PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be brave

Pawsitive Thinking
03-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Tuesday will be the second anniversary of the horrid day that I lost my Dad :( . Am doing my best to remember all the great times we had together but can feel a familiar dark cloud looming overhead......... Its amazing that as someone who has trouble remembering what she had for dinner the previous day, I can recall every detail of 6 March 2005 :rolleyes:

Any jokes, silly stories or daft pictures that will bring a smile to my face will be gratefully received :D

moosmom
03-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Oh Brody's Mum, I'm so sorry for your loss. He looked like a very loving, caring man.

My Dad passed away 10 years ago this coming August. He was my hero.

Think of all the good times and laughs you had with him. That's what keeps me going.

Hopefully, this will put a smile on your face...

My dad and I were walking into the Hartford Times Reunion. He was puffing on his stogie. As I opened the door, he put the cigar on the ground right hear the door.

Me: Um Dad, why don't you just put it in the ashtray??

Dad (looking horrified): :eek: Are you KIDDING me??? It still has a few good puffs left on it. Would YOU pick it up and smoke it??

Me: :eek: EEEeeeeewwwww!!!

Dad (looking smug) Exactly my point.

Sure enough, as we left the reunion, he picked it up, lit it and went on his way. :rolleyes:

cyber-sibes
03-04-2007, 10:28 AM
(((hugs))) Those anniversary dates always bring a touch of sadness, but it does lessen over time. I lost my mom 14 yers ago the day before my birthday, and every year I still get very sad, but I keep the happy memories alive too. Something that really helped me is that I've made it a day of honoring her memory by doing something special in celebration of my mom & me.

Kalei
03-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I thought some of these may bring a smile to your face...hopefully:)

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/31012E4A-A8F4-45B9-999608D7AAFE68AD.jpg

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/1FC05260-1F6F-4445-82ECE0E1A6B9C2A6.jpg

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/C6D09887-A71F-49F5-BC6A214FBB84C56F.jpg
Smiling bunny:D

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/2CFF3A3A-F3DC-4628-815AF04B763B2406.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
03-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys. Have decided to take tomorrow one step at a time...will take some flowers to the crematorium and have a quiet lunch with Katie. May go in to work later....and then again I may not ;)

Lobodeb
03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
My dad will be gone 2 years in May, so I can definitely relate to how you're feeling.

I just try to remember that my dad is no longer in pain. He no longer has to deal with whatever agony he was in. He's free now. That helps me. I don't know how your dad was taken from you, but hopefully, thinking of it that way will help you too.

It always helps me to talk about the old times with my dad too. Bring up goofy things that we did together, things he used to say and do. Laughter through tears is a wonderful emotion.

Hugs to you and your family.

JenBKR
03-05-2007, 10:52 AM
((((hugs)))) I know how difficult tomorrow will be for you - maybe you should just take the day off work. Spend time with Katie, let Archie, Tobey, and Brody spoil YOU for a change ;)

gini
03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
My heart goes out to you. I understand your feelings because my own Dad passed away on Thanksgiving morning. Of course, Thanksgiving doesn't always fall on the same day each year - but just the same it is always a reminder of the day that I lost him.

The pain does lessen - but I would imagine your Dad would not want you to be sad all day. He is the one that is now in a better place - pain free and free of life's problems.

Think about something really wonderful that you shared together and take joy that you had that time with him and that he loved you. He would probably much rather see your smiles than tears running down your cheeks.

Dorothy39
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
First off, I'm so very sorry that you have lost your Dad~ {{HUGS}}}

My Father will have been gone 11 years this August, yet it seems as though it has only been a fews months. To say "I Miss HIM" is an understatement, as he is so much a part of me each and every single day.

While remembering your Dad tomorrow, I sincerely hope that he will "jolt" a joyous, even a , Humorous Memory, that will put a smile on your face. :o

Any jokes, silly stories or daft pictures that will bring a smile to my face will be gratefully received :D[/QUOTE]

I'll be back with some silly stuff later~ :cool:

Take Care .

Dorothy39
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Okay Denise, I'm back with a funny picture~ (It made me laugh when Randi posted this anyway)

4 Dog Mother
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
You don't have to be brave. Let yourself mourn the loss of someone so special as your dad. Cry - you will feel better. But as the others have said, think of the good times you had with him. He is in a better place - we are the ones feeling the loss and the pain and the how do we go ons. I love to look at pictures of my son (2 years ago this July he died) and think of things we did together. Funny things he said or did. His birthday is just a couple of weeks away and like you I know it is going to be tough.

As for a joke - (will make you groan more than smile though)

A hungry lion was roaming through the jungle looking for something
to eat.

He came across two men: One was sitting under a tree reading a
book; the other was typing away on his typewriter.

The lion quickly pounced on the man reading the book and devoured
him.

Even the King of the Jungle knows readers digest and writers cramp.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

joycenalex
03-06-2007, 06:38 PM
this is my most favorite silly 3rd grade type saying, and i still smile ....you can tune a piano, so why can't you tuna fish.....((BIG HUGS))

Pawsitive Thinking
03-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Thank you all so much :D

Lobodeb
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
If you don't mind posting, how did the day go yesterday?

I know for me, the time leading up to the anniversary/birthday, what have you, is usually worse than the day itself.

JenBKR
03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Still thinking about you Denise, glad you made it through yesterday. (I think Denise took some time off work today too, so hopefully she will update us tomorrow). ((((hugs))) to you my dear friend.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-08-2007, 05:51 AM
The day started with a nice text from my brother which set me off :rolleyes: then I took some flowers and a poem to the crematorium. I sat in the remembrance garden in the rain for a while willing John Denver to sing just that little bit quicker and as I went to get into my car my Mum pulled up. Spent some time with her then went to lunch with Katie.

I then popped into work for a whole 90 minutes :eek: and went home to spend the evening with my family. I shed a few tears but thought more about how Dad was before Parkinsons...

I did a spot of retail therapy yesterday afternoon and can honestly say that the cloud has lifted and I feel good :D

Thanks to all of you for your kind messages of love and support - they helped me cope so much better. I wish I'd found PT years ago when Dad was first diagnosed but maybe finding you all so soon after his death was how it was meant to be

jackmilliesmom
03-08-2007, 06:20 AM
On Tuesday 20th of March my dad will be dead 16 years he was 47 years old and died of a coronary thrombosis on the side of the road without any of us with him. He had all the medical help he could have needed as there was a nurse and an ambulance man on the scene and there was a priest stuck in traffic near him on the day also. I still cry and get down around that time. I miss him badly especially in my times of crisis he always seemed to have the answer or at least with a look or a hug or a wink you knew you would be fine. So my friend if you will allow me to call you that I sympathise and send you one of the warmest most understanding hugs that can be sent to you. I always beleive though that he is with me no matter what and if I need to I sometimes chat to him and ask him to help me through the day and I think he does.

Take care and again (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) to you.

Tuesday will be the second anniversary of the horrid day that I lost my Dad :( . Am doing my best to remember all the great times we had together but can feel a familiar dark cloud looming overhead......... Its amazing that as someone who has trouble remembering what she had for dinner the previous day, I can recall every detail of 6 March 2005 :rolleyes: