PDA

View Full Version : Grooming Question

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
As you all know, Robin is a long haired cat. What you don't know is that she HATES being brushed! After only two attempts, she already knows what my brushes look like and she runs and hides at the mere site of them. For the most part she grooms herself pretty well, but I have noticed a few lumpy bumpy mats starting and I'd rather get them out before they become unmanageable.

Peanut had long hair, but not this long, and I could always man handle Peanut enough to get the worst of the mats out. Robin on the other hand is not so easy to man handle, so I need some tips on how to brush a cat that hates being brushed. And as can be expected, the mats are all "underneath" where they're harder to get at instead of on top where they'd be a piece of cake to get. :rolleyes:

Catty1
02-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Cole's not crazy about being brushed - but what has helped is one of those rubber -toothed Grooming Mitts. Cole feels like he's being patted and stroked, which he is.

If Robin likes that, then you might be able to sneak some scritches under her chin. The one I have doesn't do a great job on mats....but it gets Cole used to 'being brushed' so he is better when I use a regular brush...for a little longer, anyway! :D

Or try catnip first or Feliway, if you have any.

jazzcat
02-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Rumor hates to be brushed and I have to chase her from one end of the house to the other only to get one or two swipes across her back. As for mats I am able to cut them out while she sleeps in my lap or eats at her bowl. I have to be quick about it though. I'd give anything for her to enjoy being brushed. It would make a major dent in the amount of hair I have to clean up around the house. :rolleyes:

Catty1
02-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I've often wished there was a tiny, QUIET, battery-powered vacuum cleaner to use on kitties....it would have to be REALLY silent, though....

jennielynn1970
02-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Robin on the other hand is not so easy to man handle, so I need some tips on how to brush a cat that hates being brushed. And as can be expected, the mats are all "underneath" where they're harder to get at instead of on top where they'd be a piece of cake to get. :rolleyes:

Do what I did and make an appt. with Jen Luckenbach a few times a year, lol. I can't even put two hands on Jorgie without him darting and hiding for a few hours. :eek: Brushing him is just out of the question most of the time... :(

Laura's Babies
02-26-2007, 10:34 PM
I have no advice for you... all my short haired babies love being brushed and will fight for their turn. All mine have to do is see that shedding tool in my hand and the battle begins for WHO is first!...

I tried it on Kitty Boo and although my sister said she hates being brushed/groomed, she loved it when I did her the other day.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Do what I did and make an appt. with Jen Luckenbach a few times a year, lol.
Don't I wish!! ;) :D

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I saw the rubber toothed thingy at PetSmart the other day and almost bought it - should have. ;) I will try that first.....as a matter of fact....I'll have Terry try it when she's cuddling with him. That way she'll get used to it so she won't freak when I try to use it on her. Hopefully she'll get used to the feel of it and will eventually like being brushed....hopefully.

critter crazy
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I wish you luck, mats on kitties are a stinker! Thankfully mocha like to be groomed, and I was able to get the few mats she had out. they were small and underall of her fur, it was tough but we got the job done. I think the grooming mit should work for you, at least to get her used to it! Good luck!

KitCat
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Cocoa Kitty is very excited when the grooming tools come out. It's a big treat for him! He used to only like just the top of his head brushed but he's used to it now and lets me brush everything. It sure keeps down on the shedding.

If you can make it a positive experience (use treats) it should get easier. If you cat is partial to one person, let them do it.

Medusa
02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
My Pidge is a long hair and she detests being brushed. That's the only time she fusses. Well, I saw something on TV called the Shed Ender. It was available only on TV but now it's in stores. I got mine at the grocery store, Giant Eagle, here in OH. It's great, causes no pain and she'll sit fairly still for grooming. It gets the big clumps out and so I don't have to worry about cutting them out. Give it a whirl.

Blessings,
Mary

Freedom
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I have a chair I sit in most often. Next to that I keep the brushes, in a plastic shoe box on the floor.

To get her used to brushing, I'd wait till Vita comes to sit on my lap. Every now and then, I pick up a brush and stroke her with it. She likes under the chin and behind the ears best. I had to remember to give just a few strokes and then put the brush down and just let her sit and enjoy me. AND I had to make sure I did not do this each and every time she came to sit with me.

I found the hard part was -
- stopping before the job was done
- stopping before the cat was uncomfortable.

I also cheated and put some catnip in with the brushes so they smell of it and the nip gets crumbled in the coat as I brush. I don't need to do that anymore; Vita is 9 now and doesn't mind brushing.

She does NOT like me working on mats, even now. That usually Dad holds her and I cut them out quick quick. He holds her so she is leaning back into him, with her rear legs just barely touching the table. If she has much weight on her rear legs she jumps, and if she has no weight on her rear legs she isn't stretched out and I can't get the mats.

I would suggest you get these mats cut out so you are not in any hurry, and then work on getting Robin used to brushes slowly.

catmandu
02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
I Would Take Robin In For A Grooming So You Can Start From Scratch With Her All Nicely Groomed Up And You Could Get Some Great Tips And Tools From The Groomer As How To Get Her Brushed Up.

shais_mom
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I agree.
Try the mits, try a kitty kong, try a COMB with rescue remedy also that might help too.
We gotta help our gorgeous girls STAY that way! :p

Barbara
02-28-2007, 06:07 AM
There is a fallback position- my friend Angie's Persian whom she rescued from a situation where he was in house alone, totally matted, hates to be brushed. So he gets a lion cut in summer and it all grows slowly back over the winter and next spring it's lion cut again. Little Kaiser enjoys having short hair- he can play as much as he wants and it makes him look slimmer ;)