PDA

View Full Version : Tornado season in the south :o(

kimlovescats
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
All day yesterday we were under a tornado watch and it rained and stormed from wee in the hours the night before until about 4:00 pm yesterday. The last few years we have had terrible tornado seasons and have had our house damaged in two different hail storms. We just had our roof and siding replaced this past August and now the tornado season is already back. :(

The storms yesterday claimed 20 lives in our neighboring states. A high school was hit and killed at least 8 people. :( My daughter's school was dismissed 2 hrs. early because of the weather. This is why I hate living in the south.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6166022

Please keep these families in your prayers.

Karen
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Thank you for checking in, and we certainy will keep everyone in our prayers. Does your house have a basement where you and the critters can go just in case?

kimlovescats
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Thank you for checking in, and we certainy will keep everyone in our prayers. Does your house have a basement where you and the critters can go just in case?

No, Karen, it doesn't. It scares me to death too. Whenever there is a warning (actually spotted tornadoes) in our area, we get blankets and pillows and huddle in the hall and PRAY! The next house we have will be all brick, instead of vinyl siding.

Daisy and Delilah
03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Kim, Are you close to Nashville? My daughter flew there last night. I was on pins and needles thinking she wouldn't get there or something terrible would happen. Fortunately, I heard from her and her plane had no problem getting in. She just called a few minutes ago to tell me she just got her picture taken with Keith Urban :) We were under tornado watch all day yesterday too but I guess we dodged the bullet altogether here in Central Florida. Stay safe!! :)

Karen
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
We were talking about this today, and I told a friend that some houses down in "tornado country" don't have basements, and they didn't really believe me. It's inconceivable up here! Why don't houses have basements? Is it a water-table issue, or a cost-savings thing? And where does one put one's furnace and water-heater?

Anyway, you stay safe, okay?

Craftlady
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I think it's a water table issue. The hot water tanks are put in utility rooms on the first floor. Furnaces are rare in the south because they dont need them. In Florida most houses dont have basements.

Kalei
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I will keep you and all those poor families in my prayers. I always felt bad for people in the south that always have tornados, that would be so scary. Please keep up updated so we know you are okay.