PDA

View Full Version : PT Cooking Magazine *SUPPERTIME*

sirrahbed
02-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Daughter Missy made potroast the other day and shared this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06013.jpg

Coca-Cola Potroast
1 pot roast, trimmed of visible fat. We use an arm roast because it is inexpensive
1 small bag of baby carrots
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 can Campbell's chunky potato soup, any variety
1 can Coca Cola
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Dump carrots, potatoes, and onions in the bottom of a 4-5 quart slow cooker. Add in potato soup and stir until the veggies are evenly coated. Place pot roast on top of the veggies and pour the onion soup mix on top of the meat. Pour a can of Coke on top of the veggies around the meat.
Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours and on high for 4 hours. Or on low ALL day.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of my favorite things to make is meatloaf. I collect recipes for meatloaf and am always looking for new ones. Here is a meatloaf from a recipe I got here on PT - a Turkey Mozzarella Loaf - served here with roasted veggies and a salad. The recipe came from Christa.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/home/dinner.jpg
* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey Mozzarella Loaf

Recipe By : Debbie
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds ground turkey
10 ounces package frozen spinach -- thawed and squeezed
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine turkey, spinach, onion, bread crumbs and spices, mix lightly. Press half of the meat mixture in a loaf pan. Top this layer with the mozzarella. Press remaining meat on top of this and press down to make an even layer.

Whisk together the ketchup and mustard - spread over the loaf.

Bake for one hour - sides of the loaf will begin to pull away from the pan and the top will be golden.

Remove from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes. Letting it stand will allow you to cut into 6 nice slices.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, what are YOU cooking today? Will you share a picture here? :D Maybe it is a special meal you cook....maybe a bowl of soup.... or leftovers.....even fastfood? ;) Will you contribute to the magazine?

Daisy and Delilah
02-26-2007, 08:40 AM
That looks devine Debbie!! I need a good low carb meatloaf recipe. Do you have one?

Lori Jordan
02-26-2007, 09:36 AM
In another forum im in there is a section called "Supper Time" and people take pictures of there dinner and include the recipe,I think we should do something like that here,It gives us all new ideas.

We all know what it is like having the same old things for dinner on a regular basis,

Some people just take a pic of there dinner,some also include a recipe,it is nice seeing all the different foods,Mind you it makes you hungry lol.

So what do you all think of having something like that here????

Sirrahsim
02-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd frequent it if we had a section like that :)

Mom that looks great! I may have to try that :)

sirrahbed
02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
In another forum im in there is a section called "Supper Time" and people take pictures of there dinner and include the recipe,I think we should do something like that here,It gives us all new ideas......

I like that thread name Lori - so I renamed this one. I was hoping that we could have an ongoing thread like this. I love it when we have threads about "what are you having for dinner?" and get good ideas. It is also just fun to read about what other folks are fixing. I think the idea of including a picture would be an interesting addition.

kittycats_delight
02-26-2007, 01:49 PM
I like this idea. :)

Tonight I made homemade pizza. Sorry didn't take any pics hubby was there waiting with plate in hand as he was 'starving' or so he claims anyway. He must have been seeing he ate an entire pizza himself. 8 slices.

I will have to come up with something 'Italian' for tomorrow. :p

mruffruff
02-26-2007, 03:07 PM
How about this?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v256/mruffruff/Southern%20Bungalow/th_food.jpg

Corn muffins, Stuffed peppers, Scalloped potatoes

Mom's Scalloped Potatoes

Coat a 1 1/2 qt baking pan with spray oil. Peel and slice thinly 4 medium potatoes and 1 large onion.

Make 2 cups medium white sauce. (Melt 4T. butter in a sauce pan, add 4T. flour and stir over medium heat until blended. Add 2 cups of milk gradually, and stir until well blended. Add potatoes, onions, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Pour half in baking pan. Add sliced ham or raw pork chops and cover with remaining potato mixture.

Bake 45 min. to an hour at 350.

