PDA

View Full Version : I need advice...

moosmom
02-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I've been living in my apartment for 4 months now. Since I moved in, there have been 5 (count 'em FIVE) incidences of stumbling upon homeless individuals sleeping in the back hallway of my apartment. I've called the police, notified the management every time. Last night was the last straw.

I came home from work last night at 10 pm to find not only a man sleeping in the back hallway, but another one up on the third floor landing (right outside my apartment). He claims the super let him in (which I highly doubt). I called the police, who came out. By the time they arrived, both men were gone.

I don't feel safe in this place anymore and have told the management numerous times. This morning, the rental agent called me to tell me they have an apartment available that's in another location, which is a secured building. It's available right away. Only problem is, there's a $250 lease transfer fee (I told them I didn't feel I should be responsible for it as this whole situation is not my fault), as well as an increase in rent (from $460/month to $580/month incl. ht/hw). I'd have to give them an additional $120 to up my security deposit. It's available now and alot nicer.

I don't know what to do. The other apt. IS alot nicer and roomier, but the rent is $120 more a month than what I'm paying now. I told the agent I was not going to sign anything till I thought it over. I'm worried that if I take this place, I'll be strapping myself financially.

I've applied for senior housing in a different complex in Vernon that was recommended to me by a BB&B customer. It's based on your income and would be MUCH easier financially for me. Only problem with that is, there's a waiting list. I don't turn 55 till next February.

What do I do??? Do I stay where I am till my lease runs out, hoping that there's a vacancy in the senior housing? Or do I take the secured, more expensive apartment? The tenants at the nicer place have lived there for many years, so the vacancies are few and far between.

I asked the agent if I could live at my current place for another month until I can make arrangements to move. She said that they have 3 other appointments to see this nicer place and holding it is not an option.

I kinda figured out my finances and I MIGHT be able to handle the increase. I'd have to really sit down and crunch the numbers before I make a final decision.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Karen
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the decision needs to be based on this:

Which causes you more stress?

A. Worrying you may find a homeless person sheltering in the building you live now? or

B. Worrying about your finances every day, as when things are too close to the bone, any little crisis becomes a major crisis.

Marigold2
02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow that is a tough one. However in the long run I think your safety is the number one concern. Nothing else really matters if you are hurt. Perhaps you can cut down on some expense to come up with the difference. Is a room mate a possiblity? Someone to share the rent costs? I wish you the best of luck. No one should have to decide between safety and affordablity however millions do.

areias
02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I say...invite them in! Have a party!

LOL sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I think it is definately a personal decision. If you can afford the other place, go for it! If not, get after the managment at your apartment complex...ask for gates, security cameras, a night at least once at night. Call the police out every single time, and the police will get annoyed and maybe talk to management. Or the homeless people might get a clue and find somewhere else to go.

caseysmom
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
I think "might" be able to afford it is just too scary...I think if you call whenever you see folks then they will find someplace else to go.

Karen
02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Another thought/question:

Have the homeless ever theatened anyone? Might you be able to just have a sheet of paper ready with the names and address of any homeless shelters that you could silently hand them?

IRescue452
02-27-2007, 12:07 PM
You pay heat and water seperate in your current apartment? I know that won't come near $120, but its included with the rent in the new place. It sounds like a nicer place and either way you do want to leave the current place. Do you have a local salvation army that you could ask to spot the lease transfer? In WI at least we have very few people who don't qualify for help, so long as we feel that they have enough income to support their expenses and support themselves, we do the one-time help.

CathyBogart
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I say go for the new place. Then again, if I could find a place for $580 a month I'd be all over it in half a hearbeat.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-27-2007, 12:40 PM
It's obviously a highly personal decision, but for me, I have to feel safe and comfortable in my own home. Being home is sort of like a sanctuary for me...if I were in that position, and felt uncomfortable in my current place, I would move if I could afford it, even if I had to cut corners somewhere else.

Catlady711
02-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Not knowing what your normal montly bills are, or what kind of winters you have there I can't say if the higher rent with heat/water included makes good financial sense or not.

I'd say sit down with your heat/water bills and figure your average for at least 2 years and find out if that additional $120 is actually as high as you think.

Where I live winters are cold, and just the savings in the heat bill alone would be enough I'd take it.

Good luck either way.

Cataholic
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I think I would have to be REALLY afraid for my safety before I took on a financial burden that I MIGHT not be able to shoulder. I don't say this without empathy. I have lived in places where homeless people have existed. I don't think I was afraid for my safety by the homeless than I was of the neighbor paying rent next door. You have been in tight money places before, I think I would wait this one out.

Kalei
02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I have to agree with most people...it certainly is a tough decision, and you shouldn't even have to make it. Doesn't the apartment have managers that could kick the homeless out? I guess if I was in that situation, I would first have to know if the homeless have ever hurt anyone or stolen anything or broken into apartments. And then see if there was anyway at all to make them stay away from my apartment. If not, I would definately move...I don't like seeing strangers around my home or car just sitting around (which happens sometimes) its unsafe. I have to feel very comfortable in my home, so I would most likely find a way to come up with that money and move that way you won't have to be scared when you should be at peace in your home.

