PDA

View Full Version : diabetic cat needs home asap or wil be killed

doolittleky
03-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I received this email from a list I belong to. Please crosspost it wherever you can. This poor cat doesn't deserve the treatment he is getting from his family. By the way the Melissa at the bottom of the email lsiting her cat is NOT me. I didn't want anyone to get confused.

Cross posting.....

First time I've heard diabetes referred to as an "issue" This poor cat deserves better than these shallow, hollowed out people. How can they use the phrase "hate to part with him" and "sweetest cat" and "we're going to kill him because he has chewed one too many cords" in the same paragraph.

I'll forward to my lists. Placing a diabetic cat will not be easy. Anybody who can help contact the e-mail address in the freecycle ad. [email protected]

If you can't take the cat please forward and crosspost to your e-lists.

Thanks for caring!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Marla Stout
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 8:52 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: [KCRescue] Freecycle Diabetic Cat

wanted to a good home:special needs cat (LS MO)
Posted by: "feb131969" [email protected] feb131969
Mon Mar 5, 2007 10:36 am (PST)
We are needing to part with our 7yr old cat. He is the sweetest cat,
but he has some issues.

This past year he has developed Diabetes, and he also has a habit of
chewing on electric cords,(we are a high tech family) when he is not
getting the attention that he wants, he is declawed, and always wants
to go out. Our family has grown, and our focus has turned elsewhere.

He needs daily insulin shots, and will need a vet apt.(has not had one
in over a year)

We hate to part with him, but he has ruined one to many electrical
cords in our home. If not adopted we will have to do the unthinkable :(

Please help!!! If anyone knows of a vet that will take him, or a young
couple that does not have alot of computer wires around the house
please let me know.

Thanks
Melissa

Catty1
03-06-2007, 08:45 PM
our focus has turned elsewhere. :mad:

Mycatownsme
03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
:mad:
I dont think ones enough.....
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Catty1
03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
I hope if they are old and ill that their kids' 'focus will turn elsewhere'.

Is there a diabetic cat rescue around or anything?

I hope this baby finds a home! :(

kittycats_delight
03-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Some people are such morons. God they really can make a person sick. Gee people did it ever occur to you that his 'issues' are from being declawed? And he wants out all the time to get the heck away from you? And how about trying some bitter apple on those cords or cord covers. Some people just don't want to bother. It's always the quick and easy route. Isn't it just so nice to see the love they have for this poor kitty after 7 years. I hope to God someone saves him and gives him the home he deserves.

catfamily
03-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Is it possible to tell them that all they need to do is cover every wire in the house(Like we had to do because of 3 of my cats).
They sell them at home depot and Lowes.They are called "flex tubing."

Maybe that will help their decision better.It only takes a few days to do.It's very easy to cover the wires.

It's worth telling them about the Flex Tubing!It's very easy to do!

I just emailed them to tell them.I offered to send pictures also if they are interested.

CultureJunky
03-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Catfamily, you are so right! Why haven't they done this. All you buy is the tubing then thread the wires through and they're protected. You can also get 'cabel tidies' that put them all together in one bunch and are protected so they're not hanging out everywhere.

I think it's the diabetes issue, they obviously are not willing to have a cat with a medical problem, so they don't deserve him anyway.

People really feck me off when they get small problems with their pets and they just think I'll get rid of it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everyday my faith in humans diminishes greatly.

Medusa
03-07-2007, 07:36 AM
They're using diabetes as an excuse. The phrase "our focus has turned elsewhere" says it all. Even if they do take the necessary precautions re the wires, etc., this cat needs to be rehomed. They obviously do not care about him, sweet thing. They're going to be old and/or sick one day. Maybe their kids will have the same attitude towards them that they have towards their cat.

Blessings,
Mary

Freedom
03-07-2007, 07:46 AM
They're using diabetes as an excuse. The phrase "our focus has turned elsewhere" says it all. Even if they do take the necessary precautions re the wires, etc., this cat needs to be rehomed. They obviously do not care about him, sweet thing. They're going to be old and/or sick one day. Maybe their kids will have the same attitude towards them that they have towards their cat.

Blessings,
Mary

I've never had a diabetic cat; but I doubt it is proper to not see the vet in over a year!!!! Kitty will be better in a home that cares; here's hoping he lands in one, and soon.

elizabethann
03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Where is the diabetic cat located?

Anikaca77
03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah where is this cat located at??

smokey the elder
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe you can crosspost this to www.felinediabetes.com. They may be able to help you.

Anikaca77
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I emailed her to see if she can give me more information. So far I haven't heard anything.

doolittleky
03-07-2007, 02:13 PM
All I know ios what is in the email. i am assuming it is located in or near kansas city misssouri since that was the rescue that posted it.

catfamily
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
She or he never emailed me back.What's with these people who don't reply to people who are being nice and offering advice.

catmandu
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Sadly every once in a while a Cat will come by the Found Cat Paradise Hotel because thier so called Guardians love has gone.
Thats so sad that they cannot put covers on the cords and have more compassion for a Cat who is ill.
I hope and pray that that poor Cat can find a home where he is truly loved.