BC_MoM
02-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Haha, I'm drooling over your yummy looking salad! I love baby tomatoes. (((DROOOOL))) :o

Lori Jordan
02-26-2007, 03:32 PM
I will also post something later on im making hamburgers tonight,,,,Nothing special but i get in moods were i make all different kinds of foods,And we can even do desserts on here,I don't bake that much but im sure there is a good percentage on here that do...

Sirrahsim
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I just put a batch of Bisquick chicken wings in the oven. Nothing too special about them because I took the recipe right off of the box of Bisquick but they are quite yummy :) I'll snap a picture when I pull them out of the oven :)

Catsnclay
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok you guys.....quite it!!! :) Your making me HUNGRY!!!

New Rule: if your going to post a pitcture of your supper, you have to send me a portion ;) since I don't cook!! :p

Ok, fork & knife - I'm ready....let's eat!!

PS- Deb, it is nice to see you post here! I have missed you!

Sirrahsim
02-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Here are my wings. I served them up with a pile of brown rice and some broccoli. It wasn't the most colorful meal, but it was relatively low in fat and very tasty :) The most amazing thing was that Tyler LOVED it all and cleaned his plate :eek: :eek: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06018.jpg

Lori Jordan
02-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Here are my wings. I served them up with a pile of brown rice and some broccoli. It wasn't the most colorful meal, but it was relatively low in fat and very tasty :) The most amazing thing was that Tyler LOVED it all and cleaned his plate :eek: :eek: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06018.jpg
DROOLING!!!!

king2005
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't have any photos, but I made a wicked roast last month.

Chad wasn't too keen on touching it cause he thought the way I made it was too strange :rolleyes:

I drowned my roast in tomato juice & spicy pasta sauce over night & most of the day... I then moved the meat into a pot, poured the juices ontop & made sure it was fully covered. I cut up 1/2 a bag of normal carrots & 1/2 a bag of yellow potatos & 3/4 of cabbage. I put all the veggies into the pot with the roast & put it right into the oven... 3hrs later I checked on it. Pulled the roast out & cut it in 1/2.. it was soo tender & brown all the way through.. so I cut it into thick slices & put it back into the pot & cooked it for another 30 mins...

I then sepreated everthing, put it onto plates & served.. I put some of the juices into a bowl & used it like gravy... OMG it was to die for! Chad & Andrew thanked me all dinner long & we ate the whole thing! :eek:

Argranade
02-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Awww if only you could send it over with out it getting old or spilt threw mail LOL.

This is very random but if you want somthing that's healthy and taste's SO darn good as a desert or somthing you should try.

Chopped up & washed strawberries thrown into a small bowl, add some sugar and milk .... enjoy!

Oh and you'll need a spoon with the strawberry thing to eat it LOL.

My dad made this for me the other day & ever since I have been having it like every day! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
02-28-2007, 06:27 PM
What a fun idea for a thread! Tonight I had a black bean and cheese burrito and a spinach salad with pesto dressing:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/pembrokecorgi/IMG_5392.jpg

It's really easy, just lightly fry a tortilla filled with your favorites! My tortilla tonight is tomato-basil. :)

jazzcat
02-28-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't have a picture but I made enough beef stew last night for an army. I had to use three large pots to cook it all. We ate it last night, I took some down to my Dad today and I'm freezing the rest.

I just got back from my Dad's so I have no clue what we are eating tonight. NOT STEW!

mruffruff
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
One of my favorite side dishes is Green Rice. It's easy and versatile. I use Success rice in bags, but regular rice would work, too.

Fill a large pan 3/4 full of water. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped onion and the same of chopped green pepper. (I buy the frozen bags to make it easier). Add 1/4 cup finely chopped celery (or 1 Tablespoon dry celery flakes) and the same of dried Parsley. Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice bag and cook on medium high for 10 minutes.

Pour the entire pot into a large strainer. Return the onions and pepper mixture to the pot. Add the drained rice. Mix in butter or margarine and salt/pepper to taste.

