatt vs child birth?

tatt = one bad stubbed toe
child birth=an 18 yr long excedrin day :rolleyes: :)Pfffftttt!! Alright, you got me spraying my evening tea on that one! :D Good thing I wasn't eating too, I'd have sucked it down the wrong pipe laughing so hard!

Nice tatto! I don't have the guts, but my hubby has one from years ago he got in California - I wish he'd go "renew" the colors, it's really nice.

GiantSchnauzer
03-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Congrats! Looks good! They are addicting. I have 5 and want another.

Twisterdog
03-09-2007, 09:49 PM
child birth=an 18 yr long excedrin day :rolleyes:

Wow, is that all? An excedrin day? You must have way better kids than I do. I would say it's more like an eighteen-year-long appendectomy without anesthetic combined with rusty nails shoved under all twenty finger and toe nails. Oh, and don't forget root canals on every tooth ... again, without anesthetic, of course. (Gee, ya think it's been a bad day?!) ;)

Awesome tattoo! I love it! :D

PJ's Mom
03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I got two tatts for my 40th. One, on my wrist, is a doggie paw print. The other, on my shoulder, is a rose with a dagger going through it with a snake wrapped around the dagger. There is blood dripping from the rose. It's pretty cool. :p

Tattoos are addictive, so be careful. :D