PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players

slleipnir
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
What are some good MP3 players??

I currently have an RCA one and it's crap. It never works properly. So I'm fed up and ready to buy a better quality one.

I've heard iPods are good. But are pricey. Are they worth the money? Do you need to download all music from iTunes and pay for every song? Or can I put stuff right from my comptuer?

Or what other MP3 players are good? I don't care for something that can display video or pictures. I want it for music only. (if it comes with it, like I think iPods do it's fine but it's not needed)

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Creative zen are great and a good price...I bought my daughter one for 60.00 when her 300.00 ipod got stolen at school :rolleyes:

wolf_Q
03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I have an ipod...ok, I admit, I only bought one because it was the U2 special edition ipod. :o You can upload all of your cds onto your computer then onto your ipod. I've only downloaded maybe one song from itunes...the rest are from my cds. Just connect to the internet while you're doing it and it will automatically get the song titles/artist (yeah, I'm an idiot...I went through several cds typing all the info in before I figured that out :rolleyes: )I've never had a problem with it, it has always worked fine.

CathyBogart
03-01-2007, 12:22 AM
I have an iRiver MP3 player. Mike got it for me for my birthday. <3 It's not as snazzy as the iPods, but it was only around $70 (I picked it out). I'm really happy with it.

cmayer31
03-01-2007, 01:13 AM
I have an iRiver with a 30 gig hard drive that I love, but the battery died after a couple of years and they don't make a replacememnt. I'd have to modify an iPod battery to work. It's now in my office at work because it has all my songs and an FM tuner, but it has to be plugged in the entire time.

I use an iPod shuffle for when I'm out and about. It's great for its purpose of just randomly playing songs, but there's no display so it's always a surprise. I've never downloaded from iTunes, I just load the music from my computer through iTunes.

I've heard good things about creative as well.

Uabassoon
03-01-2007, 01:52 AM
How much music do you want it to hold? Are you looking to load up your entire CD collection? If so I would recomend an Ipod or a Creative Zen. Do you just want a couple hundred songs to get you though a trip or workout session? Then I would suggest the Zen Nano (comparable to an Ipod shuffle only much cheaper and it also has a screen allowing you to see what is playing and create a playlist). Another good one is the SanDisk Sansa, I bought one for my father for Xmas, it was cheap and super user friendly, much more so than a shuffle. The quality is good, one AAA battery lasts forever, and unlike the shuffle it has a screen to see what music is playing as well as the ability to make a playlist.

SunsetRose
03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Ipods can be a pretty big rip off, but they can also be well worth it.

If you can afford an Ipod, then do yourself a favor and load all your CD's onto it and check out your friend's libraries.

Sites like napster, which have deals where you pay like $10 for a month of unlimited access to songs, well they're great for other MP3 players, but they aren't compatable with Ipods.

There was one new MP3 by Sony I believe, I can't remember the name of it, but it's supposed to be right up there with the Ipods but you CAN use napster.

Ceph
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
I have a zune and I loooooooove it. I had a creative vision : m (still do) but unless you are careful with it it will lock up every few months and you will have to let the battery run down. Zune on the other hand has a great system, looks nice, and is just pretty much awsome :)

king2005
03-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Work gave us their latest MP3 player for xmas. Its a Samsung K5 & OMG I love this thing, I cannot put it down!

it has:
A 4G hard drive
Photo Viewer
An alarm clock
An FM radio (I use this all day long at work)
Super spiffy Earphones that have wicked sound (great base too!) + they are the antenna for the radio
2 flip out speakers

However the K5 costs about 300.00 at retail (thats what I was told). I think I got all the features

slleipnir
03-01-2007, 08:31 AM
I might spend between 100-200 dollars...I want a good quality one that will actually play random songs. Mine will play random, but if I start from the same some everytime it will play the same random songs everytime. It freezes all the time, that's annoying. I can't skip more than 2 songs without it freezing.

I've looked into some of these things. iRiver and creative zen are apperintly the same price as an iPod nano. which would be the best?

king2005
03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I might spend between 100-200 dollars...I want a good quality one that will actually play random songs. Mine will play random, but if I start from the same some everytime it will play the same random songs everytime. It freezes all the time, that's annoying. I can't skip more than 2 songs without it freezing.

I've looked into some of these things. iRiver and creative zen are apperintly the same price as an iPod nano. which would be the best?

I would vote ipod cause many of the parts are made by Samsung=non junk & ipods are hardy... I know nothing about iriver & c.zen, never heard of them

Karen
03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
I have an ipod and love it, I wouldn't have bought one for myself but got it as a present! (Smart of Paul) I have the larger one, not the Nano, but if you want songa to play randomly, it does do that - and it's really random. I forgot that I have an MP3 of the time I was on the radio that loaded into iTunes, so I was really surprised to hear that one day instead of the "next song!"

