PDA

View Full Version : Cat Anxiety - Advice Needed!

Anikaca77
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi, as most of you know I have 5 cats.

Well my one cat Anika, who's 7 hates my one cat Sebastian who just turned 5 yrs. old today.

I've had Anika on some lose dosage anti-anxiety pills that seemed to help her but I took her off of them because I hate giving my cat these pills. It seemed to help her for a while but then other times it doesn't.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to help Anika be calmer. We did try feliway plug in and that didn't seem to help. We have a one bedroom apartment so there isn't a lot of room and it would be hard to give her something and not have the other cats wanting to be in her space.

Any ideas?? She got into a little fight with Sebastian today, my fiance said she took some of his hair out and peed on our bed. Luckily, he was able to get the sheets off before it when through. I really need something to help her out.

Freedom
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
First, to protect your mattress, you can buy those plastic liners. They are only plastic on one side. Places like Target and Kohl's and Sears sell them. You might want to check on that.

Catty1 has Oscar, she keeps a collar on him and sprays the feliway onto the cloth around the collar. Have you tried that? I'm sure she can explain it to you better.

Keep their claws clipped, to limit the amount of damage they can do to each other.

That's all I can think of just now.

Good luck.
Sandra

catmandu
03-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Sometimes Two Cats Will Just Take A Dislike To Each Other.
The Princess Still Does Not Care For Some Of The Found Cats But Shes Too Old To Do Any Damage.
I Would Try Clipping Thier Nails And Maybe Keep Those Two Seperated.

Anikaca77
03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
It's hard to keep those two seperate because of only living in a one bedroom apt...

I'm going to have to think of something maybe I'll try a colar for her and see if that helps her...not sure....

Catty1
03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I decided on a collar for Oscar because the other cat didn't need it - and I wanted Oscar to get a full dose.

The vet said to "Spray it in his favourite place." Well, forget that! lol He moves AROUND, and he has to be exposed to the Feliway for a good couple of hours (I think the vet said 4).

My vet loved this idea, by the way.

I use a nylon collar. And I carefully put a finger under the collar, and slowly SQUIRT(don't spray) a bit of Feliway right into the collar (don't worry if a bit gets on your fingers or fur....but don't use it on the skin/fur directly.

If Anika does tend to spend a lot of time in one spot, get a clean rag or bit of towel, spray the Feliway on there, and lay it beside her.

I prefer the collar - Oscar gets a shot in the morning, and one at night, and he's good. Plus, the Feliway will last longer, as I am not spraying it in several places.

Can you use the diffuser version to dab or squirt on Anika's collar?

Good luck.

(PS...you can also dab vanilla on Sebastian and Anika, so they smell alike. Near the base of the tail and on the forehead. That might be simpler than anything)

Anikaca77
03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I didn't buy a collar yet for Anika because I can't afford $25 on feliway spray yet.

So I went with a cheaper thing not by much it's $10 but it's better than spending $25 right now.

*Rescue Remedy™ (Rockrose, Impatiens, Cherry Plum, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem)
Dr Edward Bach's five-flower formula known as Rescue Remedy™ is for use in any emergency situation where there is fear, panic, anxiety, shock, emotional upset or distress of any kind, bringing a sense of calm reassurance and comfort to help us better cope with life's upheavals, whatever they may be.

I'll let you guys know if this works or not. You are suppose to put 4 drops in a small glass of water for the cats but Anika only drinks water with her food so I try to make sure she's getting a little water. It says you can put in under their tongue but that's too hard to get her to take it so it's better this way I hope.

Melissa

catmandu
03-05-2007, 03:38 PM
I Know What You Mean Now.
I Was In A 1 Bedroom Apartment When I First Had Pouncer And Scrappy And If She Hadnt Calmed Down I Dont Know What I Have Have Done.
Good Luck In The Cat Wars And We Hope They Reach A Detente.
Maybe Something Where Anika Can Hide Like A Cat Condo Or A Big Box With A Hole.
That Keeps The Princess Feeling Safe.

ShylanHal
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Rescue Remedy is a GREAT way to go! It's safe for cats, dogs, any kind of animals, really, humans, ANYTHING! Even plants, oddly enough.
I take that when I'm stressed.

They also make unique ones, like ones specially designed for anxiety, or panic attacks, or sleepiness, or hopelessness, etc. If Rescue doesn't work as well as you might like, maybe try one of those. Holly might work, Rock Rose, Star of Bethlehem, maybe Vine - if she's trying to dominate or be inflexible.

There are like... 38 essences in all, here's the site if you want to look at them: http://www.bachflower.com/38_Essences.htm

Though the collar thing would be a good thing to also add to it, maybe. It's always great if you're treating something from more than one angle. I would say get her counceling... but... I don't think any human would be able to understand her problems :P