PDA

View Full Version : Small update on the kittens *new 3/1*

emilysgk
02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
After some thought and research online I made a decision that so far seems to be the right one. I got some eyedrops (herbal) I discontinued the antibiotic cream after 7 days and little to no improvment had occured. This is not a bacterial infection and thats why the cream was not helping. Instead these drops are. They are supporting the eye and easing the symptoms and allowing it to finally heal. The eyes are rarely ever stuck shut anymore, the swelling has improved majorly as well as the redness and gunk. Cowgirl, who's eye was cloudy is improving the most, simply because hers was worse. The clouding has lessoned so much. Before you could not make much out of her eye, not there is a deffinate pupil and she has less light sensitivity. Same goes for Mama's girl, but she never had as much as her sister. Im happy with this decision and plan to continue this route as long as they keep improving and dont go backwards on the healing. I am really big on overuse of antibiotics with my children, so I dont know why I didnt follow my instincts for my pets as well. As much as they help, they also hurt.

Laura's Babies
02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Lets hope this cures the problem and the babies will make a full recovery! We should all follow our gut feeling, ususally it is right!

Catty1
02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Soooo...pics of cute kitties with big eyes are not far away??? :D

emilysgk
02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Soooo...pics of cute kitties with big eyes are not far away??? :D

I sure hope so!! Cowgirls eye stll looks smallish... Im starting to wonder if its possible that is really is smaller than the other? I have the urge to take pics like now... but im going to give them a couple days or so. I know the flash will probably hurt the eyes right now and I have no well lit area.

catmandu
02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
With All You Are Doing For Those Babies You Are A True Hero To Try To Get Those Kittens On The Right Road To Being Healthy Cats.
We Are Sending Our Prayers That They Can Be Big Healthy Cats.
And That We Can See Thier Photos Soon.
Momma Pet Angels Are Helping Out As Much As They Can.

Medusa
02-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Cowgirl is probably winking at ya. :p I'm glad to hear they're doing better and you seem to be much calmer, too.

Blessings,
Mary

mumpkees
02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Emily:

I missed the beginning thread on your kitty. But from the description update today, I'm wondering if you might be seeing 'feline herpes'? When an eye infection does not totally respond to antibiotic opthalmic meds or responds but upon cessation of meds, returns, it is usually viral and viral is most often feline herpes, especially if a rescue kitty. The best thing I have found is to add l-lysine (an amino acid) to their food. Since you are open to using natural methods for healing, l-lysine falls into this catagory. From 20+ years of caring for feline herpes cats, I know that lysine works! Not instantly, but there will be a marked improvement in a few days. If you are interested in trying it and need dosages, please PM me so we can exchange email addys. /mari

critter crazy
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Emily:

I missed the beginning thread on your kitty. But from the description update today, I'm wondering if you might be seeing 'feline herpes'? When an eye infection does not totally respond to antibiotic opthalmic meds or responds but upon cessation of meds, returns, it is usually viral and viral is most often feline herpes, especially if a rescue kitty. The best thing I have found is to add l-lysine (an amino acid) to their food. Since you are open to using natural methods for healing, l-lysine falls into this catagory. From 20+ years of caring for feline herpes cats, I know that lysine works! Not instantly, but there will be a marked improvement in a few days. If you are interested in trying it and need dosages, please PM me so we can exchange email addys. /mari
My kitties get Lysine once a day, and it does make a huge difference. They had the same probs with their eyes, and there has been a huge improvement.

critter crazy
02-28-2007, 01:27 PM
emilysgk I am very interested in what Herbal Eyedrops you are using?? I would like to try them as well.

emilysgk
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
emilysgk I am very interested in what Herbal Eyedrops you are using?? I would like to try them as well.

