PDA

View Full Version : It is my own fault. :(

jenluckenbach
02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
A few times last week I allowed the babies (Chip and Dale) to come downstairs to run and play. They deserve the extra exercise and attention. But I caused my own problems as now Jim and Sterling are back on a spray-marking spree. :mad: They are both peeing around the house in spite of the fact that they are on medication. DRAT!! I should have known better. :(

Now I have to figure out how to get them to stop! I know that I should confine them, but trust me when I say it just doesn't work. I've gone that route and it is miserable for all of us.

I do think that I will try the Feliway spray directly on a collar (although I have no clue as to whether they will keep a collar on, or not) AND I don't have the Feliway and it since it is SO expensive in the stores, I would rather order it, but then I need to wait for the delivery. GRRR. It is always something.

catfamily
02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
My Benson pees on the couches when we aren't looking.But he has had this problem since day 1.I'm trying the Bach Remedies now.Their are 3 that have urine problem for cats so I'm mixing those 3 with spring water.So far nothing.But maybe I need to do it for longer.He's a good boy and it's not that big of a deal because we covered the couches all with petmats.
The remedies:
chestnut bud
elm
willow
Those are the 3 that are used for controlling pee box problem cats.
Good Luck.It may stop without doing anything.Try not to panick.Maybe you can get some plastic or put some little baskets on the chairs upside down like we do :rolleyes:

Medusa
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm getting a commission from the Clomicalm people but since your kitties are on meds for spraying anyhow, why not give it a try? I've only had one incident since I started Specs and Yodie on it and I think that's only because one of them fooled me into thinking they swallowed it. I don't like having to give them meds every day but I can't let them use my house as their personal litterbox. It sure has saved my new house and my sanity.

Blessings,
Mary

rg_girlca
02-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh Jen, I am so sorry to hear that you are having problems again with the spraying. Come on guys, give meowmie a break here. Instead of getting upset over the kitties, why don't you try to enjoy them.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Jen.

Killearn Kitties
03-01-2007, 03:38 AM
I'm so sorry Jen. :( I don't have anything to suggest, only a bit of moral support for you. You work so hard to keep them all happy.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't want to sound like I'm getting a commission from the Clomicalm people but since your kitties are on meds for spraying anyhow, why not give it a try? I've only had one incident since I started Specs and Yodie on it and I think that's only because one of them fooled me into thinking they swallowed it. I don't like having to give them meds every day but I can't let them use my house as their personal litterbox. It sure has saved my new house and my sanity.

Blessings,
Mary

Is Clomicalm a prescription medication? My cats do it as well.

catfamily
03-01-2007, 12:10 PM
www.upco.com for feliway(the plug in)
This place has the cheepest around that I found for plug in feliways,if your interested.I used them for months and it helped.I may have to go back to it.Seems Benson started peeing out of the box as soon as I stopped buying these things.I had 4 upstairs and 4 downstairs.Way too expensive for a big house but now that I think back...it worked.
I'd also like to know if Clomicalm is a prescription drug.If anyone knows more on this product...I'd really like to learn.
I also shop www.revivalanimal.com for things.You may find something there.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
This is where I've gone for refills:
http://www.vetmeddeals.com/animal-behavior-feliway-cats-c-70_102.html

they come out to $14.99 each. I also bought a bunch of the plug in diffusers off of ebay (no bottles included). A while back I got 5 of them for $5.00 total! Check out ebay as well for that.

I can't get on the other website that was first mentioned.

Catsnclay
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm getting a commission from the Clomicalm people Mary

I too would be interested in these people, please post their website.

I also use the Feliway and notice when I don't have one going, that is when Yoshi tends to pee more :mad: I have many different websites I go to to buy the refill, and also notice higher the quanity the less the price. I have gotten them for as low as $12.99, but I had to buy 6 or more - which is fine by me!

I have also discovered that instead of cleaning up the pee with a cat product, I use a very weak mixture of bleach to water and it cleans up the pee instantly and it leaves it smelling fresh & clean! (make sure you only use a small amount of bleach to a lot of water & test area first). I don't know if the bleach has anything to do with this or not, but Yoshi will not pee over a area cleaned by this solution, hmmm maybe I'm on to something here!!

I have also noticed if I'm late on cleaning out the boxes he will pee. We also clean out the litter boxes with this bleach solution - so far so good!!!!

Our finger's are always crossed around here that he won't pee any more!! :rolleyes:

Catty1
03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Also - I know Nancy Efrusy has had a talk with one cat here who wouldn't use the box. Kitty apparently said she didn't like the litter...but she would try and behave from now on. And she has been!

MIght be worth it for Nancy to have a "talk" with those two.

catfamily
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Also - I know Nancy Efrusy has had a talk with one cat here who wouldn't use the box. Kitty apparently said she didn't like the litter...but she would try and behave from now on. And she has been!

MIght be worth it for Nancy to have a "talk" with those two.
Are you serious?Do you think they can understand her?
Imagine if it's true?And they can understand EVERYTHING we say?Or almost everything?

I just looked on her site...I may call her.I know it's nuts but I may do it.We'll see how bad we are not thinking cats and other pets can't understand us.Imagine??????

Medusa
03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, Clomicalm is by prescription. My vet had some in stock and gave me enough for both Specs and Yodie. Check out this website:
www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/clomicalm.shtm

As I mentioned earlier in another thread, it was originally prescribed for dogs w/separation anxiety but has been successfully used w/cats. Of course, talk to your vet about its use as you would w/any medication. But I tried Buspar to no avail and amitryptilene which worked for a little while but it had side effects. So far, Clomicalm is the one I like and the cats don't even put up a fuss any more when I pill them because they get 1/4 pill (5 mg.) and it goes down easily. Good luck w/whatever you decide.

Blessings,
Mary

jennielynn1970
03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
add an "l" onto the end of that web address.

jazzcat
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Jen I'm sorry to hear it. I'm dealing with my own behavioral-issue cats right now too so I can totally understand how you feel. You have my sympathies.

catfamily
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I looked up that site to find clomicalm and it has 20 40 and 80 mil pills.(Of course for big dogs)I know.But I'm sure they have them for cats.

Probably Better to get the 5's from the vet and cut in 4's.

Mike won't buy the feliways anymore.It costs way too much.I'll ask my vet tomorrow if those pills will help my cat stop peeing on the couch.chairs/futon..anywhere where there is material and I'll go from there.

Good Luck Jen....I also feel for you.It's tough.I wake up in the middle of the night and walk around the house to see if he peed anywhere.I'm losing way too much sleep over it so I can understand if your upset too Jen.

catmandu
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Miquelito Was Trying To Spray When Phillip Was Here, Even Though Phillip Was Downstairs.
Thankfully Being Neutered It Was A Diluted Smell But Needing Prompt Cleaning Up Anyways.
Jen We Hope You Can Stop This As We All Know How That Smell Can Ruin Things.

catfamily
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Jen this may help
Item: 73-394 - Calms - 1 - $8.99
This is at revivalanimal.com
It helps spraying without a prescription.
It's 100 tablets or they also have liquid

jenluckenbach
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Jen this may help
Item: 73-394 - Calms - 1 - $8.99
This is at revivalanimal.com
It helps spraying without a prescription.
It's 100 tablets or they also have liquid
Interesting.