Vary the amounts of 'greens' to suit your taste.

Leftovers can be combined with a can of drained stewed tomatoes, chili powder and grated cheese. Stuff this into partially cooked, boiled green pepper halves and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Or add a can of drained stewed tomatoes, cooked and crumbled hamburger and chopped jalepenos for Spanish Rice.

It looks as good as it tastes. Sorry I don't have a picture!

Ceph
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I am a baker more than a cook...I dont have the recipe for my homemade pie crust, but when I go home I'll post that...

Here's Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll.

3 beaten eggs, 1 c. sugar (I usually add a little more), 2/3 c. pumpin (the canned stuff), 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 c. flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp pumkin pie spice (I usually add to taste)...and you can add nuts...which I dont do cause my dad doesnt eat them.

I just kind of mix it all together, through it in a wax paper lined, buttered up jelly roll tray, cook at 375 for 10-15 minutes...then I take a towel with powdered sugar sprinkled on it...turn the tray bread down and then peel the wax paper off the top. Let it cool for 30 minutes then you spread the filling inside and roll it up.

the filling is : 8oz cream cheese, t tbs soft butter (unsalted) or 2 tbs melted butter (alot messier), 1 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla (I usually do to taste)

This week is my spring break and my daddy is making me my family secret french onion soup (its a secret recipe from a pre WWII pariesian restaruant) and I am having schwarma...which is amazing (a kosher lamb sandwitch thing)

Sirrahsim
03-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Easy Cinnamon Rolls
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pbd5b4f4403114c8b6f8610e795cf841e/ea76a238.jpg

1 Tube refrigerated crescent rolls
cinnamon sugar mix (approx 1 part ground cinnamon to 3 parts white sugar)
margarine

Roll out the tube of crescent rolls and seal the creases so that you have 2 long rectangles. Spread a thin layer of butter or margarine over the top of the rectangles. Sprinkle plenty of cinnamon sugar over the rectangles. Don't be shy, I cover them :rolleyes: Roll the rectangles up like a jelly roll with the cinnamon sugar mixture inside. Cut the "logs" into a total of 8 small cinnamon rolls. Place them on a baking pan and bake them according to the package directions.
For frosting I mixed about 1/2 cup powdered sugar with a splash of milk and a splash of vanilla extract. Continue to add tablespoons of powdered sugar if it's too runny or just a splash of milk at a time if it's too thick. Yummy, fast, and easy!!!

critter crazy
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06013.jpg

Coca-Cola Potroast
1 pot roast, trimmed of visible fat. We use an arm roast because it is inexpensive
1 small bag of baby carrots
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 can Campbell's chunky potato soup, any variety
1 can Coca Cola
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Dump carrots, potatoes, and onions in the bottom of a 4-5 quart slow cooker. Add in potato soup and stir until the veggies are evenly coated. Place pot roast on top of the veggies and pour the onion soup mix on top of the meat. Pour a can of Coke on top of the veggies around the meat.
Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours and on high for 4 hours. Or on low ALL day.
I have this one in the Crockpot right now! I cannot wait till dinner to try it!!:D

Sirrahsim
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
ohh I hope you like it!! Let us know :)

Lori Jordan
03-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Everything looks great,I will post something soon i have just been making simple dishes for dinner since i have been running back and forth to the hospital.

Sirrahsim
03-02-2007, 05:05 PM
How was the pot roast? Tonight I made a super fancy :rolleyes: chicken dinner.
Parmesan Herb Shake and Bake made with chicken tenderloins, steamed veggies, and Uncle Ben's Ready Rice :rolleyes: :D It was yummy though! Here is Tyler's plate:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06045.jpg

kimlovescats
03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Here is what hubby and I had for supper tonight! I'm trying to start cooking "healthier". ;)

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/240072/20070305/162359.jpg
Photo Sharing (http://www.dropshots.com/) - Upload Video (http://www.dropshots.com/) - Video Sharing (http://www.dropshots.com/)

Boneless (skinless) chicken tenderloins ... cooked all day in crockpot with Fat-Free cream of chicken soup and sliced onion. Garlic powder for added flavor.

