PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Horses?

Freedom
02-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Last evening I watched the Horse Sports Cup II on Animal Planet. I learned that I know very little about horses.

Some were identified as thoroughbreds. What kind of thorough bred? I mean, a dog isn't a pedigree, it is a pedigree collie, or a pedigree yorkie. So I didn't understand that.

A quarter horse? I thought that was a type of gait, te hee. Obviously wrong.

Dutch cold blood? Warm blood?

The commentators considered a 7 year old VERY young for the competition. Most were 9 or older. So then I realized I don't know the life span of a horse.

I DO know you measure a horse to the shoulder, like a dog, and you measure in "hands," though I don't know whose hand is the standard or how big it is.

Please don't get TOO technical, or you will lose me again. But I would like to understand more about them.

Thanks for your time and info!
Sandra

areias
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Last evening I watched the Horse Sports Cup II on Animal Planet. I learned that I know very little about horses.

Some were identified as thoroughbreds. What kind of thorough bred? I mean, a dog isn't a pedigree, it is a pedigree collie, or a pedigree yorkie. So I didn't understand that.

A quarter horse? I thought that was a type of gait, te hee. Obviously wrong.

Dutch cold blood? Warm blood?

The commentators considered a 7 year old VERY young for the competition. Most were 9 or older. So then I realized I don't know the life span of a horse.

I DO know you measure a horse to the shoulder, like a dog, and you measure in "hands," though I don't know whose hand is the standard or how big it is.

Please don't get TOO technical, or you will lose me again. But I would like to understand more about them.

Thanks for your time and info!
Sandra

A Thoroughbred is a breed, they are the "racehorses". Just like Collie is a breed. :)

Quarter Horse is a breed also. It is what you see mostly doing ranch work, rodeos, barrel racing, working cows. The name comes from them racing them a quarter of a mile-they are very fast sprinters!

"Dutch Warmblood" is a breed too. Now, Warmbloods and Coldbloods are two different types of horse. Coldbloods are draft-type horses, usually very calm. Warmbloods are everything else (Quarter Horses, etc), and Hotbloods and only Thoroughbreds and Arabians.

Lifespan of a horse...normally at least 25, I've known horses that are 40 and doing great. Somewhere around 30 I would guess is where it tops out. The more rigorous a horses life is...say top competition jumpers, broodmares, stuff that takes a toll on a horses body, the earlier their lifespan is.

And it is 4inches a hand. So if it is a 14 hand horse, it is 56 inches at the shoulder. If the height is 14.2, you add two inches, to make it 58. If it is 14.1, the height is 57 inches. And so on. :) There is no such thing (and people will argue with you :rolleyes: ) as 14.4 or 14.5. That would actually make it 15hh and 15.1 hh. If people are giving you that measurement, well, they've never measured the horse. :D
I hope that answers your questions!!

Freedom
02-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, thank you for all the info. I understand a bit better now.

The show was very interesting to watch, I just didn't understand a lot.

Thanks again.

Ceph
02-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Just to add to what Areias had to say, warmbloods were bred to be war horses. Most originated from a mixture of light (Thoroughbred and Arabs) and heavy (draft) horses. They are typically very powerful and have alot of stamina. When they stopped really using horses for war people realized that they made very good sporting horses, which is why they are so popular today. Most warmbloods have very open registries...they can be out crossed to other approved stallions in other registries...and I think some also approve other breeds such as Anglo Arabians, Selle Francais, and thorougbreds. :)

Suki Wingy
02-26-2007, 02:42 AM
yes, thoroughbreds and arabs are considered "hot blood" so warmbloods are a cross between hot and cold blood. I really meant to watch or tape that too but I worked 8 hours Sat. and watched my sisters afterwards, Sunday I was at IKC (giand benched dog show) from 8:30 til 5, when I fell asleep til 10 and now it's 2:30 am and I'm taking a break from homework. :rolleyes: