PDA

View Full Version : Kids die in hot car...

Ann
07-01-2002, 07:05 AM
I read an news article online today about some woman we left her two kids in a car while having her hair done, and both the kids died from the heat. It reminded me of the police dogs who have died this same, horrible way... It's awful :( What's even more sickening is that the so called mother lied to the police to begin with, saying she had been abducted and raped and when she was able to flee she found her kids dead. In reality she had just been in a hair salon for more than three hours, and when she came back and found her kids dead she drove around in her car for two hours, making up the story for the police.

Here (http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm9887_20020629.htm) is the article.

Ann
07-01-2002, 07:09 AM
And here (http://www.freep.com/news/locoak/kids1_20020701.htm) is an update, which explains which sentences the "mother" may get but it also has some really disturbing details about the poor children, so be warned.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-01-2002, 08:34 AM
That article made me want to throw up! It made me sick! What kind of person would do something like that? Didn't anyone see those poor kids? They could have gotten them help or tried to get them out!

mugsy
07-01-2002, 09:11 AM
What kind of a special kind of stupid is this woman? I feel the same way I do about anyone who abuses or kills any other person. They deserve the same punishment. Let her sit inside a BLACK car for God's sake, in the sun, in 86 degree weather for 3 hours and that can be her punishment. And IF she lives THEN she can sit in prison the rest of her life.

I'm sorry that's so harsh, but that kind of stupid, irresponsible behavior drives me over the edge and I don't take kindly to it. So, if I offended anyone, I apologize, but that's how I feel.

pupper-lover
07-01-2002, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately, this type of thing is not all that uncommon. A few years ago, some kids died in a hot car, while the "adults" went wandering in the woods, with another one of the kids, looking for mushrooms to eat. It takes a certified idiot to achieve this amount of stupidity. The "adults" even ended up being hospitalized for eating poison mushrooms! Weren't we all issued a brain during our 9 month stay in the womb?

A kid around here was lost for a few days, when he was left asleep in a truck, and had woken up and wandered off. His dad had gone hunting and didn't want to disturb "junior", by waking him up. He just left the kid alone in a truck in the woods. The kid was found okay. He was lucky not to have been shot. How about a baby-sitter next time?

It's not surprising that so many dogs die of overheating and neglect. So many people seem don't even seem have any common sense when it comes to their children. Argh, It's frustrating!

Sam's My Baby
07-01-2002, 10:49 AM
This is soo sick.:( How could she do that to her children? Does she even have any common sense?:( :( :mad:

Pam
07-01-2002, 12:55 PM
This is one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever read. What makes it even more horrific is the fact that the mother drove around trying to come up with a phony story to explain how the children happened to be alone in that car for so long. Obviously she knew right from wrong. Instead of racing to seek medical help (if it wasn't indeed too late) she was thinking only of herself. Maybe it is a blessing that these two precious little ones are no longer in her care but are in the arms of their Heavenly Father. :( So, so sad!!!

07-01-2002, 01:14 PM
This is sooooo sick ....
I feel so bad about this , that I cannot find words to tell my disgust ......
That woman is not word having kids at all , and she deserves the worst penalty and burning in hell !!! Da........... her !!!!!!!!!!
UGH

Former User
07-01-2002, 01:32 PM
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/crying2.gif I fee so sorry for these babies...I can only hope they are feeling better now.
What comes to this woman then...geez, where the heck was her brain anyway? Leave your kids in the car alone in the first place is stupid, but in the hot, boiling car, is more than stupid! Oh geez, this makes me so angry!!!! Molly, you said things like I'd like to say them, I feel exactly the way you do! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mad1.gifhttp://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mad1.gif

Edwina's Secretary
07-01-2002, 02:55 PM
It is stories like this that come to my mind when I hear people talk about "the birth mother" or the "birth parent" or the "blood family" always being the best choice for a child.

Procreating doesn't require great skill....parenting does.

pupper-lover
07-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Procreating doesn't require great skill....parenting does.

Indeed!!

sammi
07-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Oh my god those poor, poor children how they must have suffered. Its heart breaking.
Since this has been on the rise ( are people so wrapped up in their own world they forget the children?) maybe something needs to be invented that sets off a alarm if it can detect humans/animals in a car with drastic temp changes?

mugsy
07-01-2002, 06:35 PM
Mike thinks she should be immediately sterilized since she doesn't use the good sense God gave her. He also pointed out that she would go to a women's prison and she won't last. Those women in there will eat her for lunch. Not that I think that's a bad thing you see.

