PDA

View Full Version : When Multi-Cat Households Aren't A Good Thing

K & L
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Everyone

I’ve been away with a pretty bad case of pneumonia. I’m just now feeling like even posting or reading any threads. After being this ill it made me wonder if I should get rid of some of our cats, and which ones would they be?

There was no way I could clean my house. Just trying to change the indoor litter boxes was more than I could handle. Kevin helped in every way he could, but there were times he wasn’t here and things had to be done, like feeding. Thank goodness he was here to feed the park cats!

With considerable thinking there is just no way I could ever choose which cats I would no longer have. But being sick like this sure has made me realize there may be a day when we could not handle all of this. It sure is scary wondering where, who, and how we would deal with this.

kimlovescats
03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
First of all, I'm sorry you have been so sick! I had double pneumonia in 2004 and was in the hospital for 13 days. Then I was home oxygen for a week after that! PLEASE be careful and if you don't feel "right" ... get back to your doctor!!! Dr. Goodnow just had a hospital stay for pneumonia too!

As far as your cats, I for one TOTALLY understand. Now you know why I did what I had to do recently with rehoming so many of mine. Trust me, it wasn't easy and I still miss them! The way I narrowed it down, was to pick the ones who I knew were most "adoptable" ... outgoing, cuddly, etc.... and then also the ones who I felt would be happier in one-cat households. I'm sure there are those of yours who you know are a bit stressed by so many others, and would probably be a bit more settled with less company! ;) Of course there are always those "heart kitties" that no one could ever take away from you ... and they HAVE to stay! :) I tried to just convince myself that there really are other homes that were capable of taking care of them .. I just had to look and be very careful. I can honestly say that I was comfortable with all of my placements.

Whether or not you decide to do some re-homing or not, I understand your position either way! ;)

Get feeling better!

Hugs,
Kim

DrKym
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
After having a bout that landed me in the hospital, I do understand where you are coming from. It did prompt me to call those that I have previously made arrangements for my animals with if something should happen, as I know Jasper couldn't possibly do all of them hold down his job and raise our kids by himself. (and if I go first I ntend to haunt him so he never remarries :p )

I am glad that I did call those people and to honestly discuss and re evaluate what they can are willing to take on.

Very good thread topic thank you!, and I am so glad to hear you are on the mend!

kym

Catty1
03-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Do you have good friends/colleagues on standby should something happen?

(God forbid).

I know Gary made arrangements with a boarding place to take his cats if he predeceases them. I don't know the details, but I am sure payment will be looked after by his estate. The kitties will be in the lap of luxury for life (missing the lap of their Pawpie).

I need to provide for any pets in my will - for care, if nothing else. How about starting a new thread for ideas?

HUGS - glad you feel better! :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that you've been so sick.:( I sure hope that you'll feel better soon and I'm glad to see you posting again.:) When I was sick for about 5 days in Jan., I could barely take care of my 6 cats so I can only imagine what you've been going through.:(

I know it would be very hard for you and Kevin to rehome any of your cats but you really should think about a plan for the future because no one is getting any younger and you never know when your time will be up. I know that I also need to do this too. It really is something for all of us to think about. Please take care.

catfamily
03-06-2007, 05:35 AM
I am planning on making a will for everything and my cats as soon as we get some extra money from my mom's house sale.I know I won't get much from it and also know we'll still have a high mortgage(Both of us retired).But I will at least be able to afford a lawayer to get my cats in there(Whatever I decide)so I need not to be so overly worried about this also.I'll do something like what Gary is doing.Noone else I know seems to care about the care of my cats if me and Mike go.So I need to do something.My family (the ones that are left),don't care where the cats go.They may even push them out the door knowing them. :eek: :(

jazzcat
03-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Lisa I'm so sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope you are better and can take it easy to make sure you are fully recovered.

I can understand your fears and concerns. Just being down a few days from surgery made me realize how much I really do in the day to day care of my cats. I know for most people it would be overwhelming and at that time I just had 5 cats and then the rescued kittens. For us, we are past our limit on cats and I know that I should not add any more. I never meant to add two more kittens but it just happened. I know your numbers are multiples of mine and the thoughts of what if are probably very scary.

