PDA

View Full Version : Which breed for agility trials?

gonzorogers
04-06-2001, 05:05 PM
My husband and I are looking for a dog that would be good for agility training. Can anyone suggest a good breed that is not aggressive?
Thanks

kiska171
04-06-2001, 05:27 PM
Yep i can ... Border collies not only are they good agilities dogs but they are sweet smart cute and loyal! I had one (but i would suggjest gettin a girl i think you might know why) But on animal planet they have a agility show and Border collies are on there alot! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RachelJ
04-07-2001, 09:02 AM
If you're interested in a smaller dog, poodles are exceptional. A recent agility trial I saw had two of the tiniest yorkshire terriers who were aces in agility. They actually flew around the course.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited April 07, 2001).]

AdoreMyDogs
04-07-2001, 09:07 AM
Border collies are alot of dog. You have to be really experienced with handling and behavior to attempt a border collie. They are by far the best in agility no doubt about it. They out-smart and out-run every other breed in agility but they also out-smart the inexperienced handler. If you are very proficent in dog handling, behavior, body signals, then a border collie might work perfect but they are more dog then any breed I can think of. I love border collies, don't get me wrong, but even with all the experience I have with dogs and dog training, I still don't think I know enough about dog psychology to attempt getting a border collie. I have TONS of respect for those people who are proficient with that breed.

It's not a breed to be taken lightly. They must have constant stimulation, excersise, and challanges, otherwise they may be very difficult house dogs. And no matter how much stimulation you give some border collies, there are some that simply can't be house dogs, no matter how much stimulation they recieve. You have to be careful where you get the pup and make sure the parents are comfortable being house dogs, some are bred for working dogs only and just CAN'T be happy as a pet.

So if you do get a border collie, expect it to be an excellent agility dog, but also make sure you are well aware that they are more of a challange then most breeds.

Sudilar
04-07-2001, 09:16 AM
As I observe our agility classes, I also find that Border Collies are excellent at agility. I agree that they are very, very active dogs the rest of the time, too. They need a lot of exercise and work to keep them happy! There are a lot of Goldens in the classes, too. My GSD is a slow-poke at agility. She'd rather go look for me in the crowd and then go back and do the course!
Sue

Karen
04-07-2001, 10:09 AM
Why not go to your local shelter, and check out the dogs there, especially young ones who might have been given up for being "too active" or "too destructive" - that way you rescue a dog that probably has great agility potential, and save a life!

"Too destructive" is practically a code for "smart dog who is bored and understimulated."

ilovehounds
04-07-2001, 11:23 AM
I agree with Karen 100 % any dog can be a good agility dog given the time and training, I have a beagle who loves and is good at agility, she is quick and willing to learn anything I have taught her everything myself we just do it for fun and excersice. I would check out yourlocal shelter. :0)

I Love My Aussie
04-07-2001, 02:32 PM
I recommend a herding breed. Australian shepherd, an Australian cattledog, or a border collie would be my choice. Poodles are very smart along with retrievers.

------------------
*Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

strawberry_puff13
04-09-2001, 03:39 PM
Almost any dog can be good at agility--but I would recomend a Rottweiler or German Shepherd. If trained well, neither are aggressive with their owners.

Rottie
04-10-2001, 05:09 PM
The border collie rules the agility ring!

But, if they don't have enough exercise, they can be trouble! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sophies Daddy
04-10-2001, 10:58 PM
Papillons are the small dog to have in agility. They excel in the sport and enjoy the challenge tremendously. As odd as it seems because paps are relatively obscure, I am willing to bet that any agility center that you visit will have a papillon photo on the wall (provided that they put photos of their and their student's dogs on the wall).

Have fun, intelligence, and companionship all in one package: get a papillon!

You can get to the papillon rescue page by visiting www.papillonclub.org/rescue (http://www.papillonclub.org/rescue) . Becoming the forever home for one of these wonderful souls will certainly be a rewarding and uplifting experience! (Aside from the fact that they just love people who aspire to do good things with their rescues.)

Sophies Daddy
04-11-2001, 08:47 PM
By the way...

Papillons, while high energy outdoors, are relatively low energy indoors. This is something else to think about considering that most of the other agility breeds are high energy indoors and potentially destructive if they don't get their daily exercise. Generally, destruction is not a problem with paps as they are usually perfectly content to just be near you (if not in your lap).

