PDA

View Full Version : the days before the internet and google??

Cookiebaker
03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
How on earth did people survive???

Thanks to google, I finally figured out what song was going through my head for the last week -- "She's Not Crying Anymore" and put an end to the endless aggravation. :D

(sorry for the stupid thread but I'm just so excited to have finally figured it out) :rolleyes:

BC_MoM
03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
They survived with Yahoo!

Karen
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Nope, there was no Yahoo before the Internet!

Before the Internet was popular, people had these multi-volume sets of books called encyclopedias, dictionaries, and some of us belong to message-boards you had to dial in to using your modem.

BC_MoM
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Nope, there was no Yahoo before the Internet!

lol, Sorry, I read too fast.

Before the Internet was popular, people had these multi-volume sets of books called encyclopedias, dictionaries, and some of us belong to message-boards you had to dial in to using your modem.

I was watching a History of the Internet show a few weeks ago and it showed something like that. It seemed really weird! lol

Catty1
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I got this on my Thought for Today(March 5):

Did you know...

... that today is Cray Supercomputer Birthday (1977)? The first Cray-1 Supercomputer was shipped to the Los Alamos Laboratories in New Mexico on this day. It cost $19 million and the monthly electrical bill at the time was $35,000. Wow!

DJFyrewolf36
03-06-2007, 02:02 AM
I got this on my Thought for Today(March 5):

Did you know...

... that today is Cray Supercomputer Birthday (1977)? The first Cray-1 Supercomputer was shipped to the Los Alamos Laboratories in New Mexico on this day. It cost $19 million and the monthly electrical bill at the time was $35,000. Wow!

To think now you can get just about as much computing power as that with a palm sized computer now days, and for only about $300 at most! The leaps of technology even in the time period that I've been around computers is astrinomical

I still don't remember what I did before the digitalness took over my life...although I was pretty much born into it. I had my first "Computer" by four (it was a C64, I still love that thing when I can coax it to work :D )

Rachel
03-06-2007, 05:31 AM
I don't know about *people* per se but I for one, moved around a bit more rather than growing roots to my desk chair. Yes, the wonders of the Internet are many, but its enticement does have a down side. Without the Internet constantly calling me, I would have a cleaner house, be more active, and weigh less.

Freedom
03-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Before the Internet -

you had to REALLLY want to know the answer to something. Then make a trip to the library and figure out how to get your answer. Many times I'd wonder about something but couldn't get to the library and so eventually forgot about it.

Now, I find my self getting up at 2 AM to check something! :rolleyes: Back in bed and asleep in about 20 minutes, but the question has an answer.

columbine
03-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Did you know...

... that today is Cray Supercomputer Birthday (1977)? The first Cray-1 Supercomputer was shipped to the Los Alamos Laboratories in New Mexico on this day. It cost $19 million and the monthly electrical bill at the time was $35,000. Wow!And most of that wasn't for the Cray, it was for the AIR CONDITIONING because the Cray generated so much heat that it would have cooked itself it they didn't have the A/C running full blast 24/7.

So get those papers and cables away from your computer's air vents, and vacuum the fur and crumbs off your desk!

Love, Columbine