PDA

View Full Version : How to teach a dog to catch food?

M&M's Mommy
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Can someone give me some instructions as to how to teach my dog to catch a piece of food I throw to them. Right now, they're waiting for it to land on the ground, then pick it up to eat.

They jump up to catch their balls & frisbees fine, just not the food. I love seeing my friend's dogs tilt their heads backward and open their mouths wide, so he can throw the food to them!

Karen
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I hate to tell you this, but some dogs just don't "get it." Gracie (the Great Dane) never, ever got it. She didn't understand about catching balls or Frisbees either, so we finally stopped "throwing things at her" for fear of getting called in for dog abuse. If we carefully tossed a piece of food, it would likely bounce off her snout, land on the ground, and then we'd point to it and say "Gracie! Treat!" And she's be all surprised ...

So, she wasn't a rocket scientist - she was still a great - and greatly loved - dog.

animal_rescue
03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
This might sound mean but this is how a friend taught me to teach my dogs to catch food.

Basically I throw it and if they don't get it before it lands on the ground, I eat it or pick it back up and throw it again and again until they catch it.

3muttsandaboston
03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I did basically the same thing as animal_rescue. Maggie got it pretty fast. Lucy does it well too. It still bounces off Gracies nose most of the time but she catches it sometimes. Zoe was really good at it she never missed if you threw food to her.

Vette
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Kirby doesnt catch it either. he just closes his eyes an it smacks him in the face. so i dont bother anymore. :o LOL

borzoimom
03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I hate to say it, but none of my four would catch food. I am not sure if its that I trained them not to touch something I didnt hand to them, or put in their bowls. ( I have counter height surfers ya know- and that stopped that from them helping themselves)
With the shepherds I did the training in stages. first standing close to you- food over head- drop it right near them. I do not like a dog snatching something in your hand- so I would just put it right on top of them-. As time progresses, you back up a little etc.

M&M's Mommy
03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I hate to say it, but none of my four would catch food. I am not sure if its that I trained them not to touch something I didnt hand to them, or put in their bowls. ( I have counter height surfers ya know- and that stopped that from them helping themselves)
With the shepherds I did the training in stages. first standing close to you- food over head- drop it right near them. I do not like a dog snatching something in your hand- so I would just put it right on top of them-. As time progresses, you back up a little etc.

This may be it. My three are taught not to steal my food, and I never give them table craps while I eat, so they never beg. (In fact, if they see me eating, they'd go to sleep :), and wake up when I'm done). Maybe they are new to this food throwing game and do not know how to play :)

Does anyone's dog never miss anything throwing at them?? How do you teach that? Right now my dogs just look at me like I'm crazy when I throw something to them, and take a step back, just so they can avoid getting smacked in the face, and to give place for the food to land nicely in front of them - then they pick it up and eat it.

borzoimom
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
This may be it. My three are taught not to steal my food, and I never give them table craps while I eat, so they never beg. (In fact, if they see me eating, they'd go to sleep :), and wake up when I'm done). Maybe they are new to this food throwing game and do not know how to play :)

Does anyone's dog never miss anything throwing at them?? How do you teach that? Right now my dogs just look at me like I'm crazy when I throw something to them, and take a step back, just so they can avoid getting smacked in the face, and to give place for the food to land nicely in front of them - then they pick it up and eat it.
Then I bet that is right- Taking out of the kitchen, have the dog sit or stand in front. I mean right in front of you. Its like- you are dropping it on their nose.

cyber-sibes
03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Star is a real expert at catching food in the air. Honestly I don't recall how she learned :confused: . My son probably just started throwing food at her. Catching food has been good, because some kids are a little afraid to hold out a treat, but they like tossing them to her. She'll jump really high to catch it.
She occasionally misses, but not too often!

I hold it up and wave it in the air a bit to get her attention - then say "Star, are you ready to catch?" That way it's like a game.
I use very small treats to do this - those little Mother Hubbard bits.
A mentioned, some dogs don't ever get it. Rosie never did, the treat would bounce off her nose every time. :rolleyes:

critter crazy
03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Can someone give me some instructions as to how to teach my dog to catch a piece of food I throw to them. Right now, they're waiting for it to land on the ground, then pick it up to eat.

They jump up to catch their balls & frisbees fine, just not the food. I love seeing my friend's dogs tilt their heads backward and open their mouths wide, so he can throw the food to them!
That is Duke! he can catch anything, but food! he lets it hit the ground,a nd then he will eat it! sometimes i even have to tell him, to eat it.:D