PDA

View Full Version : Prince Charles suggests banning McDonalds

Pam
02-28-2007, 06:55 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10426356

In light of the story of the 200 lb. eight year old currently in the news, (story here): http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=63864 Prince Charles suggests banning McDonalds. What a simplistic approach to childhood obesity. :rolleyes: It's amazing to me that he would make such a statement. He obviously doesn't have any grasp of the complexity of the situation. Does he think that children can actually drive themselves to their favorite fast food restaurant? Are the parents without blame? What about other restaurants? Recently several have come under attack for the ridiculously high calories and fat contained in their food and are making changes. I think any school age child can see that there is more to this problem than just McDonalds. I am glad this guy hasn't been put in charge of the world's problems. :rolleyes:

cyber-sibes
02-28-2007, 08:39 AM
I am glad this guy hasn't been put in charge of the world's problems. :rolleyes:...YET! Now that's a scarey thought. Maybe they issue dirivers liscenses to 8-yr.olds in Britain. Just joking :rolleyes:

Childhood obesity is a growing problem (pardon the pun), and part of it is the amazing access to junk food kids have, including out of the home when their parents aren't around. It's much easier to get hold of fat-laden high calorie food when you go out than it is to get a fresh apple. Seems like there are vending machines for pop & chips at every corner gas station, convenience store, and in front of many shopping stores like Wally world - they're all lined up across the front of the store. "Got milk?" anyone?

I don't know what happened to educating your kids about nutrition, parents seem to have abandoned the idea that you can actually influence your kid's diet. Marketing, marketing, marketing...Maybe if they started to offer a prize with every meal a la McD's, kids would be happy to eat at home?

Pembroke_Corgi
02-28-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't now what happened to educating your kids about nutrition, parents seem to have abandoned the idea that you can actually influence your kid's diet. Marketing, marketing, marketing...Maybe if they started to offer a prize with every meal a la McD's, kids would be happy to eat at home?
The problem is the parents are even fatter than the children in most cases!! How can we expect children to stay fit when 2/3 of adults are overweight or obese?? We ALL need to eat better and exercise more. It's everyone's problem- and I think parents need to set better examples as well as monitor their child's food and activity.

Grace
02-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I saw some news coverage of this kid. Did you see the plate that his mother served him? Not one piece of green - it was all brown and white and swimming in gravy. No wonder he's morbidly obese.

Charles, at least, has a suggestion, a starting place. That kids mother seems to think it's perfectly fine to serve her kid food loaded with calories, carbs and fat.

Marigold2
02-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I think what the Prince did was a good start. It gets people thinking. If parents don't go to MCD maybe they will do something healthier. I believe part of the problem is TV and video games. Kids used to go out and play, running, playing freeze tag, playing on the swings, going sledding, playing baseball, football. Now they sit in front of the TV and eat, the only thing moving is their mouth and thumbs. The schools really need to change their menu, school menus are awful. And how about an hour of PT, whats wrong with making track a must in school?

sparks19
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
never mind school menus.... what happened to packing a lunch?

And didn't ya hear.... Tag is a game of exclusion and violence :rolleyes: How can a school ban TAG? It's sad. NOT that I am blaming schools what so ever for the obesity problem in kids. I remember going for bike rides with my parents as a family.... I can't remember the last time I saw parents going for a bike ride with their kids.

Puckstop31
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
The problem is the parents are even fatter than the children in most cases!! How can we expect children to stay fit when 2/3 of adults are overweight or obese?? We ALL need to eat better and exercise more. It's everyone's problem- and I think parents need to set better examples as well as monitor their child's food and activity.

Look at that! We agree on something. :D

Children are their PARENTS responsibility. Period.

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
never mind school menus.... what happened to packing a lunch?

And didn't ya hear.... Tag is a game of exclusion and violence :rolleyes: How can a school ban TAG? It's sad. NOT that I am blaming schools what so ever for the obesity problem in kids. I remember going for bike rides with my parents as a family.... I can't remember the last time I saw parents going for a bike ride with their kids.

We go for bike rides all the time...as do many families in our neighborhood.

Puckstop31
02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
That kids mother seems to think it's perfectly fine to serve her kid food loaded with calories, carbs and fat.

Pray we never have socialized medicine in the US. If we do, WE have to pay for this kids heart disease when he is 30, because of his own stupid choices.

Personal responsibility.... PERSONAL being key.

:)

sparks19
02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
We go for bike rides all the time...as do many families in our neighborhood.

GOOD :D I love that. that was always one of my favourite things to do as a kid. go for a bike ride with my family. We always had so much fun. I never see that around here :(

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Well you'll have to change that when you have your baby :D

Miss Z
02-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm not Prince Charles's biggest fan, but I think at least he's thinking about ways to combat the situation. McDs, Burger Kings, and all the other greasebowls are popping up everywhere in the UK. I live almost on the borderline of farmland countryside, and it would take me about 10-15 mins to walk to the nearest fast food 'restaurant'. No need for any driving there.

We need to drastically reduce the amount of processed food available in supermarkets more than anything else, because it's just too convenient for people's own good. Burgers that are ready in less than two minutes are a god-send for mothers working full time and are tired, and it's what the kids will happily eat. This becomes routine and that's where the problems lie. I think a complete change of lifestyle is in order for obese families, not necessarily just the food they eat.

The schools really need to change their menu, school menus are awful.

Hehe, yes, well they used to be. After Jamie Oliver's campaign that was a massive success throughout the UK, school meals have become so much more varied and healthier, or at least most have. That is the sort of action that needs to be taken! :)

sparks19
02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Well you'll have to change that when you have your baby :D

LOL I will :D Although.... I will have to get a new bike since every bike I own gets stolen LOL.... I need to invest in better locks lol.

Miss Z
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I saw some news coverage of this kid. Did you see the plate that his mother served him? Not one piece of green - it was all brown and white and swimming in gravy. No wonder he's morbidly obese.