Fresh veggie mix - Cucumber, Broccoli, Cherry tomatoes, marinated all day in fridge with Caesar Vinaigrette w/ parmesan Dressing. Tossed with slivered almonds just before serving.

Steamed plain white rice - used FF cream of chicken soup left in crockpot as gravy!

YUMMY! :D

Rachel
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Tonight I sauteed some red and green pepper, red onion, zucchini and baby spinach in a little olive oil, added a bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning and served it over whole wheat pena pasta. I added some parmeson cheese, although I would have preferred feta. I wish I would have thought to take a picture, because it did look colorful. Probably a cut up tomato would have been a good addition too.

Then, since I had eaten so healthy....I downed three girl scout cookies and a glass of chocolate soy milk. :o

jackmilliesmom
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Here is a nice recipie for garlic and cheese bread nice for salads and soups - try it you will love it..........

225g / 8oz Self Raising Flour
50g / 2oz Butter or Margarine
Pinch of Salt
50g / 2oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 Clove of Garlic (crushed)
150ml / 1/4pt milk

Method:

1.Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a flat baking sheet.2. Sieve flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and garlic.3. Pour in the milk, reserving a tablespoonful for glazing the wedges, gently mix until combined.4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead briefly and lightly. Press dough into a I” thick round. Cut into 8 wedges. Place onto prepared tin and brush with reserved milk. 5. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until light brown. 6. Serve hot or cool on a wire tray.7. Serve with soup, salad or cheese.

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
ohh I hope you like it!! Let us know :)
I was great!! loved it!! My aunt and her kids came over the other night, and they helped with the leftovers, and loved it as well!

Sirrahsim
03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I was great!! loved it!! My aunt and her kids came over the other night, and they helped with the leftovers, and loved it as well!
I'm so glad that it was a hit!!

Sirrahsim
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Right now I have a ham roast in the crock pot! The recipe calls for a pork roast but I am NOT a fan of the taste of a pork roast at all so I use the precooked ham halves instead :)
This picture does not do it justice. It turns out soooo tender and yummy :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06066.jpg

3lb pork roast (I use precooked ham halves)
1 large can crushed pineapple with juice
2 to 3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp dried basil
about 4 additional ounces of pineapple juice

Place roast in slow cooker. Combine all ingredients and pour over ham. Cover and cook 4 hours on high and 4 hours on low. I think it helps to use a spoon to pour some of the liquid up over the meat whenever you happen to wander through the kitchen.
If you want gravy to go with it you can remove the meat and use the juices. Measure out the cooking juices, add enough water to make about 1 3/4 cups and pour into a saucepan. In a separate bowl blend about 2Tbsp flour with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Stir flour mixture into the hot cooking juices and bring it all up to a boil. Stir constantly until thickened.

I usually heat up a loaf of store bought Hawaiian bread and some sort of veggie to go with it :D

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Right now I have a ham roast in the crock pot! The recipe calls for a pork roast but I am NOT a fan of the taste of a pork roast at all so I use the precooked ham halves instead :)
This picture does not do it justice. It turns out soooo tender and yummy :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06066.jpg

3lb pork roast (I use precooked ham halves)
1 large can crushed pineapple with juice
2 to 3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp dried basil
about 4 additional ounces of pineapple juice

Place roast in slow cooker. Combine all ingredients and pour over ham. Cover and cook 4 hours on high and 4 hours on low. I think it helps to use a spoon to pour some of the liquid up over the meat whenever you happen to wander through the kitchen.
If you want gravy to go with it you can remove the meat and use the juices. Measure out the cooking juices, add enough water to make about 1 3/4 cups and pour into a saucepan. In a separate bowl blend about 2Tbsp flour with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Stir flour mixture into the hot cooking juices and bring it all up to a boil. Stir constantly until thickened.

