PDA

View Full Version : Another Birthday Present drop off...

Aspen and Misty
06-30-2002, 01:19 PM
A family down the street recently got their 5 year old a rat for her birthday. She doesn't want it any more because she got tired of it. :rolleyes: . So they talked around the neighborhood and found out I had rats. (I walk my rats down the street to freak people out..but shhh..hee hee hee:D ) So they came to my house yesterday, I have never talked o this people before, and she was like would you like another rat. My daughter can't keep hers she is allergic to the bedding. So I said, o you can you newspaper on the bottom, or even just try switching the bedding. The lady was like no I think we should just give her up, its better for the rat and us. So I asked some questions. (q) What is her personality- (a) I dunno we don't hold her much we have been busy lately (for the past 4 weeks, but ok) . (q) What is her name- (a) we didn't name her yet. O yea sounds like they love her. But anyway. So I guess I am going to get a new rat. :D. But I don't know cause she said she might keep it, she needs to talk to the daughter. My question is can I introduce this new addition to my other 2 rats Melony and Hope? I hope so. I was thinking about putting the newbie in the wire cage and letting Melony and Hope sniff her from outside and her sniff them from inside and then after awhile opening the door. Think it will work? Any suggestions are welcome! Wish us luck!

06-30-2002, 01:32 PM
I am not experienced with rats ; but I believe that the treatment you suggest is the right one !! No rushing ; let them learn about each other in their own way !!
Wish you all the luck !!! I hope the poor rat will get a new home at your place , because it is not very much loved where it is now !!:(

Aspen and Misty
06-30-2002, 02:28 PM
We haven't heard anything yet. I'm not going to rush it beleave me I have seen female rats fight, and when they fight they fight. i don't think they will spend the night in the same tank tonight. We will leave them alone for awile and then do the wole tub thing again tomrrow. Then we will stick them together. See how it goes. I hope it works.

zippy-kat
06-30-2002, 02:32 PM
The rattie doesn't have a name, doesn't seem to be played with/held, etc., they don't have time for her, and yet they aren't sure they want to give her up!? :mad: Some people....
:rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
06-30-2002, 05:29 PM
They aren't giveing her up because she is a member of the family and would feel bad. Ya just wait tillthe little girl wants a dog they will give that up to. Some people. So I don't have a third rat, YET.Wait a week they will probly be back. THis time I am goign to demand they give it to me NOW.

Sam's My Baby
07-01-2002, 10:18 AM
There is a split-cage method that you use when introducing 2 unfamiliar gerbils that might also work with rats. What you do is that you separate the cage in half with a screen (or u could use chicken wire) and you let them sniff eachother through the screen. Then every day you can change the sides of the rats to that they can smell the other rats scent and get used to it. I think you continue this for about a week or however long it takes for them to get used to eachother. Good Luck!:)