PDA

View Full Version : Callling all Californians...

Laura's Babies
02-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I wanted to ask if anyone can answer a question.. When traveling into California from Florida, can you bring fresh fruit into the state? My sister was told they could not take Florida or Louisiana fresh fruit across the state line. She only is taking fruit for them to eat on the way... nothing extra...

Daisy and Delilah
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't see why not. They won't be passing through customs. No one will ever really know what they have in the car ;)

caseysmom
02-23-2007, 11:12 PM
When I cross state line from Nevada they never check but I am really not sure, I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

kitten645
02-23-2007, 11:22 PM
California fruit (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/summary.htm)

Check this site. Looks to me like you can't bring in fruit but it's not really enforced. I know it is checked at international airports but I've never had any issue otherwise.

Sophist
02-24-2007, 01:29 AM
I think if you are flying in, anything the airport finds they are gonna confiscate just on policy/paranoia.

If you are driving, you could have a trunk full of cocaine bricks, and we'd never know it. :rolleyes:

cmayer31
02-24-2007, 04:43 AM
You're not supposed to, but if you're in a car they will never check. I've driven in and out of the state and unless you're stopped by highway patrol or a border checkpoint, there's five here in San Diego, they will never know. If they are flying then it may be a different story and I'd check with the airline that they are booked on.

Daisy and Delilah
02-24-2007, 08:52 AM
With further research......I have learned that I don't get out much ;) I have gone out west but never got asked by anybody about anything. I guess there are checkpoints.

I assumed they were driving and just figured no one would "really" be checking their car. Good question. I've learned something new :)

RedHedd
02-24-2007, 12:03 PM
If it's the law and there are restrictions, it doesn't matter if "no one will check." It's illegal, so don't do it. Better safe than sorry. Besides, we have terrific fruit here in California.

gini
02-24-2007, 01:17 PM
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cletheroe/usa_can/ca/fruit.htm

Here is more information for you. It is the pesky fruit fly we are afraid of that could ruin crops here. Millions of dollars have been spent in containing it.

Because of the seriousness of it California asks everyone to respect the law. It is just the decent thing to do.

Sophist
02-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Pointing out the lack of enforcement is different than saying "Do it! Break the law! We'll let you sit at the popular table! Bring me some guavas while you are at it!"

She did specify they just wanted to be extra sure, and were only planning on bringing fruit to eat during the trip here.

We're just saying it may be the law, but if there are a couple grapes left on the stem that she didn't remember pull off the interstate to throw out in Nevada, she won't rot in the state prison for a decade because of it.

CathyBogart
02-24-2007, 04:16 PM
My friends regularly drive out of the state to pick up ferrets and bring them back in and nobody has ever checked for them, so I don't think fruit would be a problem.

Sophist
02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
My friends regularly drive out of the state to pick up ferrets and bring them back in and nobody has ever checked for them, so I don't think fruit would be a problem.

Eep! Naughty!

:D

Now domesticated animals establishing breeding colonies that can out-compete native species IS a big problem. Tsk Tsk. I wag my finger.

(just making sure no one thinks I am encouraging lawlessness).

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Randomly they do check. Especially if they think you are moving households. We learned about this when we moved to California. Our movers would not take any houseplants and warned us not to take any plant matter.

There was an inspection station at Needles.

And...btw...those grape stems could very well have larvae on them. Amusing...unless you are in the agriculture business!