I agree, it was revolting. It seems the whole family had some serious issues, a lack of a father and the mother had some sort of depression. Some days she would never get out of bed or bother sending the boy to school. Now, if they don't need counselling, no-one does.

Pray we never have socialized medicine in the US. If we do, WE have to pay for this kids heart disease when he is 30, because of his own stupid choices.

Personal responsibility.... PERSONAL being key.

:)

I hope he goes private! :p

mike001
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't know if Prince Charles was that misguided. Out here there's talk of raising the tax for anyone eating at a fast food junk outlet and it's a start. If people are forced to dish out double the tax on the food they might consider it cheaper to eat at a healthier place.

Freedom
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
I jsst read the link in Pam's post - the first in this thread. The NZ report is QUITE different from the report in our newspaper here in RI, USA.

OUR report ALSO says that Prince Charles MADE this comment while at a presentation at the London College Diabetes Center in Abu Dhabi, and that Saudi Arabia has the SECOND HIGHEST incidence of diabetes world wide. (The report does not say who is first, but I am betting on USA). And his comment about banning McDonald's was NOT made in reference to the obese 8 year old, but in reference to the high incidence of diabetes.

Having been through diabetes education classes with my Dad three times, I gotta tell ya, what Prince Charles said is repeated many, many times in diabetes education. We took it at three DIFFERENT medical institutions, the instructors were all different; but of course, all taught by the same central national diabatese educators' organization.
Sandra

Pam
02-28-2007, 02:38 PM
My apologies if anyone thought I was being rude to Prince Charles. I just found his suggestion to not be addressing the problem at all. To ban McDonalds because of obesity would be like taking sugar off the shelves of supermarkets because of the increase in diabetes (which, by the way, goes hand in hand with obesity). The key is education, as others have said, and personal responsibility.

I just do not see why that child was not taken away from his mom at least for a time. There was a little girl recently in the news (maybe a year ago) with the same sort of problem only I believe she was younger (maybe age 3). She was temporarily removed from her home and her food was monitored although it did not help her. With controlled feeding her weight continued to rise so it was ruled some sort of medical condition. I think that boy should be given at least the same chance to be evaluated temporarily away from his mother. It could save his life. I just envision him becoming one of those 1,000 lb. people we often see on Discovery Health who are homebound and eating themselves into an early grave.

CathyBogart
02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Children are their parents' responsibility, not anyone else's. I like to treat myself to a package of fatty, fried, salty McD's fries on occasion, I don't want that option taken away from me because some incomptent people refuse to do what's best for their own offspring. :mad:

carole
02-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Trust the kiwi reporter to get his facts wrong eh lol.

Firstly i think even if his suggestion is a good one, i cannot see it really working, there is much more out there than just mcdonalds, let's face it, you would have to ban all fast foods really to achieve any results worthwhile.

There was talk of putting a fast food tax here too, but it never eventuated, personally i think it would only make a very few people think ,cigarettes have always had tax on them here and they keep increasing it, but people continue to smoke, honestly i am not a big fast food eater, but if i wanted mcdonalds, no food tax would stop me .People just accept what they have no power to change, we never had gst tax on our goods, but that has been in place for years now, and we can do nothing about it, we still continue to buy goods regardless. I think people will still continue buying fast foods, they just realise that they will pay a bit more, so what.

Yes children are indeed their parents responsibility, but sadly not all parents are just that responsible, that is why we as a society have to interfer sometimes,it's a fact the bad ones always spoil it for the good ones, in general in most things in life, and therefore we all end up paying the price, if we did not interfer, then those children, who become adults do infact become a burden on society, i refer to obesity here, as then the tax payer, at least in my country end up footing the bill,for say health care etc etc.

Argranade
02-28-2007, 03:46 PM
No they can't ban McDonalds,

I have not been there in a while but there fries n nuggest are soo .. good lol.

Kalei
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
My parents use to go for bike rides with me a long time ago, now it woiuld be a miracle for them to get on a bike.

Marigold2
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
These parents have to be dumber then dirt. I worked full time and raised three kids. I never took my kids to a fast food resturant. How long does it take to grab and apple, orange, pear, or grapes and eat that while someone makes dinner? How long does a salad take to make? Pop in a couple of potatoes in the microwave, open a couple of cans of veggies, and add some turkey or fish. It takes about 30 minutes to put dinners on the table. In that time the kids can pick out their cloths for the next day, start their homework, feed the pets, do some chores. 30 minutes for a good and proper dinner. These people are just dumb and lazy.

wombat2u2004
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
PAM Wrote : ""My apologies if anyone thought I was being rude to Prince Charles""

His ears are flapping in anger !!!!!

Puckstop31
02-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Listen too all you suckers in this thread who will let our governments, again, tell us what is best for us.

If people are too stupid to make to make the proper choices for themselves or their families, it is their problem.

Personal Responsibility. Does anybody have it any more? I guess it is easier to blame it on government.

:rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Listen too all you suckers in this thread who will let our governments, again, tell us what is best for us.

If people are too stupid to make to make the proper choices for themselves or their families, it is their problem.

Personal Responsibility. Does anybody have it any more? I guess it is easier to blame it on government.
The majority doesn't have it any more. Along with common sense. It used to be the majority. Sadly now, it's the minority. I guess the sheeple love being told what to do so they don't have to think for themselves.

carole
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
I think you miss the point that infact, it is not always just their problem, it becomes a problem for society in general, well i can only speak for my own country, obese people will infact cost my country and the taxpayers in the long run, if something is not done about it.

We can all be the ostrich, but sometimes you have to become involved or go along with the government's policy in order to rectify a problem that yes was not of your own doing.