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-01-2002, 08:03 PM
I just want to cry when I think of what this world is coming to. It seems like adults are slipping farther and farther away from responsability! Why don't people care about children anymore? It seems like no one seems to care what they see on t.v., what they say, WHAT THEY DO!!! Why do people act like children are intrusions in their life? :( :( :(

mugsy
07-01-2002, 10:33 PM
Why do people act like children are intrusions in their life?

Because they're too damned self absorbed. Sorry for the language.

I see it everyday at school. It's unbelievable how many kids at school look at the teachers as surrogate parents because they're own parents don't give a crap about them.

sasvermont
07-02-2002, 06:34 AM
I can't think of a better way to help prevent this kind of thing from happening again and again, than to educate these people. Folks just don't understand it - or it seems that way, anyway.

My question is why didn't anyone else notice the children in the car?

In my town, we often call the authorities when we see a dog/pet or child in the car for an extended period of time. I suppose the car could have been in an isolated area, but somehow I don't think so.

The blame is strictly on the mother, but maybe someone else could have called the police. How very, very sad. I just don't get it and never will.

I think some people must have brain damage and should not be in a position to have children or pets.

But that's another story for another time. Its a free world, for the most part, and you get to do what you want to do, until you are found out!

Thank goodness the majority of people are responsible.

Ann
07-02-2002, 06:43 AM
Sorry to have upset so many people with my post, I just felt that something like this should get out to so many people as possible, as to prevent things like this from happening.

If I ever saw an animal or human stuck in a hot car, I wouldn't call the police, I'd break the window and get them out. I couldn't care less if I ruin the car in the process or what.

If that woman had been a real mother in any way, she would have gone to the hospital with her kids no matter how dead they seemed. To have droven around like that for hours, trying to make up a story to get out of a punishment is the real sick thing here IMHO.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-02-2002, 06:47 AM
Ann, I don't think you upset anyone. I think the Pet Talkers are just expressing their disgust with the whole story.

I too wondered why no one had helped those lil kids. Surely someone must have seen them!

sasvermont
07-02-2002, 07:11 AM
Ann, I truly appreciate your concern over these poor children. I don't, however, agree with your comment about breaking the window yourself. First of all, when you call the police, they will also call for rescue if you ask and the rescue people are far better at reviving a dying person than the average person. Secondly, the police are required to investigate the incident and will, in most cases, report the deed to the appropriate authorities, and in some cases have the children removed from that family/mother/father/guardian. I see what you mean, time is important, but I think, that unless you are in a remote area of the country, the police are better to call. I think it is important to keep in mind what happens after the child/pet is removed from the car. Also, here in the US, you can be sued for damaging someone's property. You can also go to jail for leaving a child in the car. All this has to come about as a result of calling the police first.

I hope this does not offend you, and I truly understand your concern and worry about getting to the child/pet in time. I too would try to open the door, but if it is locked, well, the police can get in much faster and better.

Thanks for the story and I hope it gives anyone/everyone pause so that they too can keep their eyes open to this problem and to help a child/pet in this situation.

Thanks Ann. (((((((((((((Ann))))))))))))))))))))

lovemymaltese
07-02-2002, 02:05 PM
I heard about that, it is so aweful. Something similar happened last summer as well. Two men went fishing all day leaving their two small children buckled in their car seats while sitting in a non- airconditioned black car with the windows rolled up, parked in the sun. What are people thinking?

mugsy
07-02-2002, 02:43 PM
I wondered too why no one did anything about it. I can't believe that people didn't walk by the car. And if I saw kids with their mouths to the window trying to get air I would break the window too!! Police called after the kids were safe. And if that moronic woman wants to sue me...go right ahead, but the money wouldn't do much good when her butt is rotting in jail.

Ann....you are a good person. Sasvermont...I do understand what you're saying too. People are just too stupid for words sometimes.

Karen
07-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Remeber, Ann is in another country, and may have different expectation or experiences with response time.

If I had been there, I would have called 911 - told them the situation and place, and asked how soon they could get there. Then absolutely, if the children seemed desperate, I would have found a way into the car. I would have also screamed at the top of my lungs for anyone in the area to come help, and to see if they could find the mother. I would have tried all the doors, tried to pry down the window, and if all else failed, spoken to the older child to comfort and inform that help was on the way if he was conscious, told the little one to cover his eyes, and I would have broken the wiindow furthest away from the children, and at least gotten them out of the car into cooler air while the ambulance came.

But that's just me.

Logan
07-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Well, this is such a terrible story, and I read today that the mother has been indicted on first degree murder charges, as she should be. I think we all interpret the story the same way.......we are all caring people, who can't conceive of anyone doing such a thing. It is a shame that two precious children lost their lives over such a stupid act by their mother. :(

Gepansy
07-02-2002, 07:47 PM
How sickening and sad.:(