PDA

View Full Version : Greater Swiss Mountain dogs?

coco-bean
03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
just curious about them, if anyone knows alot about this breed i'd appreciate it! what does a puppy normally cost? health problems ect...
thanks!

Pam
03-02-2007, 05:22 PM
My daughter has a female Swissie right now and she is a doll. She had a male Swissie, named Dale, who died of bloat at the age of 2. :( I have forwarded your thread to her but it will probably be a couple of days before she replies as she is in the middle of a move. Here is Harlee, her current Swissie, who is two years old, and my Bella. :) This picture is deceiving because Harlee weighs 90 lbs and is much bigger than Bella who is only 50 lbs. It is all about the camera angle. :p

Danegirl2208
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
what a cutie :) And yes swissys are prone to bloat...as well as Hip and Elbow Dysplasia as with most large breed dogs.

caseysmom
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM
My casey looks like a swissie...specifically an entlebucer...I am at work and can't post pics but here is one in the smile thread.

Genny
03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I've seen them on tv and read about them. They seem like neat dogs. I use to want one....they are good guard dogs (like for sheep) They are $$$ all the ones I've ever seen are. I've never seen one for less that $400!

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Swissies are excellent dogs! They are prone to bloat, as mentioned above, but they are very sweet, very loving dogs. They're one of my favourite large, short-coated breeds. I've loved every single one that I've ever met. :)

I've never seen one for less that $400!

I don't think a purebred of any breed from any (reputable) breeder would be less than $800. A well bred, purebred dog, runs anywhere from $800-$2500 usually, perhaps even more.

Lori Jordan
03-03-2007, 07:09 AM
They are great dogs,I only know one and it was from a Obediance class i had Molly in,Mind you it was a puppy,but all together well behaved,Too the price i find anymore you have to spend the money on the animal,But they would be a great addition to any family.

Pam
03-03-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree that purebred dogs come with a price and especially from a good breeder. I believe that Dale was $1,200 but Harlee was a gift to them by the breeder because of Dale dying at such a young age. This is the difference between an excellent breeder and just a good breeder. They stand behind their dogs 100%.

Christiansmommy
03-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I am Pam's daughter, who posted above. I have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, female, age 2. I had a male who died very young of bloat. This is the most prevalent illness that occurs with Swissies...and if not treated immediatley the dog will die. A good breeder will inform any potential adopters of this disease. You may need to be put on a waiting list for this breed, since most reputable breeders will want to make sure that the potential adopter will be a good match as a Swissie parent...and they don't breed like a puppy mill would...so you may have to wait up to a year for a litter.

Swissies are generally gentle giants but with any breed, if not socialized properly from a young age, they can be a bit to handle, especially due to size...males can be anywhere from 110-140lbs. Females 90-115. My male had more of a dominant personality than my female...she was also more trainable. Swissies need to be trained with patience and with gentle commands, they don't do well with harsh training.

I took Harlee to the bus stop to pick up my son yesterday and kids crowded her, and she just loved it....completely tolerated it with no problems. They are great dogs.

I am about to head out to the store, and I haven't even touched base on the many aspects of owning this breed...if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

I love my Swissie and I am sure she will not be the last Swissie I own.

Here is a VERY reputable Swissie website with a list of breeders that are only for bettering the breed...very good site...

www.agsba.com