PDA

View Full Version : My Nauna (grandma in Italian) UPDATE 3/27/07

Reachoutrescue
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Well, right now I am sitting in the hospital room with my Nauna (thankfully on my aunt't laptop!!). She was admitted Saturday. She is 88 years old and has several things wrong. She has breast cancer, she is in renal failure, she is very diabetic, and her heart is weak. It all started on Thrusday. She seemed to have the flu, throwing up and diahrea (sorry if I spelt that wrong). Friday she was worse. Her blood sugar has been good lately, so her doctor took her off the medication for now because it was dropping too low. Well, on Thursday, her blood sugar sky rocketed to over 300, so my aunt put her back on the medicinel. On Friday night is was about 180. Saturday when my aunt went to wake up my Nauna, she wouldn't wake up. She was breathing and had her eyes open but not responding and was making a groaning sound. My aunt checked her blood sugar and it was at 11. She call 911. The emt said if she waited 15 more minutes, my Nauna would have been dead. It was touch and go all day Saturday. My Nauna told my family that she was going to die. I went and saw her yesterday and she looked so bad. I came back today and she is doing a lot better. She looks good and is more aware of things. She keeps telling me to eat and she wants to go home. She always wants everbody to eat...ALL the time!! That is an pure italian for you!! I was told that she said she saw my grandfather (who passed away before I was born) and he was with her the whole time in the ER and when she was admitted to her room. She told my aunt that he wanted her to go with him. She didn't though. We know she is waiting for something before she can go with my grandfather. Alot of us in the family think it is my dad she is waiting for. He moved to Arizona back in '99 and hasn't visited since October 2005. She tells him all the time she wants him to come home. He is suppose to be coming out in about two to three weeks.

Well, I will be here tonight and all day tomorrow. I will then go to her house on Wed. and stay over night to take care of her. I know my time with her is limited, so I will be by her as much as I can. I may not be posting a lot for a bit, not until things mellow around here. But I will pop in when I get a chance.

Thanks for letting me get this all out and for listening. I just hope my Nauna finds what she is waiting for so she could go and be with my grandfather and not suffer anymore. I will miss her, but I can not be selfish.

My Nauna, Donata :)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/nauna.jpg

kimlovescats
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
My prayers are with your Nauna and your family!

Catty1
03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I hope your dad can come out sooner...

After my dad died, my mom lent me a book given her by the hospice nurses. It said that people can hang on for a very long time, waiting for that last bit of closure. They have more control over when they leave than we think.

I wish your Nauna Donata well, and I hope she sees your dad. But she will know he is there, no matter what.

HUGS

KittyGurl
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I am so sorry about your Nauna! I hope she gets better :(
It's so nice of you to give up your own time to see your Nauna ;) That shows you really love her. I hope your Nuana gets better so she doesn't suffer anymore. Prayers are coming your way!

DrKym
03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Prayers and candles lit for you in this time!
Our best hopes for everything,
blessed be.

Kym

angelbow20
03-06-2007, 02:09 PM
My gram had the same exact problems yours does... Its really hard, my grandparents lived with my family towards the end and pretty much raised me my whole life because my mom was young and working all the time, I lost my gram when she was only in her late 60s early 70s. It was one of the hardest things I ever went through, I hope your grandmother gets better and I will pray for her.

Reachoutrescue
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Thank you everybody for your kind words. This is very hard for me. Giving up my time is nothing. I would be there everyday if I could. I took off of work today and stayed at the hospital a little longer then planned. My boss was so horrible. She actually had the nerve to tell me "well if you wanted the whole week off, you could of told me last week and I would've gave it to you". I told her, "Yeah, I'm was suppose to know last week that my Naun was going to be in the hospital this wekk!!" I hate stupid, ignorant people.

Well, my Nauna did go home today and we have to have somebody with her 24 hours. I will stay home tonight and my cousin will stay with her. I will go and be with her tomorrow night until Thursday. She looks a lot better today, even if she kept me up all night!! She never sleeps at night, but then during the day wants too! That's okay, just one more sacrifice. I still love her, always!!

Thank you again everybody for your support. I will keep you posted.

My Nauna and my boys 1/01/07.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/theboysandnauna1-28-07.jpg

kimlovescats
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm glad to hear that Nauna is home! What a sweet picture! :)

Reachoutrescue
03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I have not been on PT much lately. I have been spending a lot of time with my family. My Nauna is doing okay. The doctor gave her 6 months. Her kidneys are going, she has breast cancer and a lump on her lung. Her heart is now very weak and her diabetes is bad. She sleeps alot. I have been there everyday over the weekend to see her and I am going there again today. My parents came in from Arizona. That cheered her up a lot. We beleive once my parent leave on Monday, it won't be long til my Naun lets go of her hold on life. She wants to go and be with my Nauno (grandpa). We know it is going to happen, we just wish it wouldn't. Thanks for listening.

Daisy and Delilah
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
{{{{{{{Super Hugs}}}}}}}

pitc9
03-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Glad she's home!!

Kfamr
03-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I am sorry she isn't doing well but am glad she is home with her family. Your boys are so sweet.

Reachoutrescue
03-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you very much everybody. All we can do now is keep her happy and comfortable, and spend as much time as possible with her.