PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cat litter boxes

kallisto4529
02-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I need some advice from all of you wise people!!!!!! My cat Bei-jing is an older cat and it seems like she might be having some problems getting in and out of her cat litter box. she has been having some accidents where she has pooped outside of the box, just outside the entrance. my husband and i were thinking of maybe getting one of those litter maid auto cleaning cat boxes. any suggestions or comments from anyone would be very appreciated.
thanks marti

Catlady711
02-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I would make an appointment at the vet to rule out a health problem. Also if your older cat does have the start of arthritis there is a glucosamine supplement you can get from the vet called Cosaquin that will help. My oldest cat takes that.

I personally wouldn't get the Littermaid self cleaning box, it's too small of an area for the cat to use, older cats don't accept change as easily as younger cats, and the noise when it cleans may scare her. Just keep your regular litterbox cleaned out daily.

If it were me I would just look at the local pet stores for a new regular litter box with lower sides, or even go so far as to get one of those dog litter boxes with very low sides, kinda depends on how much litter your cat throws around when using it.

janelle
02-27-2007, 01:40 AM
My kitty is young and healthy but he still goes outside the box. At least it's right by the box. I think he turns the wrong way and his behind hangs off the side. Otherwise he is very smart. I just scoop it up. At least he urinates in the box.

kallisto4529
02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
i already talked to the vet about it and she suggested a more of a low kitty box and i will have to check about the supplement, she put her on some kind of fish oil but it is not liking her too well...lol thank you ref the litter maid i did not realize they were somewhat small, she is a big cat.

Laura's Babies
02-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I have tried them all for Amy and I find all mine love the big corner box. It is low enough for Amy to get in, big enough to move around in to dig and high enough for them to stand, sit or do whatever. Amy's legs can not hold her when she squats so all her business has to be done standing and she has PLENTY of standing room in there. It is tall, long from front to back and side to side. Also you may want to try a storage container, one at least as tall as she is, cut a end to make a place to get in and out and cut low enough so she don't have any problem getting in and out.

lvpets2002
02-27-2007, 08:42 AM
:) I agree with Laura on the big corner box.. I have several boxes for the others.. But I do have two of the corner boxes.. My Taccoa is the same as Amy and has problems holding herself in the litter box.. Now she will get in the corner box & leans herself to the side wall & head bumps towards the other wall & this is how she balances herself..

catmandu
02-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I Use The Wide Long And Low Rubber Maid Boxes Which Gives Even The Biggest And Poorest Aiming Cat A Target That They Cant Miss.
They Are 2 X 4 And Six Inches Deep.
Wal Mart Should Have Them I Was Lucky And Got Mine At The Amity For Three Dollars Each.