PDA

View Full Version : Maize Mats

Karen
03-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Ever since we got Miss Hoppy, I have bought maize mats - flooring from Pier One that comes in 1-foot squares, made from braided corn husks. They are used to line her cage, to chew on and tear apart and eat, to form a "cave under a kitchen shelf, and to give bunny-sized relaxing spots on the kitchen floor.

Pier One no longer stocks them, I cannot even order them there any more. Anyone know any other sources for such things? I just checked Ikea, they didn't have anything like it ...

buttercup132
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
There is grass mats from Super Pet and Pet Smart I'm sure you can order them through the net. They do the same thing but they are made out of dried grasses.

moosmom
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I got my mat at BB&B and use it under my cats box. It catches the dust from the wood pellets. All I do is shake it out the window (God help anyone standing below :p )

ForCHINate Chins
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi!

I'm new here, but I thought I'd speak up. I run a chinchilla rescue and have an online store that carries chin supplies that supports my rescue. One thing I carry are Maize mats and Seagrass mats as well as a bunch of other things that are ok for chinchillas, bunnies, and birds!

I have 2 sizes of mats....6"x6" and 12" x 12"

My site is www.geocities.com/forchinatechins/chincessories

Thank you and sorry this is my first post, LOL usually I at least introduce myself before I post on a forum. :)

Karen
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Thank you - I have been looking at online places, as Miss Hoppy right now has two straw mats in her cage from PetSmart - thanks, I didn't think to check there - but clearly prefers the maize kind. The straw ones have too many pokey bits, I think, for my (spoiled you say?) little brown bunny!

cassiesmom
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm.... Karen... I need to make a petsmart run tomorrow ... I'll detour through the bunny aisles and see if I can find anything along these lines. I wonder if the Farm and Fleet would have them? Road trip time! (Farm and Fleet doesn't exist in suburbia)
http://www.farmandfleet.com/default.aspx

Karen
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
They were under flooring at Pier One, and were cheapest there, I could by whole rows (8 or 12 foot long) at a time, and just cut them apart as needed. When they are sold as "bunny treats" they are more than twice the cost - but the new user's website is the best price I have seen!

ForCHINate Chins
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi! Sorry to resurrect this post, LOL

I was at a pier one that was going out of business near me and they had some maize mats in the clearance section. I go them thinking they would work to put in some of my cages before I started carrying the 12x12 mats myself, but...I didn't know they were held together with string and that makes them not safe for chins.

Anyway, I have about 13 of them if you need!