I hope you can make the right decision that works for you:)

Freedom
02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Gotta figure the finances, if you can afford the new apt or not.

Good point someone said1q

If I couldn't afford it, I'd be looking hard and fast, no way I'd stay in a place where I don't feel safe.

Freedom
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Gotta figure the finances, if you can afford the new apt or not.

Good point someone saidabout considering emergencies. Like you have the cats, consider their ages, if they are young then less likely to need vet care soon; if older, well, things come up fast!

If I couldn't afford it, I'd be looking hard and fast, no way I'd stay in a place where I don't feel safe.

moosmom
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I called my brother and asked his opinion. Bottom line is finances. As it stands right now, I'd be able to live comfortably if I stayed where I am till a vacancy came along at the senior complex. No, none of them have ever threatened me and I do feel bad for them, as it is cold out.

I've decided to wait it out till my lease runs out. I'll just enter through the front door. But I will never EVER rent from this agency again.

I thought about calling the media (like I've told so many others to do) but if I did that, I'd probably never get another rental property again, because of the bad publicity.

Thanks for all your help guys, I do appreciate and value your opinions. :D

caseysmom
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Hopefully when it warms up a bit they move on Donna, I am sure it is disconcerting, threatened or not to have strange men camped out in the back.

carole
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Donna make a list of the pros and cons, and take it from there, it sounds as if you could hang on until the other housing is available, just depends on how far away that is and if the situation gets any worse i guess.

I would say bake the homeless some cookies, but then they will be more keen to stay i guess.

A difficult situation,one i have never been in, so don't feel i can really offer you any sound advice, follow your own instincts, and all i can say, is i sure hope everything turns out for the best for you. Take care and hugs. :)

king2005
02-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I agree with your brother. Don't strap yourself for cash, as you'll feel it right away & will suffer emotionally big time.. but the chances of one of the homless guys even bothering you is unlikely. They usually just want to be left alone & sleep... its the hoodlums you gotta watch out for...

Back in Ottawa there was a homless guy what hung outside our store. We always talked to him & he marked the whole lot as his own... if another homless guy was begging for cash, he would come into our store & call security on him. This homeless guy never ever bothered anyone. He would stand there all day with his hat. If he was spoken to he would talk, but he never begged for money... we usually fed him our left over food at lunch time. he was a cool guy with a sad tale. He was never drunk while at our store, & he was always clean. he couldn't work as one hand was, well a hook (no joke)... his name was Hookie

Sometimes homless people are cool

cassiesmom
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Homeless people tend to bring other problems with them like addictions and communicable diseases. Call your village hall and get the name and number of the department or individual that handles housing. Tell them your problem and ask that they get involved. Keep calling the police, because the wheel that squeaks is the one that gets the oil. Ask for more frequent police presence in the area.

How about this - find the biggest dog you know, record him barking, and play it loudly and often.

king2005
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Homeless people tend to bring other problems with them like addictions and communicable diseases. Call your village hall and get the name and number of the department or individual that handles housing. Tell them your problem and ask that they get involved. Keep calling the police, because the wheel that squeaks is the one that gets the oil. Ask for more frequent police presence in the area.

How about this - find the biggest dog you know, record him barking, and play it loudly and often.

ok that was freaky, I swore I had lost my mind... I read your old last sentance & thought to myself... I don't recall her having a dog named Bear... Then I come back to the page seconds later to reread it & its totally different HAHAHAHA :P

I could record Bear barking & snarling.. its easy to get her to do it without me making any noise... but it might scare the heck out of her poor kitties lol Bear sounds like shes going to KILL me, when I play with her, but its just her Rottie voice
Edit: Chad thought she was attacking me cause of how DEEP her bark & snarling it...

I'll make the recording, then I'll let someone edit it to make it a random loop that can be burned onto a CD.. anyone use it, I don't care, esp if it can help someone out

RedHedd
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I have a similar situation in San Francisco with the homeless. I call the police department at least once a week on a group who camp out in front of my apartment building. They do keep track of how many complaints they get - I guess once they get enough complaints they actually roust them out. Unfortunately for us, the homeless keep coming back. The people in my apartment building are getting to know the police officers pretty well, and they now know us too. The officers always tell me to just keep calling.

I've been in my rent-controlled apartment for almost 30 years and have no plans to move; it's more than that old fear of financial insecurity ;) I really to like my apartment, my neighbors and the neighborhood.

I see you're planning to stay - good for you. Just take it one day at a time and call the police on them every day if you have to.

lizbud
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I have no advice really, but it seems a darn shame that apartment
management can't keep the building from becoming a parking space for
people who don't live there. Charitable thoughts aside, it is not safe to
live like that.