PDA

View Full Version : Mini - Huskies

Argranade
02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I was looking at random sites when I came across this .. http://www.minihuskies.net/index.php

They breed Mini - huskies, there so cute lol, I never knew you could get tiny huskies .. that's kinda weird.

critter crazy
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Here is what I found, it is a diferent type of breed. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskankleekai.htm

Giselle
02-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Mini-Huskies sound like selling gimmicks, IMO. That breeder, however, does not seem reputable in any way, so that may be part of why I hold miniature huskies in such bad light.

AKKs, on the other hand, are trying to become a legitimate breed from the breeders/handlers I've talked to, and I don't have terrible qualms with them.

cyber-sibes
02-25-2007, 11:39 PM
I've not heard of miniature siberians before. After looking at the sites, it does look like the mini-sibes come from pure siberian lines.

I've read a bit about the Klee-Klai. The site for the Alaskan Klee-Klai states that they have both Alaskan husky (which is not a true breed, it's a term used to describe any mixed-breed sled dog), and Siberian husky, along with a little American Eskimo. (Yesterday I read they also have some Schipperke in them)

I think you can see the mixed breed influence in the Klee-Kai pretty easily. Some of them look more like Pomeranians than huskies. (nothing wrong with that, just a different look)

The mini-sibes definitely look more like Siberians. Too bad they only have 1 pic of an adult. I think it's kind of weird that there is only 1 breeder of minis, which makes it sound like a marketing gimmick. (the puppies are $1,250 for a mini)

Glacier
02-26-2007, 01:08 AM
That site made me a little ill. There's no such thing as a minature husky. The "breeder" is simply trying to make a buck. Just being registered with the UCKC is a huge tip off--it's not a registry a reputable breeder would use! No legitimate registry would accept these dogs. (I'm assuming the site meant the Universal Kennel Club, which registers designer dogs and hybrids, not the UKC which is a legit group) Like there aren't enough huskies in rescue already! The last thing the husky world needs is a bunch of tiny ones running around.

The Klee Klai is a little different. Those breeders are trying to get recognition through the right channels as a breed. They are also very clear that their dogs are NOT minature Siberians. The Klee Klai has a completely different temperment than a Sibe. Most of them look husky-ish, but they act like nothing like them.

wombat2u2004
02-26-2007, 02:36 AM
I was looking at random sites when I came across this .. http://www.minihuskies.net/index.php

They breed Mini - huskies, there so cute lol, I never knew you could get tiny huskies .. that's kinda weird.

I think they wash them in hot water, and then they shrink.

cyber-sibes
02-26-2007, 07:56 AM
The Klee Klai is a little different. Those breeders are trying to get recognition through the right channels as a breed. They are also very clear that their dogs are NOT minature Siberians. The Klee Klai has a completely different temperment than a Sibe. Most of them look husky-ish, but they act like nothing like them.That's good to hear, because some of what I've read describes them as miniature sibes.

But about these so-called mini-sibes, in order to breed down in size, do they use the runts of each litter? Is that a genetically sound practice? With only 1 breeder-- who describes themselves as a "hobby" breeder (is this the same as a BYB?)--advertising mini-sibes, I wonder if the dogs have been heavily inbred?

I think they wash them in hot water, and then they shrink.LOL! You're too funny!

IRescue452
02-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Klee Klai breeders still have a lot of cleaning up to do if they are to make a breed standard for a dog that breeds true. But then again as a wroking breed enthusiast I don't really care for an army of clones making up each breed. Not so sure about them mini huskies though, all they have on the website are pictures of puppies.

Giselle
02-26-2007, 10:04 PM
That's good to hear, because some of what I've read describes them as miniature sibes.

But about these so-called mini-sibes, in order to breed down in size, do they use the runts of each litter? Is that a genetically sound practice? With only 1 breeder-- who describes themselves as a "hobby" breeder (is this the same as a BYB?)--advertising mini-sibes, I wonder if the dogs have been heavily inbred?
LOL! You're too funny!
The "method" they use for miniature huskies sounds the same as "miniature aussies". Breed the smallest to the smallest. In theory, after a certain amount of time, they become "miniature" but still purebred. I frankly don't care for either and I think they both do the "founding" breeds injustice.

wombat2u2004
02-27-2007, 03:33 AM
The "method" they use for miniature huskies sounds the same as "miniature aussies". Breed the smallest to the smallest. In theory, after a certain amount of time, they become "miniature" but still purebred. I frankly don't care for either and I think they both do the "founding" breeds injustice.

Hey Giselle !!!!
I may be a small Aussie, but I'm certainly not a miniature.
You just can't insult us lot because we don't have any water to make us grow big like you people.
I'm shaking my empty water bottle in anger !!!!!
Wombat

CathyBogart
03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I saw an AKK at the dog park when it first opened last year....what an adorable little dog. I didn't even realize people were trying to miniaturize huskies, why bother with the AKK around?

GreyhoundGirl
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I've heard of AKKs and they're great little dogs.

But... "mini huskies" OTOH...

My friend in agility has had her husky mix (basically a small husky) for years now. All of a sudden husky mixes are a breed? WTH?

I'll get a pic...