PDA

View Full Version : How Well Can you read Canine Body Language?

3GSDMom
03-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Working with Travis and Xena I'm learning even more to pay close attention to body language. I could already read Travis like a book, but because Xena is new to me, I'm learning to read her too.

I found this neat Body language test on the GSD site. I only missed one, and as soon as I clicked the answer, I knew I had chosen the wrong one. (It was image two, as soon as I clicked one answer I was like *slaps forehead* Its the other answer! Lol)

Let me know how you do :D
http://www.takingthelead.co.uk/3/bodylangquiz.htm

Image two seems to be stumping a lot of people ;) (I posted it on another forum).

cali
03-02-2007, 08:12 PM
number 2 is the only one that got me, I have NEVER seen a dog make that face when they were happy lol

3GSDMom
03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
number 2 is the only one that got me, I have NEVER seen a dog make that face when they were happy lol

Me too! The feel I get from that image is not friendlyness, but more of a nervous/unsure feel.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I got them all right, but did have to second guess myself on #2 for a second.

Canis-Lupess
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I got everyone correct although I do think #2 has a bit of an apprehensive look with the way the ears are cocked back. Maybe it is just the way it has been drawn.

It would be better seeing actual photos rather than drawn diagrams, I suppose.

DrKym
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Great link
I got them all, but I can see why some newbies may get pic 2 wrong.

Also the reason many dogs are accused of it, when in reality it is nothing of the sort :p

Thanks for posting that, and congrats onXena and her acclimation to your loving!

3GSDMom
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
It would be better seeing actual photos rather than drawn diagrams, I suppose.

I agree, actual photos would make it easier to interprete.

borzoimom
03-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Good test .. I got all of them right- but I agree- number two is tough. I could see the uh ( answer) but its only from helping with rescue.

3GSDMom
03-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Great link
I got them all, but I can see why some newbies may get pic 2 wrong.

I don't consider myself a newbie, but could you PM me more info on the second image? 18 years of living with dogs and I've never thought to associate that with friendlyness. :)

Though I dont see that expression as a threat either. So it was clear that the dogs intentions were not that of aggression.

Karen
03-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I also missed on image 2 - I think it's close to either response, and you could tell the difference if it was your dog, but hard to tell with just the head, and a dog you don't know. Got the rest, though.

areias
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I got all but #3 right...#2 didn't stump me. #3-my shepherd does that when she's happy to see us...ears back eyes squinty. It would be better to see the whole dog including tail set.

3GSDMom
03-02-2007, 08:21 PM
I also missed on image 2 - I think it's close to either response, and you could tell the difference if it was your dog, but hard to tell with just the head, and a dog you don't know. Got the rest, though.

I'd have to say I agree with you :)

borzoimom
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't consider myself a newbie, but could you PM me more info on the second image? 18 years of living with dogs and I've never thought to associate that with friendlyness. :)

Though I dont see that expression as a threat either. So it was clear that the dogs intentions were not that of aggression.
The ears are actually in a submissive or greeting position and the face is not stressed.

cali
03-02-2007, 08:30 PM
don't consider myself a newbie, but could you PM me more info on the second image? 18 years of living with dogs and I've never thought to associate that with friendlyness. http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

same here, I am no newbie, owning a fear aggressive dog I had to learn dog body language fast and know it well. Misty does that face all the time though, and the ONLY times she has made that face has been when she is nervous..example when I had her at school with me a few years ago, she had the look the entire time..as she hid behind me like a shy child lol

K9soul
03-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I see why #2 causes hesitation. I think it'd be much easier to tell if they used pictures of real dogs and/or showed the whole body. The dog doesn't look fearful or aggressive, but Tasha often cocks her ears back a bit like that if she's a little unsure about something. Her greeting is more like #3, ears all the way back, except with the mouth open and face relaxed.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I got all but number 8 correct! :D

cali
03-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Her greeting is more like #3, ears all the way back, except with the mouth open and face relaxed

same with Happy, greeting ears are completly back, but face is relaxed. Misty has 2 greeting ears, either fully pricked or all the way back, depending. Ripleys greeting ears are completly back, Leck has floppy ears but they are perked forward in greeting, Perkys are completly perked in greeting, as are Blairs. not a one of my 6 dogs puts their ears partway back in happy greeting.

lizbud
03-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I got them all right. :) It is a little hard to read expression from a
drawing, but generally they were good enough to judge.

BC_MoM
03-02-2007, 09:24 PM

Number two is the only one I got wrong as well.

3muttsandaboston
03-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Lucy makes the face on number 2 sometimes when she is happy. I got them all right.

Crikit
03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I got them all right but then again I have seen this before when I assisted in k9 communication classes at work.

Taz_Zoee
03-02-2007, 11:20 PM
I got #2 wrong, totally. And #8 I got wrong once. My second guess was right. I was actually surprised I got the rest of them right. I guess with my sister having GSD's all the time while we were growing up helped. :D

pitc9
03-03-2007, 06:51 AM
#2 almost looks more like submission.
BUT.... if you added a wagging TAIL to #2, then we all would have gotten it right!

They should have used full body pictures in all of them.

Husky15
03-03-2007, 08:11 AM
I got all but number two correct.

I can kinda see why they would call it "I'm friendly" but at the same time it looks more submissive or scared...

GreyhoundGirl
03-03-2007, 11:00 AM

Me too! That's jenny's nervous face.

3GSDMom
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
#2 almost looks more like submission.
BUT.... if you added a wagging TAIL to #2, then we all would have gotten it right!

No doubt :)

Sophist
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I got a perfect score! :D

I got #2 because it is the exact look Keisha has when meeting a smaller dog who is unsure of her... when you see it in person, it says "I'm big, but I won't eat you! Please play with me!" perfectly :p .