PDA

View Full Version : Moxie has double fangs -*UPDATE 3/1 - they're gone*

jazzcat
02-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Last night Moxie was in my lap and yawned and it blew my mind. She has a set of two canine teeth "fangs" on each side of her upper jaw. I did some research and discovered it's called "retained deciduous teeth". It's when the baby tooth doesn't fall out and it is in the socket along side the adult tooth. It can cause a lot of dental problems so the baby teeth will have to be extracted under anethesia.

I took a picture but haven't uploaded it yet. Here is a link to a website with a picture of a cat with this problem. It looks very much like Moxie except Moxie doesn't have the red gums and her teeth are much smaller.
Double Fangs (http://www.messybeast.com/freak-misc.htm)

Moxie was spayed on Feb. 7th and the vet checked her mouth because I noticed she has stinky breath. At that time the vet said she was behind in getting her adult teeth (she is almost 6 months old and very small) but everything looked fine so that means these teeth just grew in during the past two weeks.

Great. :rolleyes: Now my little girl will have to be put under again after just having her spay and tumor removal a couple of weeks ago. Poor little girl.

Killearn Kitties
02-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Poor little Moxie! I've never heard of baby teeth not coming out. Poor Baby.
Hope all goes well when they remove them.

CathyBogart
02-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Cupcake had the same thing, but the day she was going to go in for surgery, I heppened to be handling her mouth to get a bit of string out and I pressed on the "extra" teeth a bit and they both popped out. They weren't rooted in, just sitting there. It was wierd, but I was relieved she didn't have to go under again.

Randi
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Oh, I hope it doesn't hurt that she has two sets. Good she'll get them out. :) Have you tried pushing the extra ones gently to see if they're loose?

Fister could use those, he had one of his out, and the other one is broken.

Good luck when she goes to the vet!

jenluckenbach
02-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Moxie says "All zee better to bite you vith! :D

But I sure hope they will come out by themselves before a surgery.

krazyaboutkatz
02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Lori, I'm sorry to hear this and hopefully they'll fall out on their own so she won't need more surgery.:( My RB Pepper also had a similar problem when he was a kitten. He had very stinky breath and I noticed that his baby tooth was still in his mouth even though his adult tooth was coming in. It fell out on it's own sometime during the next few days so he didn't have to see the vet. Hopefully this will happen with Moxie too.:)

Laura's Babies
02-25-2007, 03:49 PM
That is such a odd thing to hear about in a cat! Never heard that before.

BUT, now get this... My daughter Rie (age 40ish) that posts on here from time to time, never lost her baby teeth and neither did her twin brother . He died at the age of 17 with his baby teeth. Rie still has hers but had those lumineers (?) put on them. She never did grow in her permanent teeth and I reckon she will die with her baby teeth. Never heard of it in a human until then and now in a cat!

catmandu
02-25-2007, 05:41 PM
We Are Praying That Moxies Teeth Come Out Normally Without Surgery And That She Doesnt Have To Go Through All That Stress.

momcat
02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Poor Moxie! I've never heard of anything like this before, is Moxie eating with no problem? Above all, I pray that Moxie has no pain or discomfort. Please let us know how all this works out?

jazzcat
02-26-2007, 11:01 AM
She has had no trouble eating but she's had stinky breath all along and I've noticed it's been a little worse lately. I tried pushing on them last night and nothing seems loose. In fact I'm not certain which is the baby and which is the adult tooth because they are about identical in size.

We have an appointment at 2:30 today to let the vet check it out. Hopefully they will pop out for her and no surgery will be needed. Finger crossed!

Richard proclaimed last night that I should have left her name "Trouble" because it fits her to a T.

Medusa
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh darn! Poor Moxie! We'll keep those candles burning so that, if he does need surgery, it'll go smoothly and he'll be w/out pain.

Blessings,
Mary

jazzcat
02-26-2007, 03:29 PM
UPDATE: The vet wants to wait a month to see if the baby teeth will fall out and if not they will put Moxie under and remove them. The vet said that it's rare to have to remove cat's baby teeth, they almost always fall out on their own. She thinks Moxie is just late bloomer.

Moxie is 6 months old now and weighs 4 pounds 14 ounces.

Here is the best picture I could get. See the two canine teeth? The one in front is the adult tooth. Her other side looks the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2007/cc5-1.jpg

Laura's Babies
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
So she has a month for them to fall out on their own. Lets hope they do! That would sure be easier on her.

Kalei
02-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Prayers coming Moxies way, I hope your baby teeth fall out soon:)

Medusa
02-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh good! I've never had to pray that a cat's teeth will fall out, so this is a new one for me. LOL Seriously, though, let's hope they fall out on their own so Moxie doesn't need surgery.

Blessings,
Mary

jazzcat
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
If I had just waited a few days I could have saved myself the $30 office visit. :rolleyes: The two extra canine teeth fell out sometime today. I don't know if she swallowed them or if I will find a toothy surprise somewhere in the house. At least her stinky breath is better now.

I'm very happy she won't have to be put under again! :)

kt_luvs_kitties
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I am so glad that she lost them on her own. Penny had hers until she was 6 months old as well. I just kept pushing on them, trying to loosen them up. I ended up pulling one and then the other came out a week later.
Please give her a big kiss from me, and now your mind can be at ease :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Lori, thanks for the great update.:) I'm so glad that they fell out on their own.:) My RB Pepper's did the same thing. The vet I used at the time was only open until about 2pm on Sat. and closed on Sun. so I was waiting until they opened on Mon. By Mon. his canine baby teeth fell out and I actually found them in my bedroom. I guess this is more common than you thought.

orangemm
03-02-2007, 03:50 AM
If you find them, I suppose a visit from the Feline Tooth Fairy will be in order? ;) :D

Oh boy, treats under the pillow!!

Medusa
03-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Well, you didn't know and you did the safe thing by making sure. I would've done the same thing if I didn't know what was going on. Is Moxie checking under her pillow for a new toy that the tooth fairy left?

Blessings,
Mary

critter crazy
03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Yay!! good for Moxie!! you just saved your Meowmie tons of worry time!!

jenluckenbach
03-04-2007, 07:40 PM
That is excellent news (about NO surgery) but you are right......don't they always get "better" right AFTER the vet visit? :rolleyes:

kimlovescats
03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh Lori, that is great news! She must have heard what was coming, and got Decker to yank them for her! :D