Rachel
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Surely there has to be someone, somewhere who can come up with nutricious food that is low in fat and still tasty. Someone who can figure out a way to prepare and serve this type of product at a reasonable cost. When they do, I for one will beat a path to their door.

wombat2u2004
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Well old mate, it's fine for you to sit there in judgement....but just exactly who makes the rules ???? YOU ??? I think not. You're just the same as everyone else in this world, you sit there and whinge how tough you got it.
You don't like your goverment ??? Then change things.
So far I have seen naught but good posts on this thread, so before you go calling anyone a sucker....go take a look in the mirror, and catch a glimpse of a real one.
Wombat

Puckstop31
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
well i can only speak for my own country, obese people will infact cost my country and the taxpayers in the long run, if something is not done about it.

Because you taxpayers were stupid enought to vote for "free" health care.

You reap what you sow.

We can all be the ostrich, but sometimes you have to become involved or go along with the government's policy in order to rectify a problem that yes was not of your own doing.

On the contrary, I am not burying my head about this. Listen to yourself...

"go along with the government's policy in order to rectify a problem that yes was not of your own doing."

Are you that naive to think that your government gives a damn about you?

SUCKER.

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Please stop the name calling, its very immature. Your wife's opinions differ from mine but she is always very civil.

Puckstop31
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Well old mate, it's fine for you to sit there in judgement....but just exactly who makes the rules ???? YOU ??? I think not. You're just the same as everyone else in this world, you sit there and whinge how tough you got it.
You don't like your goverment ??? Then change things.
So far I have seen naught but good posts on this thread, so before you go calling anyone a sucker....go take a look in the mirror, and catch a glimpse of a real one.
Wombat

I never said I make the rules. Show me where I said that. How tough I got it? Where did I say that? My life is great. Why? Because I have worked and saved and I own my own life. I have a well over 6 figure savings plan for my families retirement ON MY OWN. I am only 32 years old. I want NOTHING from our government.

I would love to change things about my government, but to many people like you are unwilling to be responsible for yourselves.

On the contrary my dear... I am certainly not the sucker. Wanna know why? I can take care of myself and my family with or without a government controlling me.

Lets see how YOU fare with no government services.

Keep sucking that government nipple... They really "care" about you.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Because you taxpayers were stupid enought to vote for "free" health care.

You reap what you sow.
Actually, the US spends more on health care than any other nation in the world. How do you think it's paid for? Taxpayers.

Did you know that benefits actually account for approximately 40% of a person's earnings? That is money spent IN ADDITION to health premiums, which have risen an average of 10% each year. Why do you think that is?

I think we could learn a lot from those "stupid" countries.

Puckstop31
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Please stop the name calling, its very immature. Your wife's opinions differ from mine but she is always very civil.

Sorry, but I call it like I see it. If you cannot handle it, tough. I already know I am not changing any minds here. You can hide behind your PC "everybody loves puppies and the world is grand BS" all you want.

I deal in the REAL world.

Call it a curse... But I have seen the world and I am well aware of what TRUTH is.

There is hope though... John 3:16

wombat2u2004
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I never said I make the rules. Show me where I said that. How tough I got it? Where did I say that? My life is great. Why? Because I have worked and saved and I own my own life. I have a well over 6 figure savings plan for my families retirement ON MY OWN. I am only 32 years old. I want NOTHING from our government. So suck on that government tit, sucker.

I would love to change things about my government, but to many people like you are unwilling to be responsible for yourselves.

On the contrary my dear... I am certainly not the sucker. Wanna know why? I can take care of myself and my family with or without a government controlling me.

Lets see how YOU fare with no government services.

Keep sucking that government nipple... They really "care" about you.

WOW....Captain America does exist !!!!

wombat2u2004
02-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Sorry, but I call it like I see it. If you cannot handle it, tough. I already know I am not changing any minds here. You can hide behind your PC "everybody loves puppies and the world is grand BS" all you want.

Call it a curse... But I have seen the world and I am well aware of what TRUTH is.

Well Rambo, we'll all hide behind our PC's with our puppies, and let you save the world.
Wombat

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
It has to be a full moon tonight.

CathyBogart
02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Muahaha. :p

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM

:D

AbbyMom
02-28-2007, 10:36 PM

~Snicker

Pam
03-01-2007, 04:11 AM

I don't know how or why this thread turned into an argument but I am totally aghast that you would use scripture in the midst of your heated posts. I am a Christian and find John 3:16 to be probably the most precious verse in the Bible. The tone in your post is coming across as nasty and is inconsistent with the Jesus that I know who spoke those words.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Do you want PT closed down or what??? Why does everything have to turn into a row - what is wrong with you people??

Agree to disagree - let people voice their opinions and stop the stupid name calling and ruining the site for others!!!! :mad: Alternatively, set up your own - www.pointlessarguing.com is available

wombat2u2004
03-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Do you want PT closed down or what??? Why does everything have to turn into a row - what is wrong with you people??

Agree to disagree - let people voice their opinions and stop the stupid name calling and ruining the site for others!!!! :mad: Alternatively, set up your own - www.pointlessarguing.com is available

Sorry BM.
Wom

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 06:38 AM
I don't know how or why this thread turned into an argument but I am totally aghast that you would use scripture in the midst of your heated posts. I am a Christian and find John 3:16 to be probably the most precious verse in the Bible. The tone in your post is coming across as nasty and is inconsistent with the Jesus that I know who spoke those words.

Even Jesus got angry from time to time. Our Lord is not a wimp and when things needed to be said, He said them.

See, I am a sinner, I know that. Curse my human flesh for being emotional.

I pray consistently for the Lord to help me be less emotional about things.

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
I think it is funny that calling someone a "sucker" is name calling. (yeah, I got PM bombed about it....LOL)

No wonder kinds can't function in the world today. Everybody gets babied these days...

Please do not take this to be that I am mean, uncompassionate or unloving. I simply deal in reality and not some BS "Politically Correct" way. All PC does is make us keep our mouths shut, it never changes hearts.

Thanks for the fun "debate".

