PDA

View Full Version : what does it sound like when they cough?

ashleycat
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
She's been making this funny sound like she's gonna hurl something up. I'll be calling vet, but other than that she's fine. Should I call vet? or do you think it will pass?

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I would be worried about Kennel Cough. That is how Duke sounded when he had it. I swor he was trying to puke, so I took him to the vets,a nd the vet said it was Kennel Cough. Hope doggie is okay!

ashleycat
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
how do they get kennel cough? or is it just the same as a cough?

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Here is a website, I cant explain it myself, so hope this helps

Kennel Cough (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html)

ashleycat
03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I've been reading about it. HOw often would they cough if they had it? She only coughs a few times a day. Just one cough everynow and then throughout the day. Is it when they keep doing it over and over? Or is it cus it's not bad yet?

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
I've been reading about it. HOw often would they cough if they had it? She only coughs a few times a day. Just one cough everynow and then throughout the day. Is it when they keep doing it over and over? Or is it cus it's not bad yet?
Its because its not bad yet, if that is what is wrong with her. It will get worse if she does have Kennel Cough. I would take her to the vet as soon as you can, the quicker it is treated the better.

ashleycat
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Here is a website, I cant explain it myself, so hope this helps

Kennel Cough (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html)
HOW IS IT TREATED?

Although most cases will go away on their own, we like to think we can hasten recovery with antibiotics to directly kill the Bordetella organism. Alternatively, Kennel Cough may be treated with cough suppressants to provide comfort during natural recovery. Or antibiotics and cough suppressants can be combined.

ashleycat
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
will do. I'm not sure how she got it. Unless it was just airborne. She wasn't around any other dogs, or a kennel for that matter.

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 04:21 PM
When Duke had it, the vet gave him an antibiotic shot, and it was gone within two days.

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
will do. I'm not sure how she got it. Unless it was just airborne. She wasn't around any other dogs, or a kennel for that matter.
I dont know where Duke got it from either, he never around other dogs, and he didnt come from a kennel either?? so who realy knows??

Canis-Lupess
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Both my dogs got kennel cough after Mist got lost one time and ended up in a kennels until we found her.
It started as a hacking type cough like they were choking and then changed into this hoarse sounding horrid thing.
The people at the kennels who were used to dealing with it told us to feed food soft, give them a childrens cough medicine and just try and not let them get excited...which set off the coughing...easier said than done. Try keeping two Border collies from getting excited, lol. Other than the coughing, they were fine and it did clear up on it's own. :)

I know at big places like battersea dogs home in London, there can be more serious strains of kennel cough lurking and dogs who get it there are treated with anti-biotics and such but usually, it doesn't need vet treatment, just a bit of home TLC.

ashleycat
03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
She does does it once, like one sound, and that's it. Then a few hours later she will do it again. So it's not a coughing spell, it's just like one cough. Man, my english sucks. And I'm american. lol

Canis-Lupess
03-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah the initial hacking cough was sort of like that. The hoarse thing it turned into lasted a bit longer and there were a number of them in one coughing fit. Calming the dog down was the best way to stop a coughing fit.

Maybe you dog just has it slight or maybe something else might have caused it. If it doesn't go away soon, maybe a trip to the vets...?

Lori Jordan
03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
HOW IS IT TREATED?

Although most cases will go away on their own, we like to think we can hasten recovery with antibiotics to directly kill the Bordetella organism. Alternatively, Kennel Cough may be treated with cough suppressants to provide comfort during natural recovery. Or antibiotics and cough suppressants can be combined.

My guys had it last year,They will give them antibiotics for it.

Lori Jordan
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM

They don't have to be,All it takes is them to smell another dogs urine.

Lori Jordan
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
She does does it once, like one sound, and that's it. Then a few hours later she will do it again. So it's not a coughing spell, it's just like one cough. Man, my english sucks. And I'm american. lol

Maggy was the same way,i suggest you take the dog to the vet,It can be harmful if not treated.