PDA

View Full Version : Help with an interview

slleipnir
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I applied for a school to be a Vet Tech. I've heard good things about it, however, they only take 24 students a year. I really need to impress them with the interview.

I was talking to a guy and he said not to say that I'm here because I love animals. I'm not really sure what else to say if they ask why I'm there? My love for animals is really the main reason I want to do it??

Any ideas for helping an interview go well I would appreciate it

Marigold2
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Tell them that you are looking for a career where you can learn and grow not just a job

Karen
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
You can incorporate you love of animals into your answer. You can say that, because you have loved animals you whole life, you want to be a vet tech to help them heal. That you want to not only be able to help the animals, but also to help the people who own the pets understand and care for them better.

I know he said not to say "because I love animals" - but that's probably what everyone says, and it's not a complete answer!

Talk about what you hope to learn, and mention helping people help their animals, as well as assisting the veterinarian in caring for the critters. If you want, mention that improving the health and well-being of pets is important for the community, that elders with pets live longer, happier lives, but may need extra help caring for them ...

Daisy and Delilah
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Tell them that you feel you can contribute alot, you're a dedicated, conscientious worker, and you feel you're the right person for the job.

A love for animals doesn't necessarily get the job done(in their eyes). You have to convince them that you would be the most qualified candidate for the position's requirements. In other words, they want a person that can accomplish given assignments, correctly, efficiently, and in a reasonable amount of time. Your love of animals will always help you with the job but it can't be your top priority.

Example: Someone wants a job at a bakery. Just because this person loves cake doesn't mean they will be the best worker the bakery can hire :) I hope this makes sense. You can tell how tired I am :rolleyes:

Audrey: I don't mean to sound like you won't do a good job. I'm just explaining why this guy is saying this to you. Good luck. I know you'll do great!! :) :) :)

Giselle
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I went through this a while ago (not as a tech, just as an apprentice/shadow). Show that you are eager to learn and that you are capable of doing so. What people like seeing is ambition and passion. Sure, everybody loves animals, but there are some who possess a strong passion to further the welfare of animals. Some find their paths in shelter work, but emphasize that you feel your passion is in veterinary medicine. Show that you are very serious about your work and that you are highly interested in medicine. Show that you are ready and willing to dedicate yourself to the job. Have you any prior experiences with animals and vet med? You should emphasize that as well, and how it affected you (made your passion to heal animals stronger). Good luck! It's an exciting thing :)

Karen
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh, also, you can mention growing up with dogs, and the vet visits you have had that impressed you as being a job you wanted to do. Mention any specific medical issues you have dealt with with your pets.

slleipnir
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Also this is a college not a job :) I want to get into to the school so I can get a job as a vet tech :D But they only take 24 students a year so an interview is a must

Thanks for all the info :D

lizbud
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I think you've gotten very good advice, so I'll just wish you good luck.
I'm sure you would be a wonderful Vet Tech. :)

king2005
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm so excited for you!

I wanted to go to the Vet College, but eh, I don't have the brains. My Grandma use to buy me sweaters from there. I still have 1. Its over 15yrs old & still fits (I haven't grown much lol).

I assume the Vet Tech program is at the Vet College in C-town correct?
Its soooo pretty! & I think its the #1 in the country or something

Treat it like a job, dress up, tell them your experiences so far, & that you want to expand on your education to help better animal lives & their owners, & the community.

slleipnir
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm so excited for you!

I wanted to go to the Vet College, but eh, I don't have the brains. My Grandma use to buy me sweaters from there. I still have 1. Its over 15yrs old & still fits (I haven't grown much lol).

I assume the Vet Tech program is at the Vet College in C-town correct?
Its soooo pretty! & I think its the #1 in the country or something

Treat it like a job, dress up, tell them your experiences so far, & that you want to expand on your education to help better animal lives & their owners, & the community.

Nope. It's in Nova Scotia (Agricultrial College) I know vets who work at the AVC though and say lots of good things about NSAC's program

Daisy and Delilah
03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Ahhhhh!!!! Where is my head?? I saw Vet Tech....I thought job. oops :o Sorry. Best wishes, I hope you get in :)

Please just ignore everything I said :D :rolleyes: :confused: