PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your dog do this?

IRescue452
03-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Do you let your dog go to the bathroom on the driveway or sidewalk?
We don't let ours, just grass and they know it. But today Autumn peed on the driveway. Its kinda understandable that there is 4 feet of snow in the yard, but we shovel an area for the dogs. I gave her a stern talking to as I don't want her to get in the habit. She knows that she's only supposed to go in the grass.
One of my stepdad's friends lets his dog go anywhere outside and it always poops in the middle of our driveway when its over. My girlfriend's dogs poop on sidewalk and driveway as well. I hate it. I always end up stepping in airedale poop because I'm not used to dogs going on the walkway and I don't look before I step.

animal_rescue
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Not really, the mojos have done it a few times because of the snow and the only time I can recall Maggie doing it was when we spent the night at a friend's house in Chicago and were walking around town with her and my friend's Great Dane, Gweck. She actually did it right in front of the Cub's stadium, so we joke that she's a White Sox fan.

critter crazy
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
NO!! I hate that, when we lived in the city, it just grossed me out! my dogs have never done it, not because i have trained them, thankfully they just dont like it! Grass is soooo...much better! Besides living in the country now, the dogs seem to prefer to go in the trees anyways! he he he! true nature dogs!:D

BC_MoM
03-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I never didn't let them do it, my dog's just choose not too because they are good canine citizens! :D lol

K9karen
03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Not usually. The only time Mz Logan pees on the sidewalk is her habit of becoming so excited over something..people walking by, critters ..she tends to forget and lets go. When she's walked, I carry all necessary pick up stuff and also H2O which I pore over her pee.

applesmom
03-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Do you let your dog go to the bathroom on the driveway or sidewalk?

Possibly in an emergency! If they would!!!!!!!!

Due to a plugged up street drain we had water in our yard almost up to our dog's shoulders. After several hours they were dancing around the house with their legs crossed they had to go so bad. We finally let them out thinking they would relieve themselves on the patio where the water was much lower.

Nope! They plowed through the water searching for their usual spots, then gave up. They held it till the water went down in the yard a few hours later. :eek:

chocolatepuppy
03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I've never really thought about this before. My dogs have always did their business in the grass. Even when the ground is covered with snow, they go out where the grass is. I've never trained them, they just always went in the grass. ;)

SunsetRose
03-02-2007, 10:26 PM
I would allow mine in an emergency. Rosie has only done this once. We were at the dog park and were were on the way home and I was roller blading with her. Well, she didn't go at the park and apparantly she had to and she just started going right there in the street while walking!

Other than that one time, they won't go on cement. Rosie will go on dirt and the others won't though.

wolf_Q
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Most dogs prefer to only go on surfaces that will absorb, like grass. My dogs only go on a concrete surface if they really have to go and no grass is nearby. I have never taught them this, it is natural for them to prefer that.

BCollie_Kelly
03-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Nope...neither Riley nor Rebel has ever done it, either.

lute
03-02-2007, 10:42 PM
My dogs have never tried to go potty anywhere else, but in the grass. I don't think I would really care either. I pick it all up as soon as they are done anyway. My friends say if you just looked at my yard you'd never know I had dogs.LOL

Taz_Zoee
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Zoee will not go anywhere BUT in the grass (or dirt if she has to). I've had her at a kennel for a couple of days for doggie day care, and I don't think she went ALL day!! That's why I need to find another day care place to take her, that has grass.

Our RB dog, DJ, would always go on the sidewalk. We think it was because when they first moved into this house the back yard was full of 4 to 5 feet tall weeds. So the only place he could go was on the sidewalk, or patio area.

Lori Jordan
03-03-2007, 06:53 AM
No i don't,I have long grass in the back,and that is were they seem to go,But while out on the deck Mr Stormy likes peeing on it,i laugh at him he still does not lift his leg,While im out walking he is mistaken as being a girl lol,
What a guy he is.

Husky15
03-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Belle's never actually tried to go in the driveway, she just sticks to the grass. But I know that it would not be allowed if she did.

Kfamr
03-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Most dogs prefer to only go on surfaces that will absorb, like grass. My dogs only go on a concrete surface if they really have to go and no grass is nearby. I have never taught them this, it is natural for them to prefer that.

Ditto.

Although, when I first adopted Kiara and Nala they would poop on the cement (just poop, not pee) I imagine they were used to doing this on the cement at the shelter.

cali
03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
my dogs absolutly refuse to potty on cement, if I take them on a trip somewhere I have to try to find some grass or dirt for them or they refuse to potty. they do sometimes potty where the sidwalk is located in the winter, but they cant exactly SEE the pavement either lol

Freedom
03-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Sugar always seeks out the grass. I don't know if it is her natural tendency or if she was taught this.

It was a bit of a problem yesterday and a few other times; with all the rain the back yard becomes a wading pool (and we didn't even get the proper permits! :D ) She refuses to get her tootsies wet. Fortunately, the front yard didn't flood.

She has only used the driveway once. We had been in the car a LONG time, due to an accident on the highway. I knew it was not her preference, so I didn't say anthing to her. Just cleaned up and moved on.

