PDA

View Full Version : Troy Gentry Sentenced for Killing Bear

Daisy and Delilah
02-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I remember we had this posted in the Dog House when it happened? This is the outcome. I'm deeply saddened that this is all he got. :( Has anyone that listens to country music noticed that their radio station doesn't play much Mongomery-Gentry music anymore? I know mine doesn't. :( :( :(

Singer Gentry Sentenced in Bear Killing

Published: 2/27/07, 11:05 PM EDT

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been sentenced to three months of probation and a $15,000 fine for killing a captive black bear. He also must give up hunting in Minnesota for five years.

Gentry pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor in November. Under a plea deal, he agreed to forfeit the bear and the bow he used during the hunt near Sandstone. The 600-pound bear has been part of a taxidermy display at Gentry's home in Tennessee. He was sentenced Friday.

The bear was killed in October 2004 at the 80-acre Minnesota Wildlife Connection. Owner Lee Marvin Greenly sold the bear for $4,650 and orchestrated the hunt, which Gentry videotaped and edited to make it appear the bear had been killed in a fair chase hunt, according to authorities.

Montgomery Gentry, which includes co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Pam
02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Thank you for the update Terry. I don't think there has been any coverage of this, or very little anyway, in the media. The whole thing is really sickening. I too have noticed very little Montgomery-Gentry songs being played lately. That is fine with me really as they were never a favorite of mine.

borzoimom
02-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Up here, penalities are really stiff from poaching bears. ( gall bladders specifically..). If he were in Virginia- he would not be slapped on the wrist- he would be decked!

Daisy and Delilah
02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
The punishment seems to be a "made up piece of business", if you will. Just a little slap on the wrist to make the public believe that justice has been served. All carefully orchestrated perhaps? Whatever it takes to not upset Mr. Gentry too bad. It's an attempt to make us think he's paying the consequences for this unspeakable deed.

No matter what the purpose or intent was, I see it's affected their stature in the country music business, or, maybe in the music business in general. Maybe not a huge impact but enough to, at least, decrease some of their sales.

Pam, I'm glad you verified that you've noticed a decline in the playing of their music. I'm not even sure what they have released since this incident. I was a huge fan of theirs but I have a very bad taste in my mouth over this. I hope others feel the same. I'm inclined to tell the truth about it. Whenever one of their songs comes on the radio, I cringe. We can only hope that we see more of a decline in their popularity after this sentencing has taken place. :( :( :(

borzoimom: It's a shame this didn't receive the maximum penalty allowed. I have a feeling that he possibly would have been given a lighter sentence no matter where he was. What a slap in the face the whole thing is. $15,000 is pocket change to him. :( :( :(

CathyBogart
03-01-2007, 01:37 PM
It's not as much as he deserves, but I'm glad he got some punishment. :(

mugsy
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
With as much hunting as there is in MN, it doesn't really surprise me.

As for Montgomery Gentry, I think they are now solo. I don't watch or listen to much country anymore, but, I did see a video with Eddie Montgomery by himself.