PDA

View Full Version : Happy 15th Birthday Ripley!

jazzcat
03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Grandpa Ripley is 15 years old today, March 2nd.

Just a little update on the old guy, he was diagnosed with kidney failure last spring but has been holding his own. He is very skinny and has good days and bad but the new development is cognative dysfunction (Alzheimer's). I went through this with my dog Disney so I recognized the signs quickly. He gets very restless and confused and roams around like he is looking for something or is lost. It's very sad to see. He is also forgetting to eat sometimes so I have to stay with him to make sure he gets enough. The vet wants me to bring him in for blood tests in a few weeks so we can check his kidney levels and see if anything new is going on. Some days I think he won't be around another month and then the next thing I know he's acting playful with that old sparkle in his eye - although short lived. I don't know what to think.

I took this last week.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2007/3.jpg

Catty1
03-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Aww - what a handsome elderly gentleman...like a favourite uncle who is gentle, humourous and confused all within five minutes!

I don't know if it's a comfort that when he appears lost and wandering, he's not sad about it? He just does what he does?

My mom's siamese was like that TOTALLY by the time he was 19 1/2...we wondered about small strokes over time.

HUGS to that beautiful boy, and prayers for you and him. :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2007, 11:41 PM
HAPPY 15th BIRTHDAY RIPLEY!!! I hope you have a wonderful day and get spoiled rotten.:) I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems and I hope that you'll be able to remain happy and comfortable for many more years to come.

Reachoutrescue
03-01-2007, 11:41 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIPLEY!! I sure hope you feel better and have many more birthdays with your humans.

kt_luvs_kitties
03-02-2007, 12:01 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIPLEY! You might be getting older, but still as handsome as ever! I hope your meowmie spoils you rotten on your special day!

Lori, WOW! He really has lost weight, hasn't he? Poor fella. I will pray that he is with you years and years to come.

jazzcat
03-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Lori, WOW! He really has lost weight, hasn't he? Poor fella. I will pray that he is with you years and years to come.
Yes, he's lost another pound this past year to put him at 12 1/2 pounds. :( His normal healthy weight that he stayed at for years was 18 pounds.

Thank you all for the well wishes for my Old Man Rip!

CultureJunky
03-02-2007, 04:26 AM
Happy Birthday Ripley! You're a wise old sage now, and just like my Doris, hanging in there in your later years in life. Enjoy every day.

catfamily
03-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Happy Birthday Dear Ripley...He really is a handsome boy :)

Always keep in mind Lori how much love you gave him all these years and that will help you when his time does come some day.
All your cats are so loved.

Killearn Kitties
03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIPLEY!

We love you and send all our best healthy vibes your way. We would like to see you happy and comfortable for a while yet. :)

catmandu
03-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Its So Nice To See Our Senior Kittyzens So Hale And Hearty And Enjoying Thier Golden Years.they Have Given Us So Much In Love And Fun , And Its Nice To Repay Them For Thier Years Of Companionship.
My Senior Kittyzens Micheal , The Princess , Bo Bo And Joseph Send A Special Mmmeeeeeeooow To Grandpa Ripley And Hope Thats A Special Treat In His Bowl Today.

Vermontcat
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM
HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY RIPLEY!!! :D

I know what you mean about the restlessness and roaming around, Samantha does that too sometimes. She has a routine and is happiest when I am nearby, if I'm not, she will come find me and pace back and forth until I go back with her to her favorite sleeping spot.

Give Mr Ripley a big hug from me. :)
I hope he's still with you for a long time, cherish the time you do have with him.

Queen of Poop
03-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Grandpa Ripley you are one handsome, slender dude. Wishing you a very HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY!!! Ask your meowmie to give you a birthday hug from me.

jenluckenbach
03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Happy birthday, you are as handsome as ever. Maybe a little thinner and maybe a little slower but you are still that very special boy.

kimlovescats
03-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Just now seeing this thread!

Happy 15th Birthday, handsome boy!!! I'm so sorry to hear of his latest troubles, I hope he has more good days than bad and his tests are good!

shais_mom
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
happy birthday and very gentle hugs to Ripley! :)

Mad Mags Moo
03-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Happy Birthday to you!
Looking good!! ;)