I usually heat up a loaf of store bought Hawaiian bread and some sort of veggie to go with it :D
OOO.....that sounds good!! i have tons of pork in the freezer, since we had a pig slaughtered recently, and I am running out of Ideas! That sounds like a great dinner for tomarrow!

Sirrahsim
03-06-2007, 12:05 PM
I've never made it with a regular pork roast so I can't offer any promises :D :p

sirrahbed
03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I tried something last night that turned out really well - flour tortillas for noodle/dumplings! My dad had told me about this. I stewed my chicken as usual with broth, carrots, onions and spices. About 10 minutes before supper - sliced up several flour tortillas and added them to the pot. It came out like Campbells Chicken Noodle soup :) The tortillas thickened up the broth a bit, too.

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I've never made it with a regular pork roast so I can't offer any promises :D :p I am willing to take chances!:p besides i have ham and pork! so I am good! I can try it both Ways!!:D

Sirrahsim
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
I tried something last night that turned out really well - flour tortillas for noodle/dumplings! My dad had told me about this. I stewed my chicken as usual with broth, carrots, onions and spices. About 10 minutes before supper - sliced up several flour tortillas and added them to the pot. It came out like Campbells Chicken Noodle soup :) The tortillas thickened up the broth a bit, too.
hmmm I may have to try that :) I never make chicken and dumplings here because Paul doesn't like the big yummy homemade ones that you and I like to make :)

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Hmmm..I love anything with tortillas!! how small did you slice them??

sirrahbed
03-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Hmmm..I love anything with tortillas!! how small did you slice them??

I did half of them in thin strips not much bigger than the noodles in canned soup. The rest I cut about as big as a stick of gum - maybe three inches by 1 inch. I liked those better as they stay more chewy :) They also look more like my homemade noodles which we call "dumplings" in the south. ;)

I wonder how it would taste made with corn tortillas? I bet it would be good as long as they don't go back to mush :p

critter crazy
03-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I did half of them in thin strips not much bigger than the noodles in canned soup. The rest I cut about as big as a stick of gum - maybe three inches by 1 inch. I liked those better as they stay more chewy :) They also look more like my homemade noodles which we call "dumplings" in the south. ;)

I wonder how it would taste made with corn tortillas? I bet it would be good as long as they don't go back to mush :p
Awsome definitely gonna have to try that! yeah the thicker ones sound much better!

I dont know about corn totillas, cause like you said, it seems like they would mush up on you?? not sure tho?

Kfamr
03-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I've been sick so I haven't gone out or done much of anything other than going to work. So, I've been cooking - mostly soup. Here's the past 2 night dinners and the Beef Veggie soup was just made for tonight.

Homemade Potato Soup
http://petevents.com/~simba/suppertime1.jpg
1 bag of potatoes
4 onions
3 stalks of celery
2 cans of chicken broth
1 cup of water
1 cup of milk
A few dashes of salt (I like it salty, so I put extra salt)
A few dashes of chicken bouillon
A few shredded baby carrots
2 sticks of butter

Cut potatoes, onions, and celery to the size you like.
Boil potatoes in water.
In another pan, sautee onions and celery with 1 stick of butter. When cooked add broth and water.

Drain potatoes, add celery/onion/broth mixture. Add milk, salt, and butter to taste. Shred a few carrots over top for color.

Chicken Catchatori
http://petevents.com/~simba/suppertime2.jpg

1 can/jar of spaghetti sauce
rice
boneless chicken breasts
carrots, celery, onions (optional)

Boil boneless chicken breasts until cooked completely. Shred/cut chicken to preferred size.
Cook as much rice as needed to serve.
Sautee carrots, celery, and onions.
Put spaghetti sauce in a frying pan and heat. Once the carrots, celery, and onions are cooked - add to sauce.
Add chicken to sauce and let cook all together for about 5 minutes.
Plate a bed of rice, scoop on the sauce and chicken. Enjoy!