Logan
04-11-2001, 10:13 PM
You're beginning to sound like a salesman, Sophie's Dad!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif You know I'm teasing. I think you are giving great advice on your breed of choice.
Actually, I think that any enthusiastic, energetic dog will do. I have a fast, enthusiastic Golden Retriever....but I have learned through agility training....this only works in our own backyard and on Honey's terms. She has completely failed at agility. Her tail stays between her legs and she refuses many of the agility props, especially the tunnels and chutes. I've decided I'd better accept her like she is, and just keep her here, and anything we achieve is progress.
Good luck with your choice!
Logan

Sophies Daddy
04-27-2001, 01:09 PM
I came across an interesing list of statistics that should be of interest to anyone interested in an agility or obedience dog. I got this information courtesy of Deb Jones & Copper (her Papillon) :

I was looking through the year 2000 AKC statistics and thought people might
be interested in titles earned by Papillons. People were pretty busy this
past year!

260 Champions
46 CD (Companion Dog)
18 CDX (Companion Dog Excellent)
7 UD (Utility Dog)
1 UDX (Utility Dog Excellent)
3 OTCH (Obedience Trial Champion)
(only one other toy dog earned an OTCH last year -- a Chinese Crested)
1 TD (Tracking Dog)
64 NA (Novice Agility Standard)
45 OA (Open Agility Standard)
23 AX (Agility Excellent Standard)
14 MX (Master Agility Standard)
70 NAJs (Novice AgilityJumpers)
41 OAJ (Open Aglity Jumpers)
26 AXJ (Agility Excellent Jumpers)
18 MXJ (Master Agility Jumpers)
7 MACH (Master Agility Champion) (the only toy breed to earn this title!)

Deb Jones & Copper
U-CDX Dewdrop's I'mtoosexyformyears, CD, OA, OAJ, CGC

TollSettFK
04-30-2001, 12:47 PM
THE PERFECT dog for that would be the Irish Setter!!!! They can run all day, are sooo effectionate, thier not agressive in the least,thier competitive, and thier also beautiful! They would be THE PERFECT dog.We used to own two, and I have to say, they are high strung, but they have so much a gility, they could run all day!

willemyn
05-12-2001, 05:31 PM
YES I DO BORDER COLLIES.THEY ARE THE BEST FOR AGILITY BUT READ ABOUT THEM FIRST BEFORE YOU GET ONE BECAUSE THEY ARE A LOT OF WORK
GOOD LUCK
WILLEMYN

Westie Woman
05-15-2001, 02:07 PM
Boston terriers are great at agility. I have 2 on my street, and they never run out of energy. Also try Jack russell terriers, and German shorthair pointers.

karlicat
05-15-2001, 04:13 PM
Havaneses are small and dont shed and are very happy and smart and easily trained b/c they were circus dogs a few centuries ago and VERY agile- my Poco can stretch her back legs straight out backwards when shes laying down and they are adorable and loving and...bad things about them? well i cant think of any. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

karlicat
05-15-2001, 04:14 PM
and she can zip around the yard and around obstacles like trees, like a rabbit she moves so fast!!!

ShepherdLover
05-19-2001, 10:52 AM
If you're looking for an easy dog to handle (not TO much energy) don't get a border collie. Yes they tend to win but do you no how much work the handler has to go through to have those BC's under control! Some border collies are calm but most of them are ENERGY DOGS! Herding breeds tend to be #1 agility dogs.

I do Iris in agility and she does just fine! Shelties are very good. Any dog can do really good in agility, some are faster than others. Some are easier to train than others. It really depends on the dog.

------------------
Becky Weise & Iris - the German Shepherd
http://www.geocities.com/iris_gsd

champion ruby
05-19-2001, 11:16 PM
Aussies know that the TOP dogs on all agility trials are our own KELPIES!!! They were bred to round up sheep in tougher conditions than the wonderful border collies were developed for. All over Australia kelpies ride on motorbikes, run across sheep's backs, win frisbee catching competitions, fence-climbing competitions and at the obedience trials come in a close second to the most intelligent dog of all, the border collie. The kelpie is smaller, more active (are you really ready for one??)and definitely the winner in the agility stakes.

cheyaut
05-25-2001, 02:57 PM
Well if you want a purebred I would say borders and aussies are very good agility dogs, or if you want smaller, border terriers. But any dog can do agility- my malamute/husky loves it! BUt here is my advice- rescue a mutt that is active and seems to want to work! That would save a life! Or you can even rescue purebreds, there are several resue groups, and even the shelters/pounds/humane societies have several purebreds in need of a good home!

------------------
Kodak Moment the malamute/husky, Keesha Marie the cocker/field spaniel?, Fuji Film the chow/aussie?, Secretariat and Grem Lynne the unrelated brown tabby and white DSH, Hollow and Sparky, father/daughter black DSH, Cheyenne Autumn my pride and joy TB, Matastar's Morning Star my Rocky Mountain horse colt, and the birds!

Violet
05-28-2001, 07:53 AM
If you want a big dog I suggest a border collie, and if you want a small dog, I suggest a boston terrier. (They are very hyper and have lots of energy)