PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous treat? Crosspost

wolfsoul
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I have never heard of this treat before, so I don't know if there is a legitamate risk or if it's about as harmful as a piece of kibble. This was posted by a member on one of the Belgian groups though so I thought I'd post it here just incase we have some "inhalers" here.

just got home from the emergency vet. I gave my dogs each a
>"roverolis," a new Snausage treat. My dog Scooter's got stuck in his
>throat. He was trying to cough it back up, but couldn't. I picked
>him up and held him upside down, hoping gravity would help. I stuck
>my finger down his throat several times. I could feel it but
>couldn't get close enough to get under it. He starts vomiting. I
>hold him upside down so he doesn't aspirate on his vomit. He is
>still heaving trying to dislodge it, I'm hitting his back, holding
>him upside down, his tongue starts turning blue. I grab him off the
>counter, grab my purse, jump in my car and race to the vet. I called
>Donna on the way and asked her to call the emergency vet to let them
>know I was bringing in a choking dog. She actually went there and
>notified them. I get there, jump out of the car, run in, they grab
>him, the vet comes running in and says h is entire tongue is blue,
>we have to knock him out now so we can get it out. I said do
>whatever you need to do, I'll pay for it.
>The vet came in and told me that I was very very lucky. She said
>Scooter would have died. She said the only thing that kept him alive
>was that he was so calm during everything.
>She also said that he was the second dog that had come in recently
>that had had this treat get lodged in its throat/windpipe. She said
>Scooter was lucky, the other dog wasn't. Scooter is now in ICU, he's
>getting antibiotics intravenously, and has to spend the night there.
>Hopefully he can come home tomorrow. I almost lost him . . . .
>I rarely buy my dogs this type of treat. Please DON'T PURCHASE
>SNAUSAGES ROVEROLIS BECAUSE THERE IS TOO GREAT A RISK A RISK THAT
>THE TREAT[IT IS SHAPED LIKE A PILLOW] WILL GET LODGED IN A DOG'S
>THROAT/WINDPIPE AND THE DOG WILL DIE FROM LACK OF OXYGEN.
>Please feel free to widely cross post this warning so that other
>lives can be saved.

applesmom
02-27-2007, 10:13 PM
There's always a legitimate risk when we give our dogs treats and toys to chew on. Even milkbones can be dangerous under some circumstances.

It sure doesn't hurt to have a timely reminder towards caution and common sense every now and then.

Daisy and Delilah
02-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for posting. This is scary. I have a question. I've always wondered what you're supposed to do if your dog is choking on something? With humans it's the Heimlech(spelling?)Maneuver but I don't have a clue what to do with dogs. Does anyone know what the best thing is until you can get to the vet? Of course I hope nothing happens but the closest emergency clinic to me is 30 miles away.

.sarah
02-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for posting. This is scary. I have a question. I've always wondered what you're supposed to do if your dog is choking on something? With humans it's the Heimlech(spelling?)Maneuver but I don't have a clue what to do with dogs. Does anyone know what the best thing is until you can get to the vet? Of course I hope nothing happens but the closest emergency clinic to me is 30 miles away.
You would perform the heimlich on a dog as well. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/heimlich-for-your-dog/page1.aspx

Daisy and Delilah
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks Sarah. I have bookmarked that site in case I ever need it.

.sarah
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
No problem. It's a good thing to know. When I worked for a vet, I had her show me how to do it. Next time you're in, your vet may be able to show you. For me it's much easier to have a visual than to read it.

bckrazy
02-28-2007, 12:10 AM
That is scarrrry! Thank GOD she acted so quickly and they were able to save the poor pup. =(

....I wouldn't feed Snausages, in any case.

pitc9
02-28-2007, 07:03 AM
I've bought those treats several times for my pups.

Thanks for the info!

Freedom
02-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Terry - and others - the Red Coss offers Pet First Aid courses. No that I have a full house, I've been thinking I should take th class. It is just like their humanfirst aid and CPR classes - low cost and a good thing to be aware of.

lute
02-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank God that dog made it ok. I never buy those treats for my dogs. Just because of the choking hazard...that and it's junk food for dogs.

Daisy and Delilah
02-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks again Sarah and thanks, Sandra. I think it's a great idea to have "hands on" experience with this. I always get scared thinking one of the girls might choke and I'll be of no help at all when it happens. Even though I watch them closely, anything could happen in a heartbeat. They have such tiny throats. I'm so glad this thread was started to raise awareness.

PJ's Mom
02-28-2007, 09:14 AM
There's always a legitimate risk when we give our dogs treats and toys to chew on. Even milkbones can be dangerous under some circumstances.

Exactly my thoughts. While cases like this are scary and sad, whenever I give my dogs ANY kind of treat they are supervised and if I feel they are gulping the treats, or not chewing them properly, (posing a choking risk) they don't get any more. The only treat my dogs have ever had a problem with was some chicken jerky I gave them. Peej has old man teeth and couldn't chew it well enough. He choked on a piece, and I had to dig it out of his throat. I will never give him that kind of treat again, but I wont tell other people not to feed them to their dogs.

king2005
02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Thats why when I give Bear a treat (which is rare), I make sure its small or I'll break it up, cause then it's harder for her to choak on.

My old dog choaked on a rawhide (I was supervising, as I knew some dogs have issues with them)... it was my luck, he was one of them... I command him to sit & to open, he did so promptly.. Dad held him just incase & I could see it, so I reached in & gently pulled it out.. after he finished gagging & coughing, I commanded him to open again so I could look to see if there was any damage... it was a tender red & I kept an eye on it.. he was ok, but never got that again.

areias
02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Agree with Applesmom...it can happen with anything! Greenies are a prime example.

Although, those treats have been known to give dogs pancreatitis.