PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Cavachon?

Freedom
02-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks to Pet Talk, I have discovered "craigslist." Last week I picked up 2 doggie beds, almost brand new, and FREE!

Yesterday, on the RI Pet section, someone posted they are looking for a "cavachon." Needless to say, I had to look.

They have a 6 year old boy and he wants a "brother or sister." So they want to get him a puppy, and they want to know about local breeders of cavachons = Cavalier King Charles spaniel / bichon frise mix.

Is this one of those "designer dogs," a passing trend??? I REALLY want to direct these people to rescue groups, but I thought I'd run this past PT'ers first.

Sandra

borzoimom
02-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks to Pet Talk, I have discovered "craigslist." Last week I picked up 2 doggie beds, almost brand new, and FREE!

Yesterday, on the RI Pet section, someone posted they are looking for a "cavachon." Needless to say, I had to look.

They have a 6 year old boy and he wants a "brother or sister." So they want to get him a puppy, and they want to know about local breeders of cavachons = Cavalier King Charles spaniel / bichon frise mix.

Is this one of those "designer dogs," a passing trend??? I REALLY want to direct these people to rescue groups, but I thought I'd run this past PT'ers first.

Sandra
GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY.. I am so glad my mother can't read these posts- she would have had a stroke! And YES- it is a "designer breed", and people like Elizabeth Spalding ( one of the original people that brought the cavalier to the states) is probably turning over in her grave- ..

delidog
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
What is "Craigslist"???

lizbud
02-24-2007, 10:29 AM
What is "Craigslist"???

It is an online place for free classified ads for just about anything.
Although I've never used it myself, a lot of people look for things to buy
or sell there. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist

cyber-sibes
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
"cavachons" = Cavalier King Charles spaniel / bichon frise mix. Is this one of those "designer dogs," a passing trend???It sure sounds like one, Sandra. They make up those cutsie-names for what is basically a mut, and charge outrageous prices for it. I think directing them to a shelter/rescue is a GREAT idea. They may actually be better off with a dog who may already have some basic training, especially with having a six-yr. old handling it. Puppies can be a great deal more challenging. Good luck with it.

Freedom
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks all. I posted a reply, gave them some info, asked some questions, told them about Pet Talk, and a few other things. I hope they get more info before getting a dog.

For craigslist, I go to:

www.craigslist.org

Now, you can look at EVERYTHING (no way!) or click on your state. IF you are in a big state, the next screen lets you pick your area.

THEN you are at the menu. There are discussion forums, items for sale, job listings, all sorts of stuff. Unfortunately, I keep looking at "pets," and getting upset with all the homeless animals.

It must have been the cat section which had all this posted, about 2 weeks ago, and I got into it.

Sandra

Sophist
02-24-2007, 03:23 PM
I have only heard Cavachon once, and for some reason I think it was supposed to be a Cavalier/Papillion mix... looked just like a deer-headed longhaired chihuahua to me. But I dunno... I am not as knowledgeable about toy breeds and toy mixes as other dogs (it was in a pet store, I was looking for finch supplies).

I LOVE Craigslist, I score free books off of it all the time, and have saved myself to trouble of hauling a few couches and old microwaves to the dump or second hand store there. However, I also police the pet section like mad. Lots of sad ads on there, and people who can use and will hopefully listen to a little advice.

areias
02-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I love craigslist also-great finds on there, I think I paid $30 for a large double-door collapsible crate, brand new. I do see a lot of posts that make me cringe-someone trying to give away a 15 year old cat the other day. :rolleyes: A lot of people looking for "poo" crosses. And yes, Cavachon is a designer breed.

IRescue452
02-24-2007, 07:11 PM
We were hoping to get a collie on craigslist yesterday but the person never left contact info. I sent a note, via craigslist services, saying they need to add info, but they never did. I'm so disappointed. Finally a dog my mom wants and we don't have contact info.

mike001
02-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Just my opinion but I would never support a designer breed. We have enough dogs to choose from without mixing all these tiny breeds and creating health issues. It really makes me wonder why people can't just be happy with the present dogs. As the health issues worsen some of these breeds will just disappear.
I'm a shepherd enthusiast and I'm not too happy with the designer "panda shepherds" who don't even look like shepherds...and now we have the tri colour shepherd.

borzoimom
02-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Just my opinion but I would never support a designer breed. We have enough dogs to choose from without mixing all these tiny breeds and creating health issues. It really makes me wonder why people can't just be happy with the present dogs. As the health issues worsen some of these breeds will just disappear.
I'm a shepherd enthusiast and I'm not too happy with the designer "panda shepherds" who don't even look like shepherds...and now we have the tri colour shepherd.
The problem I have with the pandas, is that its a mix of subdominant colors together. They are asking for problems later. You can get a white out of any color breeding or a black- but both colors are subdominant. Whites bred to whites are pure and solid or black to black- but mixed doesn't work! Both the white and the black have different dominants- and also different sub dominants- that means -- you will either have beautiful puppies, or a genetic NIGHTMARE!

borzoimom
02-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Sandra
Freedom- those two breeds would be a total mess- Cavaliers have a silk coat that needs combing on the ears and skirt- add the bichon that doesnt shed but continues to grow the coat- .. good grief. Both breeds can have elbows, hip problems, HEARTS, AND autoimmune- and they just doubled it. And NO DESIGNER BREEDER IS GOING to use good ones of the breed- but whatever they can throw in the back yard..

Freedom
02-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Te hee, all right already, folks! It is not ME who wants the designer breed!!! I wanted to redirect these people, and I hope I have done that, giving them things to think about (problems, lack of testing and no knowledge of the hereditary issues), and positives (rescue org links) and places to get more info ( Pet Talk!) I didn't think it was a good idea either!

I WAS wondering what the heck the coat would be like, and all I could come up with was "A MESS!" But I didn't tell them that, ha ha.