PDA

View Full Version : Guppies!

areias
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
While I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my other tank (no more deaths-everything looks good!) I have a 5 gallon hex tank setup sitting in the garage. I'm thinking of setting it up in my room for something to look at, hehe. Do you think some fancy guppies would be a good idea? How many, 4 or 5? I don't know too much about them...but they are colorfully wonderful for a small tank. What do you think?

Blue_Frog
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Guppies are really pretty fish, but breed like crazy -- so, if you were going to get some, make sure its either all males or all females (unless you have a home for the hoardes of babies that will ensue otherwise!) :D

areias
02-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Hmm, okay, will all male guppies get along ok? I believe that the females aren't very colorful...the tank is going to be for "show" more or less in my room (I hate to put it that way..but..). If not, what other species would you recommend? I don't want to overload the tank.

Genny
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey, yeah sure, all males will get along fine I've had all males in my tank before and they are really peaceful fish. I love them--the girls are less colorful, but they're sweet too.

Another good kind of fish I've had before are mollies--there are all sortsof mollies, but I prefer the black mollies. I even use to have a few of them with my guppies. They got along good, but they have babies like crazy too, so all males or all females would be good f you don't want babies.

I would probably get all females if I went with any kind of mollie, because when I use to have mollies the males would fight sometimes... They would also chase each other and bite each others' tails!

I have goldfish and angelfish right now--and my little goldfish, Pearl, died tonight...just a few hours ago--I had her for 5 years so it's hard to lose one when you've had them this long.

Good luck!

Genny

critter crazy
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Guppies are awsome! They were my very first fish, and I enjoyed them tons, I had all males in my tank, and they all got along great!

areias
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
And that's why I love you guys! I'll be setting up the tank in the next few days...yes, I probably will go ahead with the male guppies. I like mollies too, but I'm afraid of them getting a bit too big. A regular filter is okay right? They wouldn't be sucked in?

Flatcoatluver
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I have three male guppies together right now and they are fine together. The filter is fine as long as it is specially for a 5 gallon tank.

Genny
02-27-2007, 01:58 AM
yeah, I guess a reg. filter would be alright; that's what I've always had and used with all my fish.

IRescue452
02-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Mollies get way too big. They can get over 6" when fully grown. To be honest, I'd only do a few guppies in there, 4-5. A 5 gallon hex is like a three gallon long when you count the surface area to water ratio.

Kalei
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Guppies are definately pretty fish, but they certainly breed alot. When I was little I had a female that had babies and I didn't know what to do cause I was too young, I tried to save them but from my lack of knowledge, they ended up dieing. But after that it had babies again, I just left them in the original tank and some of them actually grew big!:)

Males are definately the prettier ones though:p