PDA

View Full Version : Complete chaos in my area!

Randi
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Got back from the first day in my new job, and it's chaos around my area!! Helicopters are circling around and Fister is NOT amused!

Some time ago I posted about a house some young kids have had for years, but this morning, the police cleared it all - they came down on the roof by helicopter. Demonstrations have taken place several places in town, but the biggest was on a square 10 min. from me. This is where my vet resides - he has barricated all his windows.

It's getting worse by the minute, I'm watching it on TV2 News Channel as we speak. So far no one has died, but lots have arrested. The worst is right on the other side of the churchyard - behind the yellow wall, 6 min. walk.

Here's a link: Got back from the first day in my new job, and it's chaos around my area!! Helicopters are circling around and Fister is NOT amused!

Some time ago I posted about a house some young kids have had for years, but this morning, the police cleared it all - they came down on the roof by helicopter. Demonstrations have taken place several places in town, but the biggest was on a square 10 min. from me. This is where my vet resides - he has barricated all his windows.

It's getting worse by the minute, I'm watching it on TV2 News Channel. So far no one has died, but lots have arrested.

Here's a link: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-6263308.html

Every link which says Ungdomshuset, Demonstration or Nørrebro, will have pictures. Billeder means pictures. ;)

Please, let me have some peace and quiet for my dinner and a Valium for Fister. Hope I can sleep tonight and go to work tomorrow! :rolleyes:

borzoimom
03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I can not read the language on the link. What is causing all this unrest? :confused:

Killearn Kitties
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh Randi! I remember when it flared up before. Hopefully it will not last too much longer.
I'm glad you got back safely. Give Fister a big squeeze from me. Does he like soothing music? It might drown the noise a bit for him.

IRescue452
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I hope the chaos calms down soon and you stay safe.

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Poor Fister....poor you! How awful! I hope it calms down soon!

Randi
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Bombs are being thrown, cars burned down, and it's generally a huge mess! The police are now threatening with teargas. I should think that will end it!

The politicians have been such wimps about the whole thing!!

Edit: Wow, a huge police van just arrived in my street which is right on the other side of the churchyard. What are they planning. :confused:

At least the helicopters went away, so Fister has calmed down. :)

ramanth
03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Riots are always pretty scary. I was on campus visiting friends when the one here at MSU broke out. I zipped home before it became too ugly. Glad I did as they were tipping cars and piling furniture in the streets and lighting them on fire.

I hope Fister and you stay safe. *hugs*

Ginger's Mom
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh Randi, like you don't have enough stress, right? I am so sorry to hear this. I hope it is ended quickly and it will be the end of the trouble in your neighborhood. Stay safe.

Cinder & Smoke
03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
:eek: :(

I hope you've found a route to work that takes you SAFELY around the problem area.

Please don't risk your personal safety for a mere paycheck! :p

ChrisH
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh, Randi, that must be so scary! I was nervous when we had a riot on the estate where I live but it was a bit further away than the one happening around you and not as bad.
Hope it calms down real soon. Stay safe. {{{hugs}}}

gini
03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Randi, let me echo Phred's thoughts. Please do take good care of YOU.

(that's after you have calmed Fister down and reassured him).

I hope this is over soon.

catnapper
03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Oh my goodness! It sounds just awful... I'll look to see if its on the world news tonight. My prayers are with you. Pouncer's upset just thinking about all that noise and chaos and wishes Fister some peace and quiet tonight

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I just looked at the photos. Very frightening stuff there! It looks like the police mean business! Hope with nightfall things are settling down.

p.s. Paris Hilton??????? In the Danish press?????

borzoimom
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Safety first- Praying this will be resolved soon.. Please keep us posted.

lizbud
03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
This chaos is being covered by the BBC as well. Sounds frightning.
Take care of yourself Randi.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6408525.stm

Randi
03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your concern - Fister is tougher than I thought, but then, he has witnessed quite a few things around here. ;) He's now under the lamp next to me. :) I'll be OK.

Things have quietened down now, but they expect it to flare up again later - I guess everyone needs a break.

I'll update you tomorrow. I'm SOO tired!

BC_MoM
03-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, how scary! :( Stay safe, please!

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh no, looks scary! I hope you and Fister stay safe.

Barbara
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Wow and that's Denmark!(as opposite to Afghanistan). Looks as if you cannot accept a situation for tens of years and then suddenly change it.
I hope you and Fister stay safe (and somehow I'm convinced you will be- good that Fister keeps his quiet ;))

momoffuzzyfaces
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Gosh, My thoughts and prayers are with you and Fister!
Stay safe my friends!!!

Randi
03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I haven't been able to keep up as I've been working all day. However, it's quiet now, but they expect it to continue all through the weekend.

Here's a little article from Copenhagen News:

After a night of violent protests, the N¯rrebro neighbourhood is clearing away the cobblestones and broken glass

With the smell of burnt plastic, wood and other refuse still hanging over the streets of the Nørrebro district, residents and shop keepers are beginning to clean up after a day of violent protests by supporters of the Ungdomshuset youth collective.

The main Nørrebrogade thoroughfare was still closed to cars Friday morning, but cyclists were able to weave their way past melted rubbish bins and charred bike frames set alight by the young people as they reacted to an early morning police action to evict the squatters.