So long....SUCK.... errrr....ya'll. ;)

sparks19
03-01-2007, 08:18 AM
To be honest.... I am surprised people are getting so up in arms about the word "suckers" for I have seen FAR worse mudslinging coming from many of the people getting the most upset about it. but that is neither here nor there.

I say we go with Bill Engvalls idea and start giving stupid people signs so we know not to sell them anything. I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's stupidity and it should not be up to the government to decide what I can and cannot eat. So lets gather up all the people that can't control themselves .... give them signs.... and then we won't sell them anything. OH but then that would be discrimination and that would be a whole new thread "McDonalds stops serving people because they are overweight" Then we will all be screaming about the injustices of the world and how we should be free to choose. it's a vicious never ending cycle. We are just never happy. BUT I can guarantee that if the government takes away my burgers right NOW... they will have to deal with a severly hormonal pregnant woman who can't satisfy her burger King Whopper cravings.... and no one wants that.

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Did you know that benefits actually account for approximately 40% of a person's earnings? That is money spent IN ADDITION to health premiums, which have risen an average of 10% each year. Why do you think that is?

1.) Out of control lawyers.

2.) The extremely high quality of health care availble here.

3.) An ignorant public who does not "shop around" for medication. Why bother looking for the best price when all we pay is a $10 co-pay? I wonder how much could be saved by simply shopping around for medications? Yeah, it might not save you much, but it would save the insurance companies some, which in turn might allow lower premiums. Yes, that is naive perhaps... But it is something.

My wife, who is pregnant, does not have medical insurance. (Don't worry, I can cover it....) I could not beleive it when her pre-natal vitamins were $150!!!!! I later found out I could get them for less than 1/2 of that someplace else...

I think we could learn a lot from those "stupid" countries.

Indeed... To not be like them....

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Well Rambo, we'll all hide behind our PC's with our puppies, and let you save the world.
Wombat

LOL

PC as in "Politically Correct" ;)

Maresche
03-01-2007, 08:39 AM
BUT I can guarantee that if the government takes away my burgers right NOW... they will have to deal with a severly hormonal pregnant woman who can't satisfy her burger King Whopper cravings.... and no one wants that.

That is just hysterical. Plain and simple.

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 08:41 AM
1.) Out of control lawyers.

2.) The extremely high quality of health care availble here.

3.) An ignorant public who does not "shop around" for medication. Why bother looking for the best price when all we pay is a $10 co-pay? I wonder how much could be saved by simply shopping around for medications? Yeah, it might not save you much, but it would save the insurance companies some, which in turn might allow lower premiums. Yes, that is naive perhaps... But it is something.

My wife, who is pregnant, does not have medical insurance. (Don't worry, I can cover it....) I could not beleive it when her pre-natal vitamins were $150!!!!! I later found out I could get them for less than 1/2 of that someplace else...

Indeed... To not be like them....

You think 150.00 is high...god forbid she needs a csection...it would be hundreds of thousands...I just can't imagine being pregnant without insurance...how scary.

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 08:42 AM
BUT I can guarantee that if the government takes away my burgers right NOW... they will have to deal with a severly hormonal pregnant woman who can't satisfy her burger King Whopper cravings.... and no one wants that.

Can I get an "AMEN" from the congregation!?!?!?!?! :D

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
You think 150.00 is high...god forbid she needs a csection...it would be hundreds of thousands...I just can't imagine being pregnant without insurance...how scary.

Hundreds of THOUSANDS?

I;ve got it in writing from the hospital that is going to deliver tour baby.... If a C-section is necessary it will "only" cost $3000 plus a max for $1,500 the anastesia.

I am sure there will be a few more costs involved, but I can handle it. I am fortunate to have some savings to use.

It is only scary if you don't know how to shop around for health care. In a way, it is really nice not having an insurance company tell us what we can or cannot do.

As usual, it all comes back to being able to take care of yourself.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Even Jesus got angry from time to time. Our Lord is not a wimp and when things needed to be said, He said them.

See, I am a sinner, I know that. Curse my human flesh for being emotional.

I pray consistently for the Lord to help me be less emotional about things.

I bet he did things with a lot more dignity and restraint than is shown here at times

Pam
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Hundreds of THOUSANDS?

I;ve got it in writing from the hospital that is going to deliver tour baby.... If a C-section is necessary it will "only" cost $3000 plus a max for $1,500 the anastesia.

I am sure there will be a few more costs involved, but I can handle it. I am fortunate to have some savings to use.

It is only scary if you don't know how to shop around for health care. In a way, it is really nice not having an insurance company tell us what we can or cannot do.

It is none of my business as to why your wife doesn't have insurance but I find that puzzling and even more puzzling why she would become pregnant being uninsured.

I can't believe you were quoted such a price. There will be charges from the hospital, the doctor, the anesthesiologist and also the nursery. God forbid if anything out of the norm should occur there will be charges on top of that. My grandson had medical issues at birth and was seen by two specialists. Their fees alone were over what you quoted.

When I myself was in the ER for a fractured elbow years ago the fees for that (x-rays, etc) approached what you are quoting for your wife's hospital bills. Thank God I had insurance and only paid $50. Like it or not, that is the way the system works.

Edit: My grandson also had a longer than normal hospital stay and much of it was spent in the NICU .... additional unexpected bills.

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I have savings also...but fortuntately I have medical insurance so I can save for things like college for the kids. It just doesn't make sense not to have insurance considering the way our health care system works. Years ago I knew someone who had no insurance and had to pay 30,000 for a delivery, this was 25 years ago.

Daisy and Delilah
03-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Hundreds of THOUSANDS?

WOW!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: It seems I need to move to where you are. Maybe all of us should consider it.

These figures are rather hard to believe to tell you the truth. I had knee surgery last year. Only arthroscopic. I was at the hospital for 4 hours as an outpatient and the charge was almost $20,000. That was just for the hospital. I don't have enough room here to list all the other charges. Bottom line....with my insurance, I ended up forking over almost $10,000 out of pocket.

