PDA

View Full Version : My Dad is the Rabbit Man!

Uabassoon
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I remember when he first got his judges license and how excited he was. Now he's in the paper :) I'm going to have to call him later this afternoon and congratulate him! He looks so serious in the photo! My sister sent me the article today in an email and we both laughed about how serious he looked. Normally my dad is a huge joker!

Rabbits help kick off Star Round-up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/dad.jpg
Across breed rabbit wait to be judged by STAR judge, Juan Ybarra, along with others during the rabbit showing at STAR, South Texas Agriculture Roundup, Wednesday afternoon at the Edinburg Municipal Park. (By Joel Martinez)

EDINBURG — Kayla Duran’s 8-year-old arms weren’t quite long enough to hold down three bunnies at once.

It seemed one of them — either Cookie, Spotty or Gumdrop — was always popping up.

But, standing on a black milk crate, Kayla kept her cool. She whispered to her black and white spotted “Broken Cross” rabbits to hold still as judge Juan Ybarra approached her on the competition line at the fourth annual South Texas Agriculture Round Up’s rabbit show.

“They just get a little worried,” she said.

Wednesday afternoon’s event was a light, not to mention quiet and relatively clean, kickoff to the four-day livestock show and auction at the Edinburg Municipal Park. The poultry show was slated for Wednesday evening and steers and goats are set to be shown throughout the day today.

Kayla, a third-grader at Clover Elementary in San Juan, entered the rabbit show for the first time this year after watching her sister Karina, 11, participate in the event through the PSJA Junior FFA.

She walked away from the event with fifth place. Karina’s black rabbits took second place.

“I love working with animals,” Karina said, adding that she wants to be a veterinarian and breed rabbits when she grows up. “So, I decided I should try this out this year.”

Ybarra, a Brownsville resident and member of American Rabbit Breeders Association, has judged rabbit shows for 10 years and is stone-faced when it comes to the business of quality rabbit breeding.

critter crazy
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Awww....that is awsome!! tell your dad that he looks great, and is doing a fabulous Job!! Yay for Juan!

kimlovescats
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
How nice that he is getting his recognition after 10 years! They even called him "stone-faced"! hehe! :D

lizbud
03-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I think that's pretty neat. :) Did you ever want to have a rabbit as
a pet?

Uabassoon
03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I think that's pretty neat. :) Did you ever want to have a rabbit as
a pet?

I grew up around rabbits as my dad raised them, I also showed rabbits in 4H and FFA when I was a kid. Once when I was around 14 we went to a rabbit show and behind my dads back I bought myself a Mini Lop! Thankfully my dad is the nice guy that he is, we bought a carrier and brought her home :) He even made a nice hutch for me to have her in my room. Only problem was that I never realized I had allergies! For months I was congested and couldn't figure out why, then one day I spent the night someplace else and was fine. After that we moved her hutch, I was fine if I was outside with her or even in another room but having her in my room ended up just being too much for my allergies. Once she passed away we decided no more pet rabbits for me!

I still like bunnies but I think I'm more of a cat/dog person. However someday if I ever have children and end up with a kid that is a bunny lover I wouldn't be against having another, it just can't share my room!

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
:D :D :D I must say Laura...the title of your thread made me curious....The Rabbit Man! And what a sweet article with that small town flavor to it.

Thanks and congrats to you dad....

cloverfdx
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
That is great Laura :D. You and your family must be proud.

Uabassoon
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
:D :D :D I must say Laura...the title of your thread made me curious....The Rabbit Man! And what a sweet article with that small town flavor to it.

Just because it was ground-breaking front page news doesn't mean it's a small town :D

I called my dad and teased him about his "stone-face", he claims he was just focused.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
How cool! :D

Killearn Kitties
03-02-2007, 02:00 AM
I think you should write a letter of complaint about them calling your dad stone-faced. :D What a cheek!

You have a celebrity in the family!

Karen
03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Hee hee! Fun story, and more fun that he's your dad! Miss Hoppy could never be a show bunny - I'd worry she'd treat judges like she does veterinarians, and *chomp* - career over!

ramanth
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
That's so cool! Your dad does look so serious and they even state as such in the article. :D

finn's mom
03-02-2007, 09:28 AM
That is so cool. I love learning about people's families and backgrounds. It really adds an entirely new dimension to how you view a person! Your dad's adorable!

cyber-sibes
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
That's really sweet! A cute article, your dad must like kids a lot as well as rabbits! ;)