Killearn Kitties
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I was given an ipod at Christmas, which surprised me no end, because I had never had a desire for such a thing, but I absolutely LOVE it. I haven't tried transferring CDs yet, but am going to do that soon.

smokey the elder
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I have a pretty enormous CD collection I eventually want to put onto an mp3 player. Thank goodness for fair-use rules! It's not illegal to copy your own media for yourself. I'm hunting around for an mp3 player, too.

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
if it's a Nano you just plug it into the USB port of your computer and it will charge it :) I LOVE the iPod Nano that we have!! We even have a car kit that uses the car's cassette player to play songs from the iPod over your car speakers... I don't know how the other iPod's charge but I would imagine that they also charge using the USB cable

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Thats one thing I like about the zen, it uses a triple a battery. My other daughter has an ipod and it must be charged on the pc.

slleipnir
03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Thats one thing I like about the zen, it uses a triple a battery. My other daughter has an ipod and it must be charged on the pc.

Yeah that kinda sucks if you're out somewhere with it

Sirrahsim
03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
If you're out with your car you can purchase a car charger for it that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of extras that the ipod gets you for.

slleipnir
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of extras that the ipod gets you for.

For lots of extra money :rolleyes: hehe. I did go with the iPod though. It's very nifty looking. It's still charging though. Gonna have to see how to put my own music on it. do I NEED itunes to put music on it? Like do I need to upload my music onto itunes then to my ipod?

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't think you do, I am sure others here can help you.

Lori Jordan
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
My daughter got an ipod for christmas,They seem to be what all the kids want Becca has a mp3 player which she never uses.

slleipnir
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
It takes me about 45mins to walk to work...it's so much more enjoyable with music! It was annoying cause I'd get half way and my mp3 would die! lol

Lori Jordan
03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Becca has a charger well it charges off the net.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
For lots of extra money :rolleyes: hehe. I did go with the iPod though. It's very nifty looking. It's still charging though. Gonna have to see how to put my own music on it. do I NEED itunes to put music on it? Like do I need to upload my music onto itunes then to my ipod?
No, you don't need to buy itunes, but if your music files are all in the .wav format, you will have to "convert" them all to itunes format. You have to import the stuff you want unless you put them in sync. For me, I just import the folders I want because Eric has more music than on our 3 hard drives than anyone else on the planet. :D :rolleyes:

slleipnir
03-01-2007, 02:08 PM
lol I'll see if I can figure that out...I think most of my music is in mp3 format

It sure takes a while to charge D:

xcolbi
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I have a Creative Zen Nano Plus and it's awesome! You can get them in any colour you like (mine's red), and they have up to 1 GB of memory, which is about 500 songs. There's a michropone to record yourself, and you can get any radio channel on the radio setting. Here's a picture of mine:

Killearn Kitties
03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
How disappointing! Mine was charged when I got it. It does last for ages though, once charged. :)

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
xcolbi, that is exactly what my daughter has, even down to the color. She loves it.

Aren't ipod's mp3 players also?

kitten645
03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Ipods store music as MP4s not MP3s. Itunes converts mp3s to mp4s. I understand about 20% of what my ipod does :rolleyes: but I'm learning! LOL!

slleipnir
03-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I wonder if it's broken...it's been charging since 2:30 this afternoon and it's not 12:30am...it STILL says charging do not disconect

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I wonder if it's broken...it's been charging since 2:30 this afternoon and it's not 12:30am...it STILL says charging do not disconect
No, it will keep saying that unless you "stop" the device. Then it will tell you it's safe to unplug it. Did you load all your songs on it while it's charging? :)

BitsyNaceyDog
03-02-2007, 07:58 AM
No, it will keep saying that unless you "stop" the device. Then it will tell you it's safe to unplug it. Did you load all your songs on it while it's charging? :)
Yep. Your computer treats it like an external drive and you have to "eject" it before unplugging it.

slleipnir
03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Ooh. How do I "eject it"?

(edit) nevermind it's in itunes, right?

I notice there are games on it..can you dl new games?

xcolbi
03-02-2007, 09:21 AM
xcolbi, that is exactly what my daughter has, even down to the color. She loves it.

Aren't ipod's mp3 players also?

Yes, they are just MP3s, but more popular. Almost all my friends have one. A guy in my class has one but he never uses it. My friend has one and she's only had it for a couple months, and it crashed. I don't really see the point in spending all that money on an MP3. I find the people around here just buy them because it makes them look "cool". :rolleyes: No offense to anyone who likes iPods, but I find they're a waste of money. (from what I've seen happen to the ones that my friends have had.) :)