We don't have much of an option for "shopping around for health care" here in Florida(I can't speak for other areas). We take what we can get and go with it. The only shopping around I can do is the option to call another doctor. The other doctor will have the same charges as the first one I'd talked to.

In all due respect, not trying to argue....after reading about the threads about socialized medicine in Canada, what you're telling us makes me believe it's not so bad??

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2007, 09:15 AM

The majority of us are here because of our love of animals. If you want us to respect what you have to say I suggest you treat us with a bit less disdain

Maresche
03-01-2007, 09:16 AM

That's about what we paid for Mimi's delivery in 3/05, but that was AFTER our insurance had covered what they were going to cover and we have pretty good insurance.

sparks19
03-01-2007, 09:18 AM
It is none of my business as to why your wife doesn't have insurance but I find that puzzling and even more puzzling why she would become pregnant being uninsured.

I can't believe you were quoted such a price. There will be charges from the hospital, the doctor, the anesthesiologist and also the nursery. God forbid if anything out of the norm should occur there will be charges on top of that. My grandson had medical issues at birth and was seen by two specialists. Their fees alone were over what you quoted.

When I myself was in the ER for a fractured elbow years ago the fees for that (x-rays, etc) approached what you are quoting for your wife's hospital bills. Thank God I had insurance and only paid $50. Like it or not, that is the way the system works.

Edit: My grandson also had a longer than normal hospital stay and much of it was spent in the NICU .... additional unexpected bills.

Because I am not eligable for health insurance here ... YET. Of course.... I could get it illegally like some... but I won't. And why would I become pregnant???? well sometimes things happen and women and their husbands get pregnant. I will NOT EVER look at this pregnancy as a mistake.... it is a miracle and a wonderful thing.... we are stable enough to handle the hospital bills so don't worry.... you will not have to foot our bill. If we were really concerned about the cost I would move back to Canada for our "free" health care.... but I do not wish to do that and would rather foot the bill ourselves.

Anyway as difficult as it may be to believe the price we were quoted.... that's what you get when you shop around. The Dr we are using is a wonderful man and he does a lot of pro bono work for non profit organizations as well. In fact, our ultra sounds are through a non profit (donations only) organization that he works with... we will OF COURSE be giving a donation for all of their time. So be shocked.... be appalled at the prices you paid.... but when you shop around you can find Dr's that don't charge an arm and a leg... but please don't call us liars as we are anything but that. You can call us a lot of things.... but dishonest is NOT one of them. Actually the C section price is $2800.... plus $1500 for any anesthetic. If something happens and we need an extended stay... we are prepared to cover those costs. Not only have we ourselves saved.... but we have a wonderful support system in our parents who are more than happy to help us out IF we need it.... of course we wll NOT be enlisting their help unless we are in dire straits. We aren't pulling these figures out of the air.... we have had extensive talks with the Dr about cost's. This IS the cost without insurance... as they KNOW I do not have insurance.

We aren't stupid.... do you not think we have thought about all the "what if's" that you are all bringing to our attention? We aren't flying by the seat of our pants here. We have thought through all of the possibilities.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
What has any of this got to do with Prince Charles and McDonalds?

CathyBogart
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Guys, there is an ignore function for a reason - use it. :D Tempers are too high here lately to let some rude name-calling person ruin it for everyone.

sparks19
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Guys, there is an ignore function for a reason - use it. :D Tempers are too high here lately to let some rude name-calling person ruin it for everyone.

There is nothing bad going on now. We seem to be back to regular discussion so perhaps we should all stop drawing attention to yesterdays activities and move on with the discussion flow today. Although I really don't see the big issue. I mean the legitimacy of my pregnancy is being questioned but I'm not getting all up in arms about it lol.... and I think that's saying a lot considering how hormonal us preggo's CAN be.

And besides, passive aggressive behaviour is not better than flat out saying how you feel.

BTW, Maresche.... you might think it's funny now but wait until I can't get my burgers hahaha then you will be running for cover and ear plugs :p

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Sparks, Nobody is questioning your pregnancy. I would never do that in a millions years, we were just talking about health insurance. I am excited about your pregnancy, I have always enjoyed you even though we banter sometimes :D I will be the babies liberal aunti or something ;)

sparks19
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Sparks, Nobody is questioning your pregnancy. I would never do that in a millions years, we were just talking about health insurance. I am excited about your pregnancy, I have always enjoyed you even though we banter sometimes :D I will be the babies liberal aunti or something ;)

LOL I didn't mean you :p Personally I enjoy our repetoire and if that went missing I would worry that something was wrong lol.

Pam
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I mean the legitimacy of my pregnancy is being questioned but I'm not getting all up in arms about it lol.... p

The legitimacy of your pregnancy was never questioned. It was perhaps just a question of the wisdom of becoming pregnant with no insurance. It is certainly something I would have never considered for myself but we are all different. You are right. Happily, I will not be paying your bills. :)

Brody's Mom, you are right. This thread has strayed a long way from Prince Charles and McDonalds. :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM

Thank you Pam. I saw this and was appalled that such a hate-filled rant could then quote the Bible! People like this give religion a bad name. I am not a Christian so didn't feel I should respond but I thought the Bible talked about helping the poor, taking care of others, compassion, etc?

It is sad really.....

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
By the way this thread is making me crave a double cheeseburger and fries :p

Pawsitive Thinking
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM

I had one for lunch :D Is that treason?

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I had one for lunch :D Is that treason?