Beef Vegetable Soup
http://petevents.com/~simba/suppertime3.jpg
leftover steak
leftover rice
leftover greenbeans, corn, and peas
water
beef bouillon
1 can of whole tomatoes
carrots
celery
onions
Sautee carrots, celery, and onions.
Cut and then boil leftover steak in water, enough to cover the top of the steak slices.
Add bouillon to taste.
Cut can of whole tomatoes to prefered size.
Combine into one pan and allow to come to a boil. Add rice.

caseysmom
03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Kay, I made the pototoe soup the other night...didn't look as good as yours. I made the mistake of taking the boat motor to it, I meant to just do it a bit but ended up doing too much.

mruffruff
03-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Cuban Pork Roast

1 lb dry pinto beans
3 lb Pork Roast
7 C Water
1/2 C chopped onion
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 T Salt
2 T Chili Powder
1 T Cumin
1 t Oregano
4 oz Green Chili Peppers (1 can)

Put all ingredients in crock pot for 5 hours or until the beans are done. Uncover for the last half hour to allow to thicken. Serve with Rice.

cassiesmom
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Pet Talk Cooking Consultants -- please see related topic about recipes for chili -- I don't have a good one, but I wish I did! Can you please suggest one? It can be either vegetarian or with meat.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=123459

I_luv_rusty
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Heres a recipe that delicious! I had been meaning to post it for you guys but never got around to it. I made it it school and it was good so I got the recipe and I have had it plenty of times at home.

Quick Pasta with no vodka sauce

2 T. Butter
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. tomato sauce
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. chicken broth
2 T. parmesan cheese
A few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
2 c. cooked pasta

Melt butter in a large fry pan, add garlic, and saute until tender, but not brown. Blend in tomato sauce, bring to a simmer over low heat. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Slowly add the tempered cream to the sauce, stirring constantly. Add parmesan cheese and pepper flakes. Stir until well blended and thoroughly heated. Add cooked, drained pasta to the sauce. Toss to coat. Enjoy :) Then add more parm. cheese on top of the pasta w/ sauce, if you like it that way. (Also, if you have leftover sauce you can use it as a dipping sauce. I love dipping pizza rolls in it. :p )

sirrahbed
05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I have now tried Kay's potato soup and mruffruff's Cuban pork roast - and both were just fantastic :) The carrots in the potato soup sure do add eye appeal and that recipe is buttery rich and yummy. The roast will also be a regular as I love the flavor of the cumin.

It really is fun to read and see what other folks have been making - gives me ideas :) I love this thread and the other "what is for dinner?" threads.

Soooo I am hoping to see more pictures to give me inspiration.

sirrahbed
09-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I tried a new recipe for supper last night and it was soooo yummy that I had to share it. This came from my Simple & Delicious magazine :)

Pretzel-Crusted Chicken for 2

2 boneless chicken breasts
2 T honey mustard
2 thin slices of honey ham
1 1/2 tsp melted butter
1/4 cup crushed pretzels

Slice a pocket into the side of chicken breasts to form a pocket. Put 1 T of honey mustard into each. tuck in the slice of ham. Brush the top with the melted butter. sprinkle the crushed pretzels over the top and press in to stick better. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

These were so, so good and very pretty also. The honey mustard comes from the regular condiment section - mine is made by Kraft. I love this stuff as it is not as sharp as yellow mustard - just tastes lighter. This recipe is also light and healthy - I used light margarine. The pretzels give it a nice crumbly crust. I hope you try it - it will be a new regular at our house :)

jennielynn1970
09-15-2007, 09:23 PM
One of my favorite things to make is meatloaf. I collect recipes for meatloaf and am always looking for new ones.

I LOVE my mom's meatloaf!! If you're not adverse to venison, her recipe uses it as one of the ingredients (along with turkey and beef).