(((HUGS)))

Freedom
03-06-2007, 07:52 AM
I hope you continue to feel better. I had pneumonia some years back, and was out of work for 6 weeks. Then when I returned to work, it was only part time for 4 months. So start slowly to get back into things!

jennielynn1970
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I need to provide for any pets in my will - for care, if nothing else. How about starting a new thread for ideas?

When my grandpa died in 1996, he was taking care of about 25 outdoor cats and was down to 2 cats indoors. When the lawyer went over his will, imagine my father's surprise when his two indoor cats were left with more money than he was, lol. He didn't care, he actually wasn't expecting anything much to be left over, but my grandpa made sure that his kitties were taken care of. The outdoor ones had other families that were going to make sure they were looked after.

catmandu
03-06-2007, 09:46 AM
The Day May Come When Age And Infirmity May Make It Hard For Me To Care For The 12 Found Cats.
When That Happens They Will Good To A Great Place The Pampered Feline Where They Will Have Nice Rooms, Outdoor Runs And Great Food And Vet Care.lets Hope That This Day Is Far Off.
And We All Hope That You Are Feeling Better Very Soon.

Medusa
03-06-2007, 10:02 AM
When I had another jaw surgery a couple of years ago, when I got home I wasn't allowed to bend over or put any pressure on my jaw in case I would start bleeding. So it was difficult, to say the least, to care for my fur posse, especially when one wanted to be picked up, usually Creamsicle and it's next to impossible to refuse her. I have an ex-boyfriend who has cats and who still says he would take mine if something were to happen to me. And I know my son would want to but he lives across country and travels a lot. And his apt. is small and he isn't allowed pets anyhow. I've thought about this a lot and I know I need to make arrangements for them but I'm stumped as to what to do.

Blessings,
Mary

catfamily
03-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Are you over your pneumonia?
I had it 2 times before about 15 years ago but never got it again.Just strep thoat from time to time.And now that I'm not working(With the public),I never get sick anymore.But having severe back problems is making it hard to live.I need Mike to help with the cats.At least the litterboxes.
I hope your all better.That's a rough illness to get over.
were you able to get a neighbor or friend to help?

K & L
03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Are you over your pneumonia?

Not yet. I go back to the Dr. on the 8th and go from there. I'm very susceptible to pneumonia and years ago had the pneumonia shot. They said after I'm over this bout I will need a booster and then again when I'm in my 60's. I even had the flu shot this year but have been sick off and on since before Christmas. It's been a tough one this time. Seems I just keep getting things over and over again. I'm even taking vitamins!

catfamily
03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh geez...I know your soooo worried too about the cats...But please worry more for yourself.Is their a plan for later for the cats in the park later?When you guys can no longer do it?
But...like I said...it may be time to just think of yourselve so that you can get better.Your worrying will make you sicker.
I know....it's so hard to think about it.I wish there was an answer.Maybe you can put an add in the paper or email start a help page at least for the park cats to get others in on it?

K & L
03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Oh geez...I know your soooo worried too about the cats...But please worry more for yourself.Is their a plan for later for the cats in the park later?When you guys can no longer do it?
But...like I said...it may be time to just think of yourselve so that you can get better.Your worrying will make you sicker.
I know....it's so hard to think about it.I wish there was an answer.Maybe you can put an add in the paper or email start a help page at least for the park cats to get others in on it?

At this point Kevin is able to handle the park cats and most issues with cats at home. This all just got me to thinking about the "what ifs". I know we can get help temporarily, but on a long term basis would be another thing.

Thanks everyone!

Bengalz
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Lisa,

First, this is an excellent thread and I appreciate the things that concern you most. Please take care of your health - it is really the only thing of value any of us have :)

Second, your concerns about the welfare of your kitties is very unselfish and I commend you for considering their well being. Whatever your decisions, their best interests will be foremost in your mind, of that I am certain :)

Hugs and feel better,
Betty

rg_girlca
03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to hear that you have been sick. Prayers on the way that you have a full recovery.

I can just imagine what it must be like to wonder what would happen to ALL your babies if, and that's a BIG IF, anything should happen to you guys. I often think about that myself with my guys.