Gosh I am going to have to do that...its 8:30 am but maybe later :D

sparks19
03-01-2007, 11:03 AM

LOL If I didn't feel so sick to my stomach right now I would be right there with that craving. But Alas.... I am stuck eating dry cheerios... less than delicious let me tell ya. lol BTW, BK makes lunch stuff during breakfast hours.... unlike McDonalds... jerks lol

Pam, Legitimacy was the wrong word but with my preggo brain my vocab is limited lol. Anyway, "accidents" happen. I hate saying that because I do not ever want to consider my pregnancy an accident... more of a ... Surprise :D It was not planned but it happened... there is certainly nothing I can do to stop it now... nor would I want to stop such a miracle due to something as frivilous as MONEY.

ES, LOL you make me laugh. YOU are the last person to be talking about the way others present themselves. In case you have forgotten, I have had to remind you more than once to not speak to people like they are brain dead. But no one holds that against you, they forgive and forget.

As for the bible and giving religion a bad name. that is what seperates us from God. We are not perfect. We are emotional and often make snap decisions and say things based on our emotions and our passion.... that is part of being human. You can be compassionate and still have moments where you say things that come across as "mean- spirited". All you can do is ask God for forgiveness and to give us strength and courage to change. But we are humans... we screw up.... everyone says things they don't mean... even the "perfect" religious people have their moments. To err is human... to forgive divine.

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Hopefully in a few more weeks you will be over the nausea, it is usually the worst in the first trimester.

Those accidents always end up being the best kids......

sparks19
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Hopefully in a few more weeks you will be over the nausea, it is usually the worst in the first trimester.

Those accidents always end up being the best kids......

LOL that's what people keep telling me. it did stop for about two weeks.... now it is back. GRRRR

I figure the kid cant put me through much more suffering once it is born than it is now.... LOL but ask me that again in 9 months HAHAHA or 18 years.

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I bet he did things with a lot more dignity and restraint than is shown here at times

I am sure He did. However, I am NOT Jesus. I am a imperfect human being, doing my best to live my life the best I can.

Catty1
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't eat at McDonald's because I don't like the food and grease and globalism.

I prefer to make my own burgers or support a local restaurant that makes really good ones!

Come up to Cochrane and we'll go a-burgering...not all in one day, though! :)

BTW - the thought has been expressed elsewhere that, just as people who seem to be drunk should be refused service in bars, etc, obese people should be refused service at restaurants (except for healthier foods).

"I'm sorry sir/ma'am - according to house regulations, I can serve you a salad with that, not fries."

Wonder how THAT would work??? LOL

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2007, 11:38 AM
In case you have forgotten, I have had to remind you more than once to not speak to people like they are brain dead. But no one holds that against you, they forgive and forget.

I only do that when the person acts like it...

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Thank you Pam. I saw this and was appalled that such a hate-filled rant could then quote the Bible! People like this give religion a bad name. I am not a Christian so didn't feel I should respond but I thought the Bible talked about helping the poor, taking care of others, compassion, etc?

It is sad really.....

HATE filled? Hate? You think anything I posted in this thread was done out of hatred?

You must not understand what the word hate means. That, or you do PR spin for a living.

I speak my mind and I speak the truth. Often, the truth is difficult to hear but it never has anything to hide.

I shared the verse to show that no matter how insane our world is/becomes, there is ALWAYS hope. What is hateful about that? I offered that line as a olive branch, funny how so many people were offended by it.

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM

What is most telling here...

Nobody wants to question the substance of what I say, only in the manner which I deliver it.

Hmmmm.....

Pembroke_Corgi
03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
What is most telling here...

Nobody wants to question the substance of what I say, only in the manner which I deliver it.

Hmmmm.....
I certainly question the "substance" of your "arguments." But, as you consistently rely on nonsense and illogical premises, I have decided you are not worth arguing with. I might be more interested if once, you used a single fact to support your claims.

Marigold2
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok I have read everyones post and being the slightly twisted person I am, have this running through my mind. Picture this.

I get a job at MDonald's. I am working the drive through. A woman drives up about 50 lbs overweight and orders a meal. I tell her "hey fatty you sure you want fries to go with that, looks like you have had all the fries you need"? Ha ha ha I love the look on her face. Next person comes up. A balding guy with a hurried look on his face and a flabby gut. I tell him to bug off and exercise during his lunch hour. Next up soccer mom with her three bratty kids, I tell her I will report her to child welfare for poisening her kid with this junk. What a great daydream. Wouldn't it be great to be able to do that, just once, you know you want to?

Thank God we can't. This is still America and that means people can be stupid, mean, fat, smoke, and there really isn't much we can do about it. Well now that I have said my peace I am opening my fridge for some Chunky Monkey. The bottom line is that we are all responsible for our own weight and health.

caseysmom
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow....

sparks19
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM

AH but what seems stupid to you does not seem stupid to another... therefore you are no better than what you are arguing against here. Just because YOU don't agree with it doesn't make it stupid.

"If it is stupid and works.... than it is not stupid" ;)

Catty1, you want to see grease. Anyone ever visit a Fast Eddie's? I worked at one briefly. You would be appalled. They grill their burgers, flip them and then stack them ina drawer.... that drawer does not get emptied until the end of the day... by that time there is 6-8 inches of grease and you have to reach into the grease to get a burger out. So not only are burgers just greasy they SOAK in their own grease for hours and get pulled out of that grease and slapped onto a bun. BARF. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.... but their burgers are also like .70 cents LOL so I guess you really do get what you pay for.

I do like that idea about refusing service. Hmmm that would be interesting but imagine the uproar that would cause LOL. But I say if people can sue McDonalds because they are overweight than McDonalds can protect themselves by refusing service to those overweight... although that would never happen since that is a major source of their income. They would take a major hit to the pocket book so they would never enforce it.

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I certainly question the "substance" of your "arguments." But, as you consistently rely on nonsense and illogical premises, I have decided you are not worth arguing with. I might be more interested if once, you used a single fact to support your claims.

Sigh.... This whole thread is about an OPINION. This all started with me making a comment about how I think it is scary that people are willing to more and more all the time, allow our governments tell us how to live. Period. So others, in case you were wondering, that is how we got here... LOL

Of course, as is usual in internet forums, we treaded off the beaten path. Which, if nothing else, was fun.