Mom’s Meatloaf

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
1 lb. ground venison
1 pkg. french onion soup
2 egg whites
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. bread crumbs
BBQ sauce

Mix all ingredients together with fork or hands. Put mixture into an oblong casserole dish and bake for 45-55 minutes at 350*. Top with BBQ sauce when almost done.

jennielynn1970
09-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I wanted to post this recipe that my mom made yesterday when I was up at her house. I don't have any pics, but it was sooooo good!!! It's basically all made in a roasting pan in the oven. If you love chicken and love butternut squash, it's just amazingly good! It was from her monthly health newsletter.

Southwestern Roasted Chicken & Butternut Squash

In this recipe, the fatty skin is removed from the chicken and replaced with a spice crust, which keeps the meat moist and succulent. And roasting is an excellent technique for cooking the vegetables because it enhanced their natural sweetness and retains nutrients as well.

4 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 tsp. lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
? tsp. chili powder
? tsp. salt, or to taste, divided
freshly ground pepper to taste
21/2-3 ? lbs. bone-in chicken pieces
3 cups cubed (3/4 “ pieces)butternut squash
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into ? “ wedges(2 cups)
1 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley(optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Coat a large roasting pan(or large baking sheet with sides) with cooking spray. Mix 2 tsp. oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, paprika ,chili powder, 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper in a small bowl. Remove skin from chicken; trim fat. Rub chicken pieces with the spice mixture and place in the center of the roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine squash, onions, remaining 2 tsp. oil, 1/8 tsp. salt, and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. When chicken has roasted for 20 minutes, place the squash mixture in the roasting pan around the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, turning vegetables twice, 40 or more minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley, and serve with lime wedges.

My mom followed the recipe pretty closely the first time she made it, but found it took longer for the squash. She didn’t use lime wedges, and put the parsley on it when she added the squash to the chicken. She also used more squash and onions than suggested, and actually covered the chicken with it. Also, when she cuts up the cilantro and parsley (fresh) she freezes them first and then they chop up really easily!!

Sirrahsim
04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
My Mom and I were just talking about this thread so I thought that I'd bump it up and add my Baked Ziti :)
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/April094.jpg
RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
1/2 pound dried ziti
15 or 16 ounces ricotta cheese (part skim)
3 cups (or 12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
3 cups (or a 26-ounce jar) spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the ziti. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes, drain the pasta.

2. Place the ziti in a large bowl. Mix with the ricotta and half of the mozzarella. Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Spread half of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the pan. Add the ziti mixture and cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and the remaining mozzarella.

3. Bake uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, until the casserole bubbles on the edges.

Recipe borrowed from:http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50012

Medusa
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Ok you guys.....quite it!!! :) Your making me HUNGRY!!!

New Rule: if your going to post a pitcture of your supper, you have to send me a portion ;) since I don't cook!! :p

Ok, fork & knife - I'm ready....let's eat!!
I second that motion! Not only that, I think I gained weight just reading these recipes. (After menopause, it ain't that difficult, trust me.) YUM!

anna_66
04-26-2008, 11:24 AM
How about some breakfast food?

This morning I fixed buckwheat pancakes with lite syrup and turkey bacon.
Yummy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/P4260583.jpg

Rachel
04-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh, Anna, I love pancakes and turkey bacon. Need to put that on the grocery list for this week.

Jods
04-27-2008, 07:57 PM
OMG that Ziti looks soooooo good

anna_66
05-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I used my George Foreman to make a panini and it turned out great!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/P4280587.jpg

It was made of:

French Bread sprayed with canola oil
Ham
American Cheese
Spinach
Banana Peppers
Chipotle Cheddar Dressing

Add some Baked Cheetos...YUMMY!:D

sirrahbed
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
THAT is a beautiful panini, Anna! :D Out with the grill to do this TODAY! Isn't it amazing what some heat and stripes do to a simple sandwich? hmmm....maybe something with mango salsa.....hmmm.....

pitc9
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
WOW Anna... that Panini looks GREAT!!!!!! :eek:

Baked Ziti... ohhhhh... so good!
That's what I'm making for dinner tonight. I'm throwing in ground sweet italian sausage into it too!!