Anikaca77
03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I haven't heard anything either. She should at least reply to us.

DrKym
03-08-2007, 02:36 PM
I recieved an email, from her
The cat is in KC, MO. I have let her know that if she will arrange transport to my SIL in Independence Mo, we will foster the cat until a permanent home can be found. :)

Waiting to hear when that will be.

catfamily
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
She just emailed me with a reply:

This is her reply from me saying to cover her wires with Flex-Tubing.

"great thanks! I wish we would of had that info years ago."

So It looks to me from that reply that she's keeping the cat.
Cunfused a little here.

DrKym
03-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Me too............ I havent recieved a reply this afternoon yet, she did reply this am though :confused:

Well hope she lets me know either way. :) i do hope that she rethinks and keeps him/her and continues to care for him.

Medusa
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
I received a PM telling me the location of the cat but it was the same thing that she posted. I, for one, am suspicious of her probable decision to keep the cat. Anyone w/a modicum of intelligence would know to cover the wires if the cat chewing on them was a problem. I hope she's not telling us what she thinks we want to hear.

Blessings,
Mary

catfamily
03-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I received a PM telling me the location of the cat but it was the same thing that she posted. I, for one, am suspicious of her probable decision to keep the cat. Anyone w/a modicum of intelligence would know to cover the wires if the cat chewing on them was a problem. I hope she's not telling us what she thinks we want to hear.

Blessings,
Mary

I'm thinking the same.She may just doesn't want the cat anymore.
All the more I hope a PTer gets it.

DrKym
03-08-2007, 07:13 PM
recieved a reply this eve.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 3/8/2007 6:45:32 PM
To: Dr.Kym Goodnow
Subject: Re: Diabetic cat

I got alot of advise good advise regarding the cord
chewing, so we are going to give it a try and see what
happens.

Thanks for caring

I do wish them all the best. Maybe they will make it better for him and refocus back on thier cat? Sending my prayers they will!

catfamily
03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
GREAT NEWS!!! :) :) I am soooo happy.
We have to give people a chance.Learning is a great thing.We all need more knowledge.
I never knew about cord covering until Mike mentioned it....after our whole house was damaged.lol
I'm glad this worked out.I hope she now...keeps her baby.She just didn't know.
It's not because people are stupid.They just are so haried and working hard to make a living that they get flustered.
This is great.
Lets hope we get great news from her later.
Sometimes we all assume the worst.I know I still do sometimes.I'm getting more postive over the years though about people.
People generally are very nice but just so busy...working...taking care of kids...whatever.
No time to stop and think.My mom was like that.go go go go...never time for anything else.
She was a saint.Taking in every stray that needed a home plus working double shifts every day...no father with 5 kids...and at least 10 animals in the house as pets at all times. :D :eek:

smokey the elder
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I just hope that she manages the cat's diabetes. It isn't a lot of work but must be watched carefully.

DrKym
03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I just hope that she manages the cat's diabetes. It isn't a lot of work but must be watched carefully.

One of our guys is diabetic and I did share some coping info with her, I am praying for her and her kitty, that it will all work out with a happy ending! :)

Kym

Catty1
03-09-2007, 12:58 PM
At least she knows there are caring people who will help her - and that will make all the difference, I believe!

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
I received the same reply from her about receiving alot of good info that she didn't know before and was going to try. HOPEFULLY SHE DOES AND IT WORKS.
mELISSA

Lizzie
03-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I emailed the original rescuer poster (not the owner of the cat) and let her know about the response from people on PT and the owner's response of thanks, etc. This is what she said:

"Thank you for the update, happy to hear it. I too had suggested cord covers
to her but she told me she was already using them and her cat was tricky."

This makes me less sanguine about the owner's response to the PT people who emailed her and what is really happening to the cat. I wish the cat could find a better home.

DrKym
03-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh that does not sound promising :eek: :(

catfamily
03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Hopefully we'll be able to find out what happens.

Catty1
03-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Kym, is there any point you or someone else contacting this woman with what the shelter person said?

Or invite her to Pet Talk!

I mean - can the shelter person follow up with her?

That poor cat...

DrKym
03-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Candace ,
GMTA! I have emailed her with some info on PT including the link, and also let her know that there are many many cat people here that have very sneaky/tricky cats. That she may be able to find support and help with any challenges the cat may present after covering the cords.

The vibe I get is the hubby is a high tech fan and it is a stone in the marriage.

Haven't heard anything back yet, will certainly copy/paste here any response.

hugs,
Kym

Catty1
03-09-2007, 11:36 PM
GMTA????

Give Me...??????

DrKym
03-09-2007, 11:37 PM
GMTA????

Give Me...??????

GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike :p

Catty1