PDA

View Full Version : what do you consider medium?

IRescue452
03-06-2007, 08:01 AM
What constitutes a medium dog? Everybody has a different answer. There needs to be some universal.

I say between 14-18 inches and 25-50 pounds (it would have to fit both categories because I don't consider a 35 pound-21 inch siberian husky to be medium)

All the replies we get for an ad asking for a medium adult dog are what we consider big. We got two replys for labs, one for a golden retriever, one for a shepherd and so on. I feel so mean turning down these people after their sob stories of why they have to dump their dogs, but don't they see the word medium?

Maybe 50 pounds is small?
Tiny= 10 pounds or less, 7 inches or less
Small=10-25 pounds, 7-14 inches
Medium=25-50 pounds, 14-18 inches

No, even if you add in tiny, I still don't consider 50 pounds to be in the next level.

borzoimom
03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
You are pretty close- its 20 to 55 pounds.

cali
03-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I agree with the weight rage you listed, but NOT the height range.

of my own dogs:

Happy-I, and anyone in their right mind who looks at her would say she is Medium. she is 30lbs, but she is 21" tall.

Misty-I also consider Medium, she is 18" tall and 30lbs

Electra-again, Medium she is 17" tall and 30lbs

Blair-my last medium, he is 15" tall and 22lbs

Ripley-I consider small, he is 13" and 18lbs

Perky-also small, at 12" and 20lbs.

areias
03-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I actually consider medium to be...cocker spaniel/Springer Spaniel/Wheaton Terrier...etc. Large would be lab, shepherd, etc.

.sarah
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
I consider all of my dogs to be medium sized dogs. They are about 19-22" tall. I go more by height than weight, because a dog of the same height can easily be 25 lbs whereas my dogs are 55-70 lbs.

elizabethann
03-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Fenway is 20 pounds and I consider him small. For me, medium is 40-60 pounds.

lute
03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
i consider a medium sized dog to be about 35-60lbs. My Gracie weighs in at 55lbs. She is a medium sized dog.

Flatcoatluver
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I would consider my two dogs medium. When I think of large dogs, I think of great danes, borzois, St. bernard, etc.

Husky_mom
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I go for size too........and also consider medium a cocker, a pit, a bull terrier, a bulldog, a dalmatian, a schnauzer..........

husky, lab, rottie, dobie are big...........on the bigger big, akita, shep, malamute

and huge come the saint, dane, mastiff, etc........

as for small I go with pug, westie, poodle, pom, maltese

and for tiny a chihuahua, yorkie

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I consider anything between 25-60lbs (approximately) to be a medium sized dog, with a height of between 17-23". Large to me is 65+lbs, and anything taller than 24" tall (with a few exceptions).

Danegirl2208
03-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Medium for me would be anywhere from 30-60lbs, breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier, Lab and Husky come to mind... a large dog to me would be over 60lbs.

BCollie_Kelly
03-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I really agree with whats been said. I'd say 30-60 pounds for a medium sized dog (though thats *most of the time*, there are always exceptions)

SunsetRose
03-07-2007, 12:57 AM
To me, a medium sized dog is 25 to 50 pounds. Small would be 25 and under, large between 60 and 100 and giant over 100.

So to me, kelpies, ACD's, Border collies, and aussies are medium. German shepherds, labs, tervurens, malamutes are large. Chihuahuas, mini and toy poodles, shih tzus are small and Irish wolfhounds, great danes, bernards, mastiffs are giant.

Of course it depends on the individual dog. Normally I'd say goldens are large breed, but I've seen some small goldens that I'd classify as medium, same with german shepherds.

And if you go for height, if the dog stands at about 3/4 or less up my calves, it's small. Medium is just below my knee, at my knee or just above my knee (top of my knee measures 22 inches). And large would be well above my knee more like 1/3 of my theigh. And then something like a borzoi....well a borzoi's withers would be just below my hips and their head roughly at my chest.

dab_20
03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I consider Sammy to be medium... he's 19 pounds but could use a couple extra pounds on him. I have no idea what his height is now. I'd say between 20-50 pounds is medium IMO.

cyber-sibes
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm sure there are standards like the ones mentioned, for me it's a question of "as compared to what?". I think of my huskies as medium-large.

