PDA

View Full Version : Jesus: Tales from the Crypt

ramanth
02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
http://time-blog.com/middle_east/2007/02/jesus_tales_from_the_crypt.html

Brace yourself. James Cameron, the man who brought you 'The Titanic' is back with another blockbuster. This time, the ship he's sinking is Christianity.

In a new documentary, Producer Cameron and his director, Simcha Jacobovici, make the starting claim that Jesus wasn't resurrected --the cornerstone of Christian faith-- and that his burial cave was discovered near Jerusalem. And, get this, Jesus sired a son with Mary Magdelene.

No, it's not a re-make of "The Da Vinci Codes'. It's supposed to be true.

Let's go back 27 years, when Israeli construction workers were gouging out the foundations for a new building in the industrial park in the Talpiyot, a Jerusalem suburb. of Jerusalem. The earth gave way, revealing a 2,000 year old cave with 10 stone caskets. Archologists were summoned, and the stone caskets carted away for examination. It took 20 years for experts to decipher the names on the ten tombs. They were: Jesua, son of Joseph, Mary, Mary, Mathew, Jofa and Judah, son of Jesua.

Israel's prominent archeologist Professor Amos Kloner didn't associate the crypt with the New Testament Jesus. His father, after all, was a humble carpenter who couldn't afford a luxury crypt for his family. And all were common Jewish names.

There was also this little inconvenience that a few miles away, in the old city of Jerusalem, Christians for centuries had been worshipping the empty tomb of Christ at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Christ's resurrection, after all, is the main foundation of the faith, proof that a boy born to a carpenter's wife in a manger is the Son of God.

But film-makers Cameron and Jacobovici claim to have amassed evidence through DNA tests, archeological evidence and Biblical studies, that the 10 coffins belong to Jesus and his family.

Ever the showman, (Why does this remind me of the impresario in another movie,"King Kong", whose hubris blinds him to the dangers of an angry and very large ape?) Cameron is holding a New York press conference on Monday at which he will reveal three coffins, supposedly those of Jesus of Nazareth, his mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. News about the film, which will be shown soon on Discovery Channel, Britain's Channel 4, Canada's Vision, and Israel's Channel 8, has been a hot blog topic in the Middle East (check out a personal favorite: Israelity Bites) Here in the Holy Land, Biblical Archeology is a dangerous profession. This 90-minute documentary is bound to outrage Christians and stir up a titanic debate between believers and skeptics. Stay tuned.
--Tim McGirk/Jerusalem

borzoimom
02-25-2007, 07:27 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.." Israel's prominent archeologist Professor Amos Kloner didn't associate the crypt with the New Testament Jesus. His father, after all, was a humble carpenter who couldn't afford a luxury crypt for his family. And all were common Jewish names."

momoffuzzyfaces
02-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Plus there is already a tomb with Mary in it ! I've seen pictures of it but can't remember where it's at right now.

Just another pile of hogwash proving to me the Bible is indeed true.
Mark 13:20 says (talking about the last days): and then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or Lo, he is there; Believe him not;
for false prophets shall rise and shall show signs and wonders to seduce, if it were possible even the elect

Besides, those names were as common as John and Mary today. Even if they got dna from people buried there, there is no way they can prove it was Jesus Christ.

Just someone trying to turn people away from their faith!!! :(

ps Mr. Cameron does not need to expect me to watch his hogwash!!!
Isn't it interesting that suddenly Cameron claims Jesus had a son? but the Divinci codes claim he had a daughter? :p

Pam
02-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Attacks on Christianity have been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years. It is really no surprise that this would be set to come out during Lent, the period preceding the holiest event on the Christian calendar. For those of us whose faith is strong we see it for what it is - pure deception. MOFF, you are so correct. These events are all signs of prophecy being fulfilled. I didn't watch or read the DaVinci code and I will certainly not watch this.

wombat2u2004
02-26-2007, 02:44 AM
MOFF wrote "" Just someone trying to turn people away from their faith!!! ""

I don't think Mr. Cameron cares a less about turning people away from their faith.
I think his main impetus here is money....nothing more, and nothing less.
His type will do simply anything to get it.
Wombat

joycenalex
02-26-2007, 06:02 AM
I don't think Mr. Cameron cares a less about turning people away from their faith.I think his main impetus here is money....nothing more, and nothing less.His type will do simply anything to get it.
Wombat
boy is that true. and the truly sad thing is that ALOT of people will give that fool their hard earned greenbacks....