Nonsense and illogical premises eh? We shall see...

I think it's time to pull the pin on this one, but I really look forward to the next one.

Free people having a free exchange of ideas, ain't it grand?

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
But I say if people can sue McDonalds because they are overweight than McDonalds can protect themselves by refusing service to those overweight... although that would never happen since that is a major source of their income. They would take a major hit to the pocket book so they would never enforce it.

AWESOME.

Can you imagine the "mainstream" TV news stories about this one???

And all the lawyers going "CA-CHING!"

Miss Z
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow...and I thought this thread was going to be very interesting to read, what a disappointment.

Puckstop31, your opinion began with rude and unjustified name-calling, and if you honestly didn't believe that you would create any friction whatsoever with your comments then you would have apologised straight away. Yet, you continued to criticise people on this thread.

I agree with Edwina's Secretary a lot, and also, my own personal opinion is that I hate it when people use religion as an excuse for their actions. I, personally, am an atheist, but still have respect for all religions, however I can't stand it when people justify themselves with lines of their choosing from the Bible.

Also, when you stated not to follow 'stupid' countries, I do hope that you weren't talking about the UK? I gathered this as the original topic was based here, and if you weren't I apologise, but please don't label ANY country as stupid. No-one can make you follow another country's example, I'm not a fan of the nanny culture either but I do not go throwing insults about.

Anyway, I think we should let our differences settle and just get back to the original topic.http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

Puckstop31
03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Puckstop31, your opinion began with rude and unjustified name-calling, and if you honestly didn't believe that you would create any friction whatsoever with your comments then you would have apologised straight away. Yet, you continued to criticise people on this thread.

I KNEW it would cause friction. I will never apologize for saying what I believe to be true.

I agree with Edwina's Secretary a lot, and also, my own personal opinion is that I hate it when people use religion as an excuse for their actions. I, personally, am an atheist, but still have respect for all religions, however I can't stand it when people justify themselves with lines of their choosing from the Bible.

I was not using my faith "in defence" of my actions. All I did was offer the Bible verse, John 3:16 as an example that no matter how bad things become, there is always hope. PERIOD. Please do not be mistaken about that.

carole
03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Puckstop31, I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinion, or speaking as what you see the truth, that is what a forum is all about, however there are way's of saying things in my opinion, that can still be the truth but not offensive to other people, would you not agree with me here? Infact i respect your opinion as I do other's, hey i call a spade a spade too, but I try to do it as nice as possible if i can.

You may not see it offensive to call people sucker's and tell them their country is stupid, but to some it is, for me it's water off a duck's back, because every country has it's fault's, and everyone is gullible one way or another , even you.

Maybe you are referring to my country, which you call stupid because we have free health care, hmm well that is your opinion, personally after reading some of the stuff on PT about healthcare problems, i am glad we still have so called free health care,tell me what is so wrong with it,and yes i voted for the government that supports this, but then all our parties do,so no choice there matey.,I choose to have private medical insurance all the same, because yep i don't want to be on a waiting list when i have some serious illness requiring treatment, of course the free health care is not all it's cracked up to be, but for some it is better than nothing at all.

Well if I am indeed naive and a sucker, well i am a happy one at that, i Love my country, my life,and yep my goverment so far is looking after me to my liking.

sparks19
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Just for the record.... no one is using religion to excuse themselves.... no where on this thread has someone used it as an excuse for their behaviour. Bringing up scriptures is not making excuses. Perhaps you should read that particular post again.

Miss Z
03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Just for the record.... no one is using religion to excuse themselves.... no where on this thread has someone used it as an excuse for their behaviour. Bringing up scriptures is not making excuses. Perhaps you should read that particular post again.

On the contrary. Perhaps I cannot phrase myself quite with the expertise of Edwina's Secretary, but being only 15 I'm sure I have a couple more years ahead of me to improve this. As others have quite freely done so, I was expressing my personal opinion and I have no issues with anyone questioning them, it's just what I see. No offence is intended to anyone here from me.

I was just having a re-read through the whole thread, and now having studied it fairly dilligently I'm rather upset by a few comments. It's something I've noticed ever since I've been on PT but seems to be occurring more than ever now for one reason or another.

It is the fact that my country, your country and every other country that members belong to all have different political views and policies. Now I fully comprehend that with this being a primarily American board it is influenced by primarily American views, and most of the time I find it extremely interesting and enlightening to learn about American politics. However, from time to time, it seems these views are splashed about in an attempt to cover the whole world. I know that I'm not the only one who feels this. Of course, I do not expect to be given special treatment purely on the basis that I am part of a minority, and I understand fully that it's healthy to have a variety of views and cultures expressed here. I am just asking for a little more consideration to the fact that there are representatives of more than one country here who may or may not have what you consider to make yourself so great, and may or may not share your fancies in politics.

I think I may make a thread of this too, it's been something that's been bothering me lately.

Marigold2
03-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Ok everyone lets make nice. Miss Z what an excellent post especially for someone so young. Your wisdom surpasses others twice your age. Since today is March 1 and spring is not too far away lets take this tread and make it something nice.

I am a gardener and one of my favorite flowers are yellow and pink roses.
What about the rest of you, what flowers are you looking forward to.??:p
I am looking forward to the Orange Hollyhocks I planted, my seeds are popping up.

1) Orange Hollyhocks

IRescue452
03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
You can get just as fat by cooking your own hamburgers at home everyday. Lets not blame McDonalds for people's weight problems. I live a healthy lifestyle and enjoy McDonalds as a treat. They haven't shoved burgers down my throat yet.

wombat2u2004
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Puckstop31, I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinion, or speaking as what you see the truth, that is what a forum is all about, however there are way's of saying things in my opinion, that can still be the truth but not offensive to other people, would you not agree with me here? Infact i respect your opinion as I do other's, hey i call a spade a spade too, but I try to do it as nice as possible if i can.

