PDA

View Full Version : The perils of babies and catfood

catnapper
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok, I couldn't resist the title ;)

But seriously, poor Cam had an incident tonight with a cat food can. Nicki is AWFUL at taking cat food cans out of the recycling bin to lick them out.... then she leaves them laying around anywhere downstairs. I've been rinsing them out, but it seems grandpa is too lazy to do so. He KNOWS Nicki steals cans from the bin so rather than rinsing them like I do, hubby tosses the gooey can in the recycling bin.... right out in the open & right at the perfect height for a sneaky pup who lives to lick out cat food tins.

You can obviously see where this story is going..... hubby fed Pouncer his wet food this afternoon and he dropped it in the recycling bin. While Cameron napped, Nicki raided the recycling bin and licked out the tin. She left it in the livingroom, where nobody except a crawling baby noticed it.

Apparently he managed to slice two fingers pretty badly. Blood everywhere. He was freaking out, Ashey was freaking out, and nobody else was home to even take him to the hospital. She finally managed to get him cleaned but he still cried for over an hour. He stopped crying when grandma got home and asked to see his boo-boo. Somehow I have a magic salve to stop baby tears (made me feel AWESOME) One cut is minimal, the other is "iffy" - somewhat deep and looks like it could reopen if he bumps it just the right way. We put antibiotic cream on it and wrapped his hand in gauze and covered that with the little mittens they use to keep their nails from scratching.

Poor little dude. :(

But, hubby learned a very valuable lesson tonight: do not leave temptation where its too good to pass up. Miss Nicki's not in trouble for something we know she can't ignore. Its the fault of the stoopid hooman who was too lazy to do what he KNEW he should have done.

critter crazy
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Awwww....poor cam!!! Give that booboo a little kiss for me. poor baby, i hate to see booboos, only wittle ones!

Karen
03-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Dang humans, so hard to train! Poor Cam, and poor Ashley, but at least she didn't panic, and got him all bandaged up like a good mom.

catnapper
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
but at least she didn't panic, and got him all bandaged up like a good mom.
I wouldn't go quite that far. She went through a whole box of Band-Aids, which Cam promptly removed one by one. Grandma's the one who suggested gauze and mittens :)

Poor little dude, he's had a rough day. He was cranky all day and then this. I'm sure it'll be fine by tomorrow night as these little ones heal much faster than us old folks.

Oh, on a side note, I SWEAR he said "Hi" to me this morning as I was coming down the steps. He met me at the other side of the baby gate, looked up, and said "hi". I swear it! Ashley even heard it too, but she just rolled her eyes. LOL

Lori Jordan
03-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Poor Cameron,I do the same as you,But my i leave a bag on the kitchen door so when it is full it can be taken out too the bins,No children have been hurt But Lacy has cut her mouth,So know i leave the bins outside the door on the veranda and they just get tossed out.

Hope his little fingers heal quick!

joycenalex
03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
rarely its' a bad dog, more often, bad hooman. how upset is grandpa? and has he given himself a dopeslap for this? ;)

Freedom
03-03-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm glad the baby is OK.

Have you said, "I TOLD you so!" yet???

Pam
03-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow! I am glad Cam is OK. :) All of our recycling is kept outside with a lid. The reason I emphasize lid, is that Bella would do exactly as Nicki if there was no lid. She loves to lick out cat cans (and any other can she can find) even if they have been rinsed. One day I found her racing through the yard with a beer bottle in her mouth and on another day she had a kitty litter jug in her mouth and was prancing all around with it. Then I began using the lids from the regular trash cans on our recycling cans and it has spoiled her fun. :p

joycenalex
03-03-2007, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Pam]...Bella... One day I found her racing through the yard with a beer bottle in her mouth ...(my editing) brings new meaning to a beer run :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Pam
03-03-2007, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=Pam]...Bella... One day I found her racing through the yard with a beer bottle in her mouth ...(my editing) brings new meaning to a beer run :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Here's the little lush and she was, and still is, under age! :p At least she wasn't going to be driving afterward. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSC_0158_small.jpg

joycenalex
03-03-2007, 10:06 AM
oh. my. gosh. bella, alex the wonder dog, would love to meet you. he, too, has ah...liberated a (very)few beers in his time and while i've never gotten a picture of him, midtheft, he'd have to go a loooong way to be as cute as you.

Daisy and Delilah
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I sure hope Cam's little ouchies heal fast, Kim. Poor little guy :(

I love to hear the Bella stories, Pam. She sounds like a riot. Always into something. What a great picture of her :)

Lobodeb
03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Awww, poor Cam!

Glad to hear Grandma's magic salve worked. Isn't that an awesome feeling?

Anyway, please give the booboo a little kissy for me.

kimlovescats
03-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh wow, that could have been really bad! Hubby sliced his finger on a can lid in our garbage a few months back. He had to have stitches. I am so glad that Cam's wasn't as bad! Poor baby! Shame on grandpa! Nooo, I'm sure he is full of guilt and will be much more careful in the future! ;)

Kiss little Cam's ouchie for me! :)