PDA

View Full Version : White Faced Tiel [Pics Added]

areias
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Decided to make a new thread-here are some pictures! I have officialy decided, since reading info on sexing on the web, that he is actually a male. Although if you beg to differ, let me know what you think. The old name was "Jelly" but she said he dosen't know it. Name suggestions would be good! For some reason I keep thinking Mac but I don't know why...idk if fits him though.

He actually started talking to me. He said dirty bird over and over again for like...half an hour, hahaha. :) I did let him out of his cage-he wanted to come out sooo bad. So he sat on top for a little bit and looked around. The only problem I had was getting him back IN his cage. He threw a fit when I went to pick him up to put him in. :rolleyes: He should get over that once he gets used to the surroundings, routine, etc. He loved the camera...kept trying to nibble on it.

Anyway, on to the pics!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/406419324_eb1cb582a0.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/406419321_cf89bd9015.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/406419318_e5eccc63c9.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/406419338_71451e4d93.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/406419313_45451ae133.jpg

And one of his cage.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/406419332_8d7589d90e.jpg

That's all! Intros out of cage with Tiki tomorrow..

CathyBogart
02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
He's quite a looker!! :)

DrKym
03-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Oh great!!

I am trying to tell Nahui she needs no man and you post a HUNK!!!

*tells Nahui that the hunk is taken and to just give mama kisses* :p

Beautiful baby! and handsome fella!!

borzoimom
03-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow- he is pretty! His eye is awfully dark so I think its a male also. I am so glad you are pleased! I know you were worried about him.

DrKym
03-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Arieas,

Since you asked, he is a he LOL Whiteface are sexually dimorphic. Hens never get the whiteface as it is a sexlinked color mutation. So with out a doubt he is a he!! :)

As for a name cant help you there, he is too handsome for the standard names I can think of :D

sprokett
03-01-2007, 09:25 AM
wow hes gorgeous but isnt it a girl?!?!?!?!?!?

(stripes under the tail)

stirpes under the tail means its a girl

DrKym
03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
wow hes gorgeous but isnt it a girl?!?!?!?!?!?

(stripes under the tail)

stirpes under the tail means its a girl

White face tiels are a sex linked color mutation, hens never get the whiteface.

It is a boy, and striped tails happens with males also.

Argranade
03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Aww that sure looks like a little boy to me :)

Mac fits him swell!

What a darling :D

Just incase you didn't know, don't give him too much grit!

Great pics!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I love the name Mac! He's so cute. I just know that he and Tiki will enjoy each others company and soon become best friends.

Since you asked, he is a he LOL Whiteface are sexually dimorphic. Hens never get the whiteface as it is a sexlinked color mutation. So with out a doubt he is a he!! :) Just wanted to add a clarification to this statement. With normal whitefaces (which are a mutation of a normal grey cockatiel) the males do have white faces and the females have grey faces. However not all whiteface cockatiel mutations follow the same rule. Peid-whitefaces and lutino-whitefaces (or albino) cannot be visually sexed. Mac is a normal whiteface though, so yes he is indeed a male.

DrKym
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I love the name Mac! He's so cute. I just know that he and Tiki will enjoy each others company and soon become best friends.

Just wanted to add a clarification to this statement. With normal whitefaces (which are a mutation of a normal grey cockatiel) the males do have white faces and the females have grey faces. However not all whiteface cockatiel mutations follow the same rule. Peid-whitefaces and lutino-whitefaces (or albino) cannot be visually sexed. Mac is a normal whiteface though, so yes he is indeed a male.

Thank you for clarifying.

I should have posted that also, however I was lazy. :o

As I said in another thread, best way to know for sure (minus the few sexually dimorphics in avians) is to have the bird sexed by a vet.

Thank you again.

Husky_mom
03-01-2007, 11:06 AM
WHAT A PRETTY BOY!! you have there

definately a boy........and a talker!! what a cutie.........I want a whiteface so bad........but I want a pied one.....or lutino one....

congrats.....

arenīt you going to quarantine before intros?.....just curious.....

Zippy
03-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Mac is a beauty. :) Congrats on your new tiel.

lllxtclll
03-01-2007, 11:26 AM
pretty bird. If you want name suggestions the people here are awesome to ask. I had a thread open for name seggestions for my Savanna Monitor and I picked the name yesterday out of 3 PAGES of name ideas. There was a whole lot of really good ones too. If you go to the "My Savanna Needs a Name" thread, theres a whole lot of really good names listed.
Hope that helps ya, and he is a beautiful bird.

areias
03-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think Mac will be his new name, it's the only one I like so far. He's very talkative, repeating "dirty bird" and "pretty bird" over and over. He got a little wierded out this morning when I went to take him out, so I left him alone for the day. I'm about to see how he's doing now.

Tiki is very interested in this new character...Mac could care less about Tiki. But no pressure on either of them to make friends, yet.

The lady had him for 8 months...and he was the only bird in the house so I'm not too worried about quarantining.

I did kind of want a Lutino, but they are SO hard to find here...unless you go to Petsmart and pay $125 for one (most cockatiels are $60-$100). So, I took the next best thing. :)

GreyhoundGirl
03-01-2007, 04:46 PM
:D He's gorgeous! I like the name mac too, it seems fitting somehow. :D

BCollie_Kelly
03-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Wow, he is quite the looker! More pictures, please! :D

sweetpatata6
03-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I know, right?!