I'm not sure what to do when we walk through the neighbor hood. She will pee on the grass. I worry someone will holler at us. (I carry bags and scoop any poops.)

xcolbi
03-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Colbi prefers the grass, but when its like -25 degrees outside and a huge amount of snow in the backyard, or if its raining (we get HUGE puddles in our backyard and she comes in all muddy and soaking wet), she goes on the driveway. But when it's nice out we always bring her in the backyard. If she does go on the driveway though we pick it up right away. Don't want anyone coming to our house and seeing doggie poop all over the place. :p

Pam
03-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Mine also prefer grass or dirt. As it is, it takes Bella quite some sniffing time to find just the right place to squat. :) Ripley of course looks for the nearest tree. The only time they have ever gone anywhere else was when there was a lot of snow and we hadn't yet cleaned off the deck. They both pottied on the deck :o but really had no way to get down into the yard. Ripley used the area under the deck (it is dirt and stones under there) when we had almost a blizzard a few years ago rather than journey out into the yard on the little path we had shoveled for them. :rolleyes:

borzoimom
03-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Well we have no sidewalks, and they are not allowed to go past the deck which is the driveway- so I would have to say " no".
When I owned a townhome in town, you had to pick up after your dog with a 25 dollar fine if you didn't. So we all just carried " poopy bags."

sprokett
03-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I havent got a dog but when we go out with my friends dogs i let them
and when we used to have a dog i would let him

IF A DOG HAS TO GO IT HAS TO GO

Canis-Lupess
03-03-2007, 09:30 AM
My dogs were trained never to go in the streets at all. They could go in the run at home or when they were on the fields. Still, as they got older and less able to hold themselves, they did start needing to go in the street so I had to adapt by being prepared.

If they poop, I have poops bags that I pick it up with and out it in the bin when I get home or a bin in the street. We have a couple near me that have a part for dog waste.
With urine, they generally prefer to do it on a grass verge rather than on concrete but you can't pick that up anyway and it dries up quickly as well. Urine is sterile so it isn't going to cause the same hazards as what a stool can. It can smell if it accumulates and lingers but that doesn't happen out on the street with the odd pee.

In the UK, it is an offence to not clean up after your dog if it passes a stool anywhere meant for public use such as pavements and grass verges next to roads with a speed limit of 40 MPH or under, playing fields, parks etc....
It doesn't apply to agricultural land, common ground, waste ground and general countryside etc....
If people are caught not cleaning up after their dogs in areas covered by the law, they can be fined. Doesn't stop a lot of them though. Still, it is becoming increasingly unacceptable generally and anyone who does lets their dog foul and doesn't clean it up will receive objections from other people at some point or another...or even reported.

sprokett
03-03-2007, 09:32 AM
if a dog needs to go it needs to go it is bad for its organs ok if the dog wont go then its different but what if the dog needs to go you should not make your dog hold it and what is wrong with a dog peeing or pooping on the driveway or side walk (as long as it is picked up) no harm done!!

sprokett
03-03-2007, 09:34 AM
by the way i know it is an offence in england i live in england i mean if you pick it up and again like you said you cant pick up pee

k9krazee
03-03-2007, 09:40 AM
We don't "let" them, but we also won't punish them if they do.

When Jack first came to us he would ONLY poop in the driveway, we have a strong suspicion he came from a kennel situation so it was completely understandable. He rarely does it anymore though.

sprokett
03-03-2007, 09:45 AM
if dogs wanna do it on the sidewalk let them NO HARM WILL BE DONE just pick it up !!!!!!

Canis-Lupess
03-03-2007, 09:53 AM
The only time my dogs were walked in the street is the two minute walk it takes to get from our house to the fields so it isn't like they really had to hold themselves. Also, they could do it in the run beforehand if they were busting. Also, dogs kept indoors have to hold themselves all the time.

Being creatures of habit, they preferred to wait until they got to their favoured spots down the fields and then they'd do their business.

CathyBogart
03-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Jasper doesn't usually go on th cement, but if he does I really don't mind.

sprokett
03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
it only takes me and my friend about 2 mins to get to the fields

sprokett
03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
so we dont have to walk long either but then again why should the dog not be aloud to potty ??? if you pick it up then like i keep saying no harm don but if you dont pick it up then it is different

Canis-Lupess
03-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, before, there weren't the bins that there are now that I can put the bag of poop into which meant that if I had to clean some up in the street, I'd have to carry it all around the fields with me and I'd rather not have to carry bags of poop for miles when I don't have to and I didn't want to have to walk back home and then go back out again.

It wasn't a problem for the dogs, they didn't even try to go in the street really, they just waited until we got to the field or they'd already done it in the run before I took them. If it's only two minutes away, I don't see there being a problem.....I'm not sure why it seems to touch a raw nerve at your end...

sprokett
03-03-2007, 10:36 AM
it dosent matter but it is bad if they have to hold it for a while pls anyway if you dont want to carry poop around with you how do they go at the fields because you have to pick it up then

Canis-Lupess
03-03-2007, 10:43 AM
You do not have to pick it up on agricultural land, common ground, waste ground etc....

The law only applies to areas meant for public use such as parks, playing fields, pavements, grass verges but only those next to roads with a speed limit of 40mph or less. I've read up on it.

The dogs did their business on fields where the law does not apply. Wild foxes do their business in the same places so whats the difference?
I do walk them on a playing field but always walked them elsewhere first so they could do their business before going to play fetch with the ball.

Like I said, dogs kept in the house have to hold themselves every night of their lives...and often for lengthy periods during the day when their owners work or have to go somewhere the dog can't go.....does it kill them?

GreyhoundGirl
03-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Haha, Jenny has never tried. :p If she did, probably not.

elizabethann
03-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd give anything for Fenway to pee & poop on the sidewalk/driveway. However, I taught him to go in the woods and that's where he goes. So in the winter, when there is tons of snow (unlike this winter), we have to trudge out back so he can pee & poop. :D