PDA

View Full Version : A Pet Horder

Laura's Babies
02-24-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6134396

Mike has been asked to go help pull the cats put of this house tomorrow. All the local Baton Rouge rescue orginazations are going to pull as many cats and dogs out of here as they can and try to save them before Animal Control goes in. He has asked me to go but I don't know if I could stand to actually see it but he is going to take pictures and everyone is going to try to get these animals on the web to see if we can find people to help by taking them in or doing whatever they can to help..

Anyone who can, please post this in as many places on the internet as you can... If you wish to help, please contact;

Animal Protection And Welfare Society- A.P.A.W.S
P.O. Box 40981
Baton Rouge, La 70835
Phone: 225-343-0303or e-mail [email protected]

Edited to add... Emily is in charge of this and anyone wanting to help foster, donate or adopt may call her at (225) 355-4606 Any and all help is needed.

***If Emily dosen"t answer the phone, leave her a message. She works 2 jobs and helps APAWS but she will return your call!

Freedom
02-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Aw, I'm so glad to hear someone is going to help those animals. They didn't ask for this situation. If you go, you could be on the outside, moving the carriers and loading them in to cars and vans, and never go inside, perhaps? Anyway, let us know how many cats and dogs they find in there if you can! Best wishes to these rescue workers, helping out.

Laura's Babies
02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Mike called with a update. He said they have pulled 20 cats out as of right now, Pet Smart vets are taking about 10 to treat and get healthy. He said there are about 60 cats total in the house, most were born in that house. He said all the dogs have been taken out already, all but one pit bull that the rescue group wouldn't take so they have called a pit bull rescue to see if they will take the dog. One rescuer said this pitt bull is the sweetiest dog in of the bunch.

He is on his way to pick up a trailor to load all the cages, crates and kennels on and he will be the one transporting them to where ever they are to go. He said sometime today, he will get back to me with the name and number of the contact person in charge of this effort and pictures to post. Remember to post on as many places as you can about this.

catmandu
02-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Thats the one thing that scares me is that I will get so senile to take care of my Cats properly and they will suffer.
This is nothing sadder than a group of sad terrified animals sick and hungry and needing someone to love.There was a house in Hamilton that had over 100 and most had to be PTS.
And they give our proper Multi Cat homes a bad name.
We are praying for those poor Pets.

Laura's Babies
02-25-2007, 09:39 PM
The woman who was hording these cats and dogs is/was a lawyer. Mike said she is going through some kind of crisis in her life right now and it sounds like she must be on some pretty strong medication.

ALL the animals are gone from that property and they even had people come start cleaning the filth out of the house. It was a very long busy day but they got it done! Mike delivered a cat to one place that had offered to foster it and when the man saw the cat, he fell in love and asked Mike WHO he had to see or tell, he wanted to keep/adopt the cat. AWPAWS gets credit for a job well done, Spay Baton Rouge is calling all the vets tomorrow to get as many of them spayed/neutered as they can find doctors to do asap. It was 60 cats and 4 to 6 dogs.

Any offers to help in any way will not be turned down, coupons for cat food donations, food, any supplies, money, fosters, adoptees. To say they are swamped would be a understatement.

Freedom
02-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Oh those poor kitties! Well, they are on the road to health and happiness now, we hope. I have my hands full with 7, how did she ever manage 60????

Thanks for the updates, Laura.

Laura's Babies
02-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Animal control is suppose to come by this morning and check the house. ANY animals they find, they will take.. that is why there was a rush to get them all out. And if they had found any, they were calling the city to come condem the house because of the filth and the lady would no longer be able to live there so it was a two fold situation because she would have lost her home too.

I think it is wonderful that all those people pitched in to help the animals and the lady. Mike did not get in until around 9 last night and he still has to go do some transporting today when he gets off of work.

Mike said the amonia in the house was so bad that they are concerned about the cats breathing it in and the damage it may have done to their noses, lungs and just their general health. The lady has nosebleeds from breathing it. Someone told them that amonia will eat away at the soft tissue in the noses and can caurse a lot of problems. It sounds like it was a really bad situation and the only good part of it all was she did not keep them in cages, they had free run of the house.