JenBKR
02-26-2007, 08:08 AM
I agree with MOFF and Pam. That was the same verse I was thinking of too MOFF ;)

I agree with you too wombat, I think it all comes down to the almighty dollar, no matter what 'ship' he's trying to sink.

Argranade
02-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't get it,

I see all these shows where people have been injured there hole life then they just start walking and jumping around out of no where screaming (AMEN!) ... so is this not real or somthing? lol it seems hard to belive but from what I see on T.v it's not every day I crippled person gets healed in 123!

Isen't that enogh truth that faith is real and God is too?

Science blah blah blah, I don't belive this stuff is true, I mean anyone can switch DNA around for a story ...

momoffuzzyfaces
02-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I have to agree that I think money is behind lots of this. I hear Mr. Cameron has not been doing too well lately with several flops after Titanic.

It cracks me up that they say they have dna to PROVE this. Since there is no dna on record of Jesus or his family all they could Prove is that the people in the cript are or aren't related to each other.

I'll donate my dna and defy them to prove who I am with no dna taken from any of my relatives!!!! They just can't do it! :eek:

finn's mom
02-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I'll go see it, I'm sure. I saw the DaVinci Code and enjoyed it. It didn't affect my mind in any other way other than it was a couple of hours of a good film, well acted, well shot and well scripted. Anyone who goes into this a devout Christian and comes out of it doubting the Bible was just looking for a reason to do so, in my opinion. And, people who are confused have just as much right to have something to believe in as anyone who believes in the Bible, also my opinion. And, if it makes people think and discuss it and debate it, that's not *always* a bad thing, either.

I personally just see it as another film. I will be one who will more than likely pay six bucks to see it. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-26-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll go see it, I'm sure. I saw the DaVinci Code and enjoyed it. It didn't affect my mind in any other way other than it was a couple of hours of a good film, well acted, well shot and well scripted. Anyone who goes into this a devout Christian and comes out of it doubting the Bible was just looking for a reason to do so, in my opinion. And, people who are confused have just as much right to have something to believe in as anyone who believes in the Bible, also my opinion. And, if it makes people think and discuss it and debate it, that's not *always* a bad thing, either.

I personally just see it as another film. I will be one who will more than likely pay six bucks to see it. :)
Oh, you don't have to waste your money to see it. It will be shown March 4 (I think) on the Discovery channel. :D

finn's mom
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, you don't have to waste your money to see it. It will be shown March 4 (I think) on the Discovery channel. :D

Ah, then I probably won't see it. I never rembember when stuff is coming on tv. I missed the oscars last night!

Marigold2
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Is there any physical evidence that Jesus ever exsisted? I can't think of any. We have never found one piece of evidence that he existed except for the stories in the bible. By evidence I mean a cup, a cross, a garment, just stories someone put together which they call the bible. Nor have we found any evidence of Moses or others in the bible. Now don't get me wrong I do believe in Jesus but my friend doesn't. She asked me to show or tell her about a physical piece of evidence that showed proof, I could not come up with one. Can any one?

mike001
02-27-2007, 07:42 PM
There are a few items at the vatican. I only remember slivers of wood from the cross he carried and a cloth that someone wiped the sweat from his face and his image remained imprinted. I wish I could remember more...but is it really that important?
I prefer to believe that he does exist, otherwise what are we doing here? And I would prefer to believe that we do go to a better place when we die.
As far as the movie, I think it's just another attempt to destroy the faith of those who do believe.

Argranade
02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Is there any physical evidence that Jesus ever exsisted? I can't think of any. We have never found one piece of evidence that he existed except for the stories in the bible. By evidence I mean a cup, a cross, a garment, just stories someone put together which they call the bible. Nor have we found any evidence of Moses or others in the bible. Now don't get me wrong I do believe in Jesus but my friend doesn't. She asked me to show or tell her about a physical piece of evidence that showed proof, I could not come up with one. Can any one?

I don't understand this but like I said, people are getting healed out of no where on the christian chanel, if that's not enough to make someone belive than I don't know what is.

I mean there have been SO many true stories out there that prove there is somthing out there which I belive is God, angels, spirits and devils.

Belive it or not, this one family moved into a house with bad spirits, things kept getting moved around and smashed on the floor, so one day somthing happned and they wanted to move out .. when the man ran to the car somthing scratched his back when he opened the door, there was nothing seen behind him but when his wife checked his back there where deep scratches on it with some blood.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Yep. In a book called The Genesis Factor by Yacov Rambsel, he mentions a book called : The Archko Volume written in 1887 by Rev. W. D. Mahan. Rev Mahan went in seach for written evidence of Jesus. He went to the Vatican in Rome, Italy and to Constantinople, Turkey.

Among many writings, he found a letter written on a papyrus scroll to Caesar by Pontius Pilate dated about 31 A.D. following the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
Excerts from this letter are in the book The Genesis Factor. It includes Pilates description of Jesus, Pilates first meeting with Jesus, Pilates describtion of the mob at the crucifixion and the noise and darkness at Golgotha.

Pilate also quotes Ben Isham, a sentry at the tomb during the resurection.
It gave me chills reading that description!

Also, the Muslim's Holy book talks of Jesus and his Mother Mary too, I believe. There are several historians from that period who mention him too.

Also, the Vatican has a peace of wood that is supposed to have been from the cross and somewhere in Germany, there is a spear that is to be the one that pierced his side. Rumor has it, one of the nails from his hands or feet is encased now in the handle.

Marigold2
02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I do believe in Jesus always have, and I believe that he died on the cross for my sins. However proof of Jesus being a man there is, proof of his being a God there isn't. He could have been a man, with a good true heart who spoke to the people and gave them hope in a horrible time. People have always prayed to a God, be it a sun good, or a rain God. We need that, need to know that there is something beyond us, beyond this life, someone or something that can lead us, save us, heal us. There has never been a culture on this earth that didn't have their God or Gods. Was Jesus the sun of God, is there even a God, no one really knows for sure, we can only hope?

Argranade do you really believe that these faith healers have magical powers and heal people on TV? If they can do this, why don't they go to the cancer ward of any childrens hospital and heal those children. Why have I never seen one of these people in a hospital proforming ANY work? They certaintly want money. What need does a true healer of God have of money, he can proform miracles let him make money appear by magic.

Argranade
02-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Argranade do you really believe that these faith healers have magical powers and heal people on TV? If they can do this, why don't they go to the cancer ward of any childrens hospital and heal those children. Why have I never seen one of these people in a hospital proforming ANY work? They certaintly want money. What need does a true healer of God have of money, he can proform miracles let him make money appear by magic.

No they don't have magical powers, the people do.

It's not magic but faith that's healing these people, those stand up people are only trying to make other people belive in God by laying there hands on there heads and saying you are healed, but if you listen there saying 'Do you belive?'' ... it's the faith in the people that is healing them selfs.

I don't realy understand whats going on but I do belive people are getting healed by there faith.

If you don't have enough faith miracles won't happen for you, no matter how much you cry or beg into the heavens.

The flesh is strong but the mind is weak.

If you want God to help you .. ask what you can do to help him first.

You don't have to be rich or poor to have a miracle happen to you, all you need is faith but even then that can't always be enough .... life is life & you just have to deal with it. The sick, blind & crippled people are put on this earth for a reason .. it's not Gods mistakes because God does not make mistakes as he is perfect.

wombat2u2004
02-28-2007, 04:41 AM
........check out this great bunch of Aussie kids.
Errrrrrrrr....no comment on the fake halo please....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwN3rSrvaE

JenBKR
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Yep. In a book called The Genesis Factor by Yacov Rambsel, he mentions a book called : The Archko Volume written in 1887 by Rev. W. D. Mahan. Rev Mahan went in seach for written evidence of Jesus. He went to the Vatican in Rome, Italy and to Constantinople, Turkey.

Among many writings, he found a letter written on a papyrus scroll to Caesar by Pontius Pilate dated about 31 A.D. following the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
Excerts from this letter are in the book The Genesis Factor. It includes Pilates description of Jesus, Pilates first meeting with Jesus, Pilates describtion of the mob at the crucifixion and the noise and darkness at Golgotha.

Pilate also quotes Ben Isham, a sentry at the tomb during the resurection.
It gave me chills reading that description!

I never knew about that - now I want to read it! Especially coming from Pilate.....

momoffuzzyfaces
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
I never knew about that - now I want to read it! Especially coming from Pilate.....
I got my copy from Amazon.com. It's really a book about the Bible codes and Ramsel's research in them. The info about Pilate was just one surprise! :D