PDA

View Full Version : Who are you???

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:03 PM
GRRRR!!! Ever since we got our phone connected we have been getting calls for Darnell and Miranda..... Apparently Darnell and Miranda got a little behind on their bills because it seems like everyday I get another call from the same mortgage company or bill collector looking for these two people!!! Every time they call I inform them that this is the wrong number and ask them to update their information so that they will stop calling me. EVERY TIME that I do this they act all suspicious and take down my name and number. Good Grief!!
Here is how today's call went:

Them:"Hello, is this Miranda so-and-so?"
Me:"No, I'm sorry you have the wrong number."
"Who am I talking to?"
"Melissa so-and-so"
"Do you know Miranda so-and-so"
"No, sorry, I do not"
"Do you know where we can reach Miranda so-and-so?"
"I DO NOT know this person, please take my number off of your list and stop calling me"
"Have a nice day" *click*

I have asked to speak with management and I have referred them to the phone company. I have been nice, I have been mean, I have started crying. Nothing will make them stop calling me and it is TICKING ME OFF!!! Most of the time they say that they will "make a note of it" that they have the wrong number but they just keep calling back. EVERY call from the same number at the same company!!!

Slightly less frustrating but still annoying is that every delivery place that takes down my number reads me back the address that I can only assume belongs to Miranda and Darnell :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Ask to be put on their "do not call list." If they are telemarketers they are not allowed to call back if you ask this...however they may say something like it will take 30 days to be put into effect. I know how annoying that is! One number of ours we got at least 5 wrong numbers a week. :rolleyes:

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I wish that they were telemarketers because then I could do something about it. The two places that keep calling are a mortgage firm looking for their money and a bill collector who is also looking for their money...

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Do not call will not help with this. I have had that problem....even went to the trouble of retruning the message left to try and help them.

On the other hand...how many people try and evade creditors by saying "wrong number"?

I was told I had two choices....get another phone number or wait for them to find Miranda. :mad: :(

It did stop eventually.

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
You should call the phone company and get a new number you will not get relief from bill collectors.

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Good point, I could easily be who they are looking for but tell them that I'm not :rolleyes: I almost want to fax them a copy of my stinking phone bill. Here is my number, here is my name, WOW! :D

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:15 PM
You should call the phone company and get a new number you will not get relief from bill collectors.

:( I love my new phone number! It is so easy to remember... :( I hope that it doesn't come to that!

BC_MoM
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Can't you block their phone number?

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
hmm I have no idea :confused:

BC_MoM
03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I know here, we have a short cut where we can do it ourselves. Maybe try calling your phone company and see if there is a way to block theirs calls.

It's just not fair to you having to put up with this.

catnapper
03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I kept getting the same bill collectors calling for my deceased MIL's exhusband's deadbeat son (follow that connection?) it wasn't until I threatened to sue them for harassment that they actually stopped calling.

Lori Jordan
03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Im through Bell Canada.....And there is a thing you can out on your monthly bill,*60 and you can block whatever number you want,Also with bell you can get a unlisted number free of charge if your getting harrasing phone numbers which you are,They are not wanted...Just something for you too look at..

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
The only things that I haven't tried are blocking the number, which I don't think would work, and threatening to report them. I'll see what I can find out :)

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I kept getting the same bill collectors calling for my deceased MIL's exhusband's deadbeat son (follow that connection?) .

I'm shocked that I am able to understand that completely :D :eek: :D

Lori Jordan
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes it might be harder for you,as bill collectors im sure have different numbers on every phone they use,But i would call your phone company im sure whether you are with Bell,Rogers,or whomever they would have some sort of blocking system they use,We all know what unwated phone calls are like!

GreyhoundGirl
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
We get a phone call every mothers day from a crazy old lady. :rolleyes: We just pretent to be her daughter... lol, we're so bad :p

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 02:30 PM
We get a phone call every mothers day from a crazy old lady. :rolleyes: We just pretent to be her daughter... lol, we're so bad :p
Really? haha, I wonder who her real daughter is?

Sometimes, when I call my grandmother's phone, I get some other number...not sure how that works but it does sometimes. The other lady thinks I'm one of her grandkids though, and I have to say I have the wrong number. :o

Freedom
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
The phone companies are running out of numbers. So when you get a number, it has not been "off line" for very long. and people call looking for the previous owner of that number.

It is unfortunate that you have bill collectors, but you KNOW they aren't after YOU!! I tmay help if you tell them that you just got this phone number and the folks they are looking for must have hd it before the pone company reassigned it to you. And then add that you wish they would stop calling YOU.

I have a weird phone situation, as well. Once upon a time, the tool makers used to have a section in the owner's manual which listed all their service centers, by state. And my phone umber was the service center for Rhode Island. Well, they stopped doing that and switched so you call an 800 number.

But all those thousands of tool manuals are still out there. So everytime some handy man somewhere had a tool that won't work right anymore, I get a phone call.

"Is this Porter Cable?"
"Do you fix electric drills?"
"Hi, I need a part for my xxx 3/4 inch mac type saw."

I finally got the toll free number from Home Depot. We keep it by the phone and patiently explain to each and everyone of these callers to line out our number and use this one - and we give them the toll free one.

Every time the season changes, we get a string of phone calls. Folks are taking out equipment that they haven't used for a few months and need to get it up and running again.

The guy that called me THREE times? Him I yelled at. :D

lizbud
03-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Aaww, that's sad isn't it. :(