After what police called a 'quiet' afternoon, the riot broke out in earnest when a rally held by supporters moved in against the police, casting cobblestones and erecting baracades across Nørrebrogade and other side streets.

Police arrested 219 people in conjunction with the riots. Another Ungdomshuset rally has been called for this afternoon, and*police have called in reinforcements from throughout the country in expectation of a*new wave clashes.

Sympathy protests were staged in the cities of Aalborg and ?rhus. German police report arresting 14 people in Hamburg in conjunction with protests outside the Danish consulate.

Young people have also reportedly held demonstrations in Oslo, Stockholm, Gothenburg, Flensborg and Vienna in support of the Copenhagen protests.

Danish police have tightened control at its borders in order to prevent foreign protesters from entering the country.

These are pictures people sent in: http://politiken.dk/fotografier/billedhjul_foto/article254429.ece

Behind the yellow brickwall is the churchyard - I'm on the side of that.

slick
03-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Randi, thanks for posting and letting us know you are alright. I took a look at some of those photos and cringed. That must have been so scary for you and Fister.

From what I gather, there was a house full of squatters and the police showed up to kick them out and that caused all the riots and fires?? Seems a little extreme to me but I guess I just don't know the full story yet.

I'll call you on the weekend.

lizbud
03-02-2007, 06:14 PM
From what I gather, there was a house full of squatters and the police showed up to kick them out and that caused all the riots and fires?? Seems a little extreme to me but I guess I just don't know the full story yet.

That was my take on this story too. This group claims ownership of the
building because of "squatters rights" or something. I hope you & Fister
can safely stay away from all this.

Barbara
03-03-2007, 05:32 AM
According to our newspaper they have not been squatters from the beginning but the city left the house to the youth as early as 1982. Now some years ago they tried to revoke that but couldn't as the people in it didn't agree.
Then they sold it to a church who is now the owner and trying to evict these people.

The chaos scene are very good networkers so riots spread over to Northern Germany- there have been some demonstrations in Hamburg and Hannover to sympathize.

For me it's somehow funny to have it these days- I remember more of it in the 1970s and 1980s.

Hope the TV program is nice this weekend as I would not walk a lot on the streets, these days. And Fister: this weekend you do NOT beg to get out!

Rachel
03-03-2007, 06:30 AM
I do hope that all this can be resolved soon by the police and your neighborhood can have peace and serenity for those who have the legitimate right to live there. The concept of *squatters rights* doesn't sit well with me and even if it did, I think the actions taken by these people are deplorable.

Randi
03-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Although I can, to a certain extent, sympathise with the kids wanting to keep "their" house I really think they've gone over the top now!! Burning innocent residents cars and totally destroyed a Gymnasium in another part of town. I feel sorry for the elderly and sick people and the poor cats and dogs. They must be so frightened! :mad:

I went to bed at 11 and wanted to get some sleep, because I knew something was going to happen later in the night. And yes, I was woken up around 2. Fister heard it of course, he came running to me miawing like crazy to tell me something was going on. Luckily, it's not in streets right where I live, but across the churchyard (6 min. walk) However, it's enough to wake you up.

The police have called in forces from all over Denmark and borrowed huge vans from the Swedish police - a lot of their own have been ruined.

Demonstrations continue this afternoon from various places, so we can expect more of this tonight. Helicopters are circling around again now.

This is what BBC News write today. Under the map, there are more recent pictures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6414481.stm

I'm posting a map to show you where it all goes on. On the right side of the lakes is the city center. I live where the red dot is, the youth house is on the blue dot, and the green dot is the square where almost all demonstrations start from, and also where my vet is. The yellow dot is where a lot of it was happening during last night. The streets marked yellow are completely closed off and the whole area is like a war zone! :( Up to now, about 600 have been arrested.

This is the kids' homepage with info in English.
http://ungdomshuset.dk/en.php3?id_rubrique=4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/Part-of-Copenhagen-.jpg

gini
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh Randi, that is just too close for comfort. And poor Fister coming to wake you up to tell you something is going on.

I hope you stay safe and this can be resolved soon.

lizbud
03-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Wow, from the map you can see that you are exactly in the middle of
all this. Does your country have the equivalent of our National Guard?
(Federal troops). It seems near impossible for local police forces to handle
things.

lizbud
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Randi, I was curious to know if this conflict was ever settled. Is it safe
to go out now?

Randi
03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your concern! I'm quite close to it yes, but it has quietened down considerably now. :) However, I still hear helicopters circling around now and again, which is a nuisance!!

They started knocking the house down monday morning at 8, the workers wore masks so they cound't be recognised and their equipment was painted over, so no one could see which company they came from. They were threatened of course, but they had police protection all the time.

I understand that the kids are "pissed off" that they "their" house has vanished, but I'm dissappointed that they started burning recidents cars and bicyckes etc. They also went in to a Gymnasium in another part of town to burn books and throw computers out of the windows. That was totally out of line!! :mad: OK, this was only a small group of them, and most of those have been arrested, I think.

There has also been peaceful demonstrations though. :)

On this site there are pictures on the right side. From where it says: "Kampen om Jagtvej" and all the way down.

http://politiken.dk/indland/article261594.ece