PDA

View Full Version : RANT about my math grade!

Alysser
02-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Now before anyone reads this, my dad is by no means a bad person. He's a very good father, and he loves me alot, but he has a temper at times.

Now onto the rant:

I'll get straight to the point, I have an F in math right now. The number grade is a 64. The problem was, I didn't understand Geometry at all. I studied alot for quizzes, and tests. But no matter what, I failed them. Tonight I got my progress report, and I have all really good grades, except math. He yelled at me, and he said I'm stupid, and that I'm going to summer school. :( It really hurt me, because my dad is usually so laid back and easy-going. He has never yelled at me like that. I guess I deserve a lecture, but was the name-calling and yelling REALLY nessacary? I don't think it was. He said that I'm going to get a low grade this marking period. I'm going to prove him wrong, WAY wrong. Thank goodness we are out of geometry.

Thanks for listening to a really pointless rant.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry that your dad yelled at you, that is definitely no fun. :( I'm sure he didn't mean what he said.

Not everyone has the same aptitudes, but you are certainly not stupid- that much is clear just from reading your posts. :) I'm sure you will do better next term- good luck!

coco-bean
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
:) I totally understand what you are going through. My dad threatened to hold me back in the 6th grade because i was never good at math. Math to me is like a really hard foreign language! just dont get it, and still dont get it. He would always yell at me about how stupid i was, didnt matter how much i explained to him i didnt get it.
He compared me to my other friends who were doing so well and his come back to me always was "well if it's so hard for you then why does *so and so*-friends name inserted- get all A's or B's or whatever!
He just never understood that i just didnt get it.
Im really sorry your dad said that to you, he should have never said that to you. I totally understand.
Of course i was the complete opposite of you though, since he thought i was stupid i acted stupid (so i was called alot worse things as the years went on) just because he hated the fact that he had a daughter that was dumb and since he hurt me, i hurt him.
Best of luck to your math and if you ever need to talk about your dad just pm me anytime!

lizbud
02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
You know what? If your dad was really painfully honest with you, I would
bet he got low grades in Math too. :D Did you ever ask him for help in
understanding geometry?

Catty1
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
When I was in Grade 10, my math was NOT good (thanks to a crummy teacher in Grade 9, "Jolly Wally" :p ).

My math teacher offered to tutor me twice a week. I felt ashamed at first - but the patient one-on-one really helped. I saw my grades go from 60's to 80s and even a 90 once - and in GEOMETRY!

A couple extra hours a week can make a difference. It would be pro-active of you to try this.

Just a thought.

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Oh sweetie I am sorry your father said hurtful things. Just remember we parents lose it sometimes, I have certainly said things I don't mean or I shouldn't have. My daughter went to summer school 3 years in a row because math was just easier for her that way, it was all she had to focus on and they did all the work in class. By no means are you dumb and your father knows it.

Big hugs and I bet your Dad feels bad deep down inside, we just want our kids to succeed and not make the same mistakes we make, we forget that is part of the learning process.

mike001
02-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Chin up Maltese. I'm sure your dad was just having a bad day or something. Why not try to go to him and admit that you just don't get the geometry and ask him if he would be willing to help you get a grasp on things. He might admit he was no good at geometry either or he woiuld be proud that you asked for his help. If he says he doesn't do well with it, you'll know he was mad at himself and not you.
You don't come across as stupid, there's always a subject that we don't do so well in. He's your dad and he loves you, chances are he's sorry for yelling at you right now.
Don't forget being a parent is a tough job......as I'm sure you'll find out.

KittyGurl
02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Getting yelled at is no fun at all. I also ad that "failing" point this year. Algebra is was. I bet you can bring the grades up. Prove your dad wrong!

Giselle
02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
No worries. Geometry is a particularly difficult subject to grasp as it's the point where you're phasing out of algebra and into obscure math. Honestly, I always received B's in my geometry class in eigth grade. It was difficult because new ideas were being thrown at me and I never completely understood them. Now, as a sophomore, I'm pulling in a strong A in Hon Pre-Calculus which is based heavily on trig and, yes, geometry :) And to counter your dad's way of thinking, my GPA is a 4.4. Just goes to show you that your current rate in geometry now does not dictate whether you are smart or stupid and it will not determine your future in math. Trust me, the occassional F does a person's self-motivation good. Being able to rise above the negativity is a sign of strength and enthusiasm - both of which I'm sure you possess. Bottom line - Cheer up!