PDA

View Full Version : NHL Rant

sparks19
02-24-2007, 08:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL I know this is a wierd place to post this since there aren't many nhl fans on here but I am just so frustrated right now.

For those of you that DO follow the NHL.... anyone been watching the Sensw games this year? Anyone pay any attention to Chris Neil? That guy is a PUNK...... PERIOD. I have been watching him through out this season. that guy is a hazard and nothing else.

Now don't get me wrong. there is always a place for a Goon on any team. In fact, I encourage a Goon to do what he is supposed to.... protect his players.... get the blood flowing... revv up the game. But this is NOT what Neil does.

So many times this year I have watched this d!ckhead take cheap shots and cheap hits at unsuspecting players. Now he has finally hurt someone pretty badly and he is still out head hunting in the game he is playing in tonight.

it is one thing to man up and challenge another player face to face.... or even to lay a good hit on a guy. but what Neil has done is absolutely unacceptable and I am disgusted with the NHL for not taking action on this. It is unacceptable to go at a guy from behind or any vantage point in which you KNOW the player you are about to hit cannot see you and attempt to brace himself. Neil laid a hit on Chris Drury thursday night.... he came at him AFTER the play.... and hit him at the side after coming at him from behind. it was a clear HEAD shot. There is no excuse for any kind of shot to the head EVER.

Now everytime Neil is on the ice he is laying cheap hits and/or taking stupid roughing and fighting penalties. THIS guy is hurting his team with his stupid behaviour and he is hurting other players. it is one thing to be a goon but this guy has been quoted saying "I go out and hurt people.... that's what I do" and before this game tonight he was quoted saying "If we get a lead in this game I am going to unload and start taking guys out" Now I don't know about you but as an NHL fan this is very discouraging and if Brian Murray has any respect for the game, the league and the players he would sit Neils sorry a$$.

This is sadly reminiscent of the behaviour of one Todd Bertuzzi that resulted in the unfortunate incident with Steve Moore a few years ago. The NHL needs to take a stand against this type of behaviour. this guy is NOT a goon... he is a headhunter and nothing else. One of two thingsd is going to happen to this guy.... he is either going to seriously seriously injure someone.... or someone is going to get sick of his crap and end his career.

and even though no one on this site really cares I'm sure lol....I feel much better getting that off my chest. There is no room in this sport for a menace like Chris Neil. It shows disrespect for the league, disrespect for the players.... and disrespect to the fans that support this league.

smokey the elder
02-25-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree. I think one reason hockey has declined in popularity is because it's gotten so dirty. I loved hockey when I was in college (RPI won the NCAA in 1985) and followed the Devils for awhile, but it's hard to find on TV since the latest strike. The NHL is its own worst enemy.

sparks19
02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree. I think one reason hockey has declined in popularity is because it's gotten so dirty. I loved hockey when I was in college (RPI won the NCAA in 1985) and followed the Devils for awhile, but it's hard to find on TV since the latest strike. The NHL is its own worst enemy.

It really is not the same as it used to be. And in all honesty, I don't mind the fighting ON ICE. It prevents problems like the NBA is having..... Players who can't deal with it on the court are now out shooting other players and fans (apparently this happened at the recent all star game) and this behaviour is all too common in these sports. NHL doesn't have that problem because they are "allowed" to have a go on the ice. I have no problem with fisticuffs now and then. it really serves it's purpose.... but when guy like this is going out and taking cheap shots just to hurt someone.... that is where I draw the line. I have no issue with a face to face disagreement. but when you are cheap shotting a player from behind that is unacceptable.

But it really has gotten better. There are heftier penalties for fighting so it does not go unpunished. It is a much faster game now.... it really has become about talent and not so much about laying the biggest hit. Teams that are still playing the OLD style are not doing well. Look at the Flyers. They are the same bruiser team they always have been.... they are also last in the league. They are learning the hard way that THAT style doesn't work anymore. Speed wins.

But this guy Neil is taking it too far and Bettman NEEDS to step up and do something about him.... NOW or someone else will and it won't be pretty.

dab_20
02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Although I don't watch NHL games too often, I am a hockey player and love the sport. From what you said this guy is NOT a true hockey player. He is just out to hurt people to get wins. That's not what hockey is about... it's about having fun and doing your best. He sounds like a pretty aggresive guy... he should probably be kicked off his team.

sparks19
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Although I don't watch NHL games too often, I am a hockey player and love the sport. From what you said this guy is NOT a true hockey player. He is just out to hurt people to get wins. That's not what hockey is about... it's about having fun and doing your best. He sounds like a pretty aggresive guy... he should probably be kicked off his team.

he needs to be removed from the league. He is taking away the spirit in which the game is played. I honestly don't even know if he is doing it to win because his behaviour often leads to a loss. I just think he is a bully.... he enjoys just going out and knocking guys around.

My dad and I were talking about this today LOL he kept telling me "calm down... he will get his one day" Which is true. The league isn't taking any steps to stop this guys behaviour. Eventually someone is going to have enough and they are going to end his career. The sad part is the person that does finally take matters into their own hands will suffer more than the person who deserves it.

The NHL is cracking down on all these guys laying hits to the head when it is totally unintentional (take Chara for example.... the guy is 7 feet tall.... anyone he touches is gonna get at least part of Chara's body to the head. And that isn't really his fault) but they let this guy's behaviour slide and now his victim (Chris Drury) is in hospital with 20 stitches in his head and a concussion. All he is doing is gunning for the most talented player on the ice at the time..... which is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

LOL I will stop talking for now LOL I could go on about this for ever.