You may not see it offensive to call people sucker's and tell them their country is stupid, but to some it is, for me it's water off a duck's back, because every country has it's fault's, and everyone is gullible one way or another , even you.

Maybe you are referring to my country, which you call stupid because we have free health care, hmm well that is your opinion, personally after reading some of the stuff on PT about healthcare problems, i am glad we still have so called free health care,tell me what is so wrong with it,and yes i voted for the government that supports this, but then all our parties do,so no choice there matey.,I choose to have private medical insurance all the same, because yep i don't want to be on a waiting list when i have some serious illness requiring treatment, of course the free health care is not all it's cracked up to be, but for some it is better than nothing at all.

Well if I am indeed naive and a sucker, well i am a happy one at that, i Love my country, my life,and yep my goverment so far is looking after me to my liking.

Go the Kiwis.....good one !!!
Wombat

carole
03-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Now wombat you would not be saying that if we were playing cricket lol, but thank you for your support.

Miss Z i must also add what an intelligent, and well written post you have made, i agree with what you said entirely, and for the most, most people here do respect each other's beliefs, religion,politics,etc,only a minor few don't I think,for one so young you are very clued up, not naive and a sucker like me lol. :) :D.i think maybe the poster has insulted me, but i am too naive too get it eh? lol :D wink,wink,nudge,nudge. ;)

wombat2u2004
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Now wombat you would not be saying that if we were playing cricket lol, but thank you for your support.

Miss Z i must also add what an intelligent, and well written post you have made, i agree with what you said entirely, and for the most, most people here do respect each other's beliefs, religion,politics,etc,only a minor few don't I think,for one so young you are very clued up, not naive and a sucker like me lol. :) :D.i think maybe the poster has insulted me, but i am too naive too get it eh? lol :D wink,wink,nudge,nudge. ;)

Oh that is not true Carole .
In fact most of us Aussies always support the LOSING team....hence the saying "Go the Kiwis"....LOL.
Wombat

sparks19
03-01-2007, 06:30 PM
On the contrary. Perhaps I cannot phrase myself quite with the expertise of Edwina's Secretary, but being only 15 I'm sure I have a couple more years ahead of me to improve this. As others have quite freely done so, I was expressing my personal opinion and I have no issues with anyone questioning them, it's just what I see. No offence is intended to anyone here from me.

I was just having a re-read through the whole thread, and now having studied it fairly dilligently I'm rather upset by a few comments. It's something I've noticed ever since I've been on PT but seems to be occurring more than ever now for one reason or another.

It is the fact that my country, your country and every other country that members belong to all have different political views and policies. Now I fully comprehend that with this being a primarily American board it is influenced by primarily American views, and most of the time I find it extremely interesting and enlightening to learn about American politics. However, from time to time, it seems these views are splashed about in an attempt to cover the whole world. I know that I'm not the only one who feels this. Of course, I do not expect to be given special treatment purely on the basis that I am part of a minority, and I understand fully that it's healthy to have a variety of views and cultures expressed here. I am just asking for a little more consideration to the fact that there are representatives of more than one country here who may or may not have what you consider to make yourself so great, and may or may not share your fancies in politics.

I think I may make a thread of this too, it's been something that's been bothering me lately.

I still don't see where that has anything to do with people using religion as an excuse for their behaviour :D I haven't seen anyone use religion as an excuse for their behaviour in this thread.

for the record.... I am not from the US.... I am from Canada. You know... one of the countries that HAS socialized medicine that puck is referring to. I also dislike our current state of "free" health care. However, I know my husband and I know what he really means when he says things the way he does. I don't expect anyone else to understand him. he is very passionate and emotional.... he gets worked up.... but everyone on this forum is guilty of the same thing at times. I know I have said things in a manner that came across as harsh or rude.... I have also been spoken to by many on this board in a manner that came across as harsh or rude. I, however, don't take personal offense to their comments. I will point out that I do not appreciate their behaviour and attitude towards me but that's it... after that I am done with it. I am not prepared to burn them at the stake and forever scorn them for their emotional responses. I also don't make a production of it throughout the entire thread. I deal with it and move on. Most have moved on.... perhaps the rest of us can do the same.

BUT still no one was using religion as an excuse for their behaviour. :D

carole
03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Oh wombat you are so funny :D :) did you see the black caps win the hadlee trophy by any chance, he he. :) was a great game i believe. :)

slick
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
LOL
I just spent 30 minutes dissecting this thread trying to figure out who is related to who...and who is the baby's Daddy. I almost called in Maury. :D :D

I'll chose Dim Sum over McDonalds any day.

Have a good evening folks, and thanks for the laughs.

wombat2u2004
03-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Oh wombat you are so funny :D :) did you see the black caps win the hadlee trophy by any chance, he he. :) was a great game i believe. :)

The Hadlee trophy ???
But Carole.....don't you know yet that we alllowed you Kiwis to win that ????
You know, us Aussies are smart....we know we can beat anybody at any thing....but if we did....who would bother to play with us ???? LOL
Mate, the winner of that trophy was worked out in the boardroom before the game even began.....true !!!
Wombat

carole
03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey matey,you reckon, whatever, hey i have to concede the Aussies are brilliant at cricket,we are a close second though,hey if i am not backing the kiwis, i am always behind my ozzie friends. guess we have kinda gone off topic here, sorry folks, my fault competely, just thought it was getting kinda heated in here. :)

wombat2u2004
03-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey matey,you reckon, whatever, hey i have to concede the Aussies are brilliant at cricket,we are a close second though,hey if i am not backing the kiwis, i am always behind my ozzie friends. guess we have kinda gone off topic here, sorry folks, my fault competely, just thought it was getting kinda heated in here. :)

Hey Carole.........we cooled down the thread for them. Must have been us waving our cricket bats around...LOL
Wom