Huskies are a medium-size dog (35-60 lbs.), but to people that own small dogs, they seem like large dogs. To people that own large dogs, (shephards, collies, etc.) they seem medium sized. I see quite a few dogs at the dogpark whose owners consider them medium (bassets, labs, pittie-mixes) that outweigh mine by a good 20 lbs, I think it kind of depends what you are used to.

Suki Wingy
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
medium to me is usually 40-60 pounds and height wise, maybe around 17-23 inches. When I look at a dog that may be 45-50 lbs but only comes up to my shins, in my mind it's small. large is a lot taller than that.

Freedom
03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
A few weeks ago when we were watching Westminster, I was surprised to hear the Saints, Wolfhounds and such termed "large breed" by the commentators. I think of them as huge, giant, etc.

The medium sized breeds were the ones which you have said, labs, and such.

I couldn't find anything on AAKC for sizes as a definition. But I did find that the rottie is considered medium to large

http://www.akc.org/breeds/rottweiler/index.cfm

And this is a listing of large breeds from another web site.

http://www.dog-breeds.net/large_dog_breeds.htm

Since there isn't any clear standard (at least, not that I could find in a 5 mintues search,) can you specify more the size or type dog you are looking for? Maybe that would help? Best. Sandra

xcolbi
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I go by height. I consider Colbi to be in between large and medium, she's taller than a medium and shorter than a large dog. I'd say Cocker Spaniels/Border Collies (that's all that comes to mind right now, I'm kind of out of it today. :p Playing my saxophone too much. ;) ) are medium sized, and then Labs/Golden Retrievers, Huskies would be large. Then there's Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards, Great Danes who are extra large.

dab_20
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I go by height. I consider Colbi to be in between large and medium, she's taller than a medium and shorter than a large dog. I'd say Cocker Spaniels/Border Collies (that's all that comes to mind right now, I'm kind of out of it today. :p Playing my saxophone too much. ;) ) are medium sized, and then Labs/Golden Retrievers, Huskies would be large. Then there's Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards, Great Danes who are extra large.

I agree.

Twisterdog
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Hard to say.

I'd call labs, goldens, and collies large.
I'd call mastiffs, danes, and wolfhounds giant.
I'd call miniature poodles, shih tzus and pugs small.

So ... what's left in the middle?
Springers, chows, Australian cattle dogs .. I'd call these medium.
Anything between the size of a cocker spaniel and the size of a lab, perhaps.
Perhaps a dog about knee high?

Just trying to think of some visual representations ... honestly most people have NO idea whatsoever what a dog weighs, how tall it is or how to measure it.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Maybe 50 pounds is small?
Tiny= 10 pounds or less, 7 inches or less
Small=10-25 pounds, 7-14 inches
Medium=25-50 pounds, 14-18 inches

I agree with your assessment...though maybe I would say medium to be 25-60. I consider the corgis to be "medium" sized dogs, and I think they are widely considered medium- they are 10-12" at the shoulder and 25-30 lbs.

But I also consider Adele to be "medium" she's only a bit over 50 lbs, but I think around 22" at the shoulder, so maybe she would really be considered large? Kind of interesting to think about.

vinjashira
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought by medium you mean somebody who can talk to dogs, or ghosts etc :D

Parson Russell Terriers are considered medium, not small according to the Kennel Club but I think Snowy is a small dog though

Twisterdog
03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Parson Russell Terriers are considered medium, not small according to the Kennel Club but I think Snowy is a small dog though

Really? Wow ... I would have never called a PRT a medium sized dog. They are definately a small dog in my mind.

DrKym
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Not much help here, I consider all my dobies a medium size dog, I was raised with danes.
My cocker to me is a small dog.

We have a similar question going on with the bird rescue, I think it is in the perceptions of what you are used to.

The original sizing you posted seems pretty fair and accurate for a standardization though.

vinjashira
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Really? Wow ... I would have never called a PRT a medium sized dog. They are definately a small dog in my mind.

yes :)
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4

mind you, some of them can be as tall as 15"
Snowy is only 11" though