After looking at some available online (some costing as much as $45!!) I compared ingrediants with a product available just about anywhere. Its a people product, that I looked up and is safe for pets also. Its made by Similasan. It contains Euphrasia 6x, Hepar Sulphuris 12x, and Belladonna 6x. I dont know a whole lot about herbs but put the concentrations for those who may. I tested it in my own eye to make sure it didnt burn (it dont) It seems to be helping them quite a bit. It makes perfect sense really, to ease the symptoms and give the eye a chance to heal. There are a lot of herbal eye products you can find online specifically for pets also if you rather go that route. This was $8, and by far is the best money spent at this point. I have been giving it probably about every 4-5hrs, not on a specific schedual at this point.

critter crazy
02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
After looking at some available online (some costing as much as $45!!) I compared ingrediants with a product available just about anywhere. Its a people product, that I looked up and is safe for pets also. Its made by Similasan. It contains Euphrasia 6x, Hepar Sulphuris 12x, and Belladonna 6x. I dont know a whole lot about herbs but put the concentrations for those who may. I tested it in my own eye to make sure it didnt burn (it dont) It seems to be helping them quite a bit. It makes perfect sense really, to ease the symptoms and give the eye a chance to heal. There are a lot of herbal eye products you can find online specifically for pets also if you rather go that route. This was $8, and by far is the best money spent at this point. I have been giving it probably about every 4-5hrs, not on a specific schedual at this point.
Thank you so much, i found it online, and yes it does seem to be available everywhere! Awsome, the online site, also has a 1$ off coupon!! he he he!

kimlovescats
02-28-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm glad the herbal drops are helping. You can also use colloidal silver, but it is hard to get cheaply! I also use the L-Lysine ... I just draw some up into the smallest syringe (no needle, of course) and place it right in their mouths. It smells / tastes like molasses. I buy mine from my vet.

rg_girlca
02-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm so glad to hear that the new medication is helping to clear up their eyes.

Poor precious babies.

Thank you for all that you are doing for them. You are truely their guardian Angel.

emilysgk
03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
As of last night Cowgirl has two big eyes!!! The cloudiness is almost completely gone. Hers had been so bad I was getting very concerned, this is right before I got the drops. I never thought her eye would get this clear, I was worried she was going to lose the eye in fact. Mama's girl is still off and on on her healing. Its much better but not quite to Cowgirls place just yet. The virus is probably still running stronger in hers since she got the infectiion after cowgirl. I bet within the next couple days she will be to her sisters point of healing.

Medusa
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm so glad! Any chance of a pic or two or three or four or......

Blessings,
Mary

Catty1
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Two big eyes! Awwww! I look forward to seeing pics, but when their widdle eyes can take the light.

Such good news. Thanks! :)

jennielynn1970
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Careful with the Belladonna. It's also known as deadly nightshade. Women used to use it in the middle ages to dilate their pupils, and it's actually not good in large doses. It was in a migraine holistic med I used, and when I had a bad reaction to it, the ER actually called poison control to check out the ingredients.

emilysgk
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Careful with the Belladonna. It's also known as deadly nightshade. Women used to use it in the middle ages to dilate their pupils, and it's actually not good in large doses. It was in a migraine holistic med I used, and when I had a bad reaction to it, the ER actually called poison control to check out the ingredients.

Thanks for the heads up. Im not really up on all the herbal varieties. I will do some research on the belladonna. Possibly its use topicaly is not equal to oral use? I have already cut back a little on Cowgirl since she is doing well now. Maybe I should cut back on Mama's girl just to be sure... I will go read up on it right now. I will let you all know what/if I learn more about it.

emilysgk
03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I of course found minimal info on it pertaining to pets, but plenty in the use of humans. What it comes down to is its safe in small quantities. Its toxic by nature, but beneficial also. What it contains that is so dangerous is Atropine. So small quantites and you are ok. Although if the babies were to have a reaction I would think it happene by now, I will still cut them back. Instead of every 4-5hrs I will give it 3-4 times a day to be safe. It seems quite widely used. I did find it on a pet site for sale with this description...

Belladonna is derived from the plant, Deadly Nightshade and is a perfect example of how Homeopathy ues poisonous ingredients in minute quantities in order to cure. In its homeopathic form Belladonna is completely safe and non toxic even for young animals and for pregnant or lactating females.Can be used for blood pressure and fevers and complaints associated with hot, red skin.

Also available in liquid, cream and as a demister .

Dosage: administer a few drops by mouth three times daily or as required. Safe for use in pregnancy and lactation. No interactions with conventional medication. Homeopathics are very safe to use, please follow our guidelines however you can not over administer easily.Safe for use in eye area.

It appears it also is used in some cold medicines as it has a pseudoephedrine type of quality.

So its something to be careful with, but can be safe if used properly.