PDA

View Full Version : Kitten season already!

Prairie Purrs
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM
I've been gradually taking down the shelters that I kept on my porch this winter for the feral cats (because the city won't let me feed or shelter ferals). Well, today when I checked the last shelter, I discovered a little gray and white girl and her family of kittens!

With help from the Rocky Mountain Alley Cat Alliance, I trapped mama kitty and scooped up the four babies, and they're all on their way to a foster home. I hope mama is tameable. I wasn't able to get a picture of her because I didn't want to upset her while she was in the trap. The little ones--one gray tabby, one gray and white, one tortie, and one smoky black--are adorable!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/kittens001.jpg

catmandu
03-01-2007, 08:36 PM
As my friends at Animal Wefare tell me the prolonged fall in many parts of the country has made even more litters of unwanted kittens and puppies.
We are of course praying that those little ones and Momma will find thier Furr Ever Homes.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh my goodness they are cute. Thanks for helping them out. :)

I hope the mother is able to get used to people.

jazzcat
03-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Aww, so cute. I'm so happy to hear they are safe and sound in a foster home now. You did a great job!

Reachoutrescue
03-01-2007, 11:12 PM
If only people would spay and neuter. It is not expensive and it is even free at some places. I hope those kits find loving homes along with all the others we in the rescue field will find in the upcoming months.

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2007, 11:37 PM
They sure are adorable and I'm glad that you were able to trap them and their mother and get them the help that they need.:)

kb2yjx
03-02-2007, 07:59 AM
WOW!!! What a rescue!!! Great Job!!!

Freedom
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Thank goodness that momma found your shelter! I t may mean life for her and her sweet babies. I am glad you had those shelters out.

Prairie Purrs
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Mama cat was wary of me but didn't seem to be terribly frightened, so I think there's a pretty good chance that she'll adjust to domestic life.

I'm hoping the RMACA people will be able to update me on how mama and kittens are doing. I'm so glad that they were able to bring out a trap and find a foster home so quickly, because I was worried that mama would try to move the babies once I'd discovered them. I wish I could have fostered them myself, but I'm in enough trouble with city cat limits as it is.

Medusa
03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Don't get me started on spay/neuter. If I'm behind someone in line that's buying cat products, I'm off and running! Their answer is always the same: "I don't want to spend the money." Yeah, except that you end up w/litters of kittens that you have to feed and house and care for. It's better to spend a small amount up front than to have all these poor little babies running around outdoors w/all kinds of health and safety hazards. That's how I ended up caring for 27 ferals a couple of years ago. A man in the neighborhood had a truck trailer on the back of his property and it was housing untold numbers of cats who bred like crazy! He'd throw them some raw liver every once in a while and that was his idea of caring. So eventually, of course, they made their way down the street to the Crazy Cat Lady on the Hill. (That would be me.) And I had to trap and alter all of them. Aside from the expense for altering, cat food, shots, surgeries, etc., I became attached to every last one of them and cried buckets for weeks when I had to let them go to a new home. I was glad they had a permanent home but I loved those li'l ones. If people would just THINK!!!! But cats get treated worse than dogs, unfortunately, because many people consider them throwaways. And, believe it or not, there are still some ignoramuses (or ignorami :p ) out there who believe that cats can't feel pain. Can you imagine?

Blessings,
Mary

Prairie Purrs
03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
It seems that mama cat is bouncing off the walls a bit, but she's feeding the babies, who appear to be doing fine so far. Fingers crossed that she'll settle down soon and realize what a lucky girl she is to be off the streets. She and the kittens are in very good hands!

Lori Jordan
03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
ADORABLE,I miss little babies,They are so much fun to have around!

momcat
03-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping this poor little kitty family! Mommycat is probably pretty scared and confused about being rescued but before long I'm sure she'll calm down once she gets used to her new lifestyle... loved, cared for, being warm and comfortable. The babies are way too cute, any idea of how old they are? Because of you, these kitties have a chance for the pampered life every kitty deserves.

Groucho is sending you lots of purrs, kitty hugs, and kitty kisses to thank you for caring enough to save his fellow kitties. According to Groucho, every kitty should be a Pet Talk kitty! Because of you these little guys have a chance for the kind of life our PT kitties enjoy and have come to expect.

Prairie Purrs
03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
The babies are way too cute, any idea of how old they are?

Definitely less than a week old, probably no more than three or four days old. I moved that shelter to the other side of the porch a week ago, and there weren't any kittens in there then. It's a very good thing that someone else could take them right away, because I'm sure I would have fallen in love with every one of them.

jenluckenbach
03-02-2007, 08:00 PM
I guess it turned out to be a good thing that you were taking down that shelter. Mom should be alright. Bonnie LITERALLY bounced of my walls too when she came here pregnant, but nursed her babies and started to settle in as we all got aquainted together.
And those babies are adorable!! And will now be raised tame and not turn into feral, baby-machines outside.