PDA

View Full Version : Prince Harry

mike001
02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I was reading , then later watched it on the news....it seems that Prince Harry will be going to Iraq? wouldn't that pose a serious risk in more ways than one? Take for example if he were taken prisoner? I know he'll be going with a fortress of bodyguards and all kinds of protection, but....things happen. Wonderin how everyone felt about it?

Sophist
02-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Also, I am far less concerned about some psuedo-celebrity going to Iraq than I am the two brothers, brother in law, and various friends I have had and/or currently have over there.

High-profile people have gone over before to visit and entertain the troops, drum up publicity, do reports, etc.

ChrisH
02-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Not really the right spot for this.
Also, I am far less concerned about some psuedo-celebrity going to Iraq than I am the two brothers, brother in law, and various friends I have had and/or currently have over there.
High-profile people have gone over before to visit and entertain the troops, drum up publicity, do reports, etc.
I understand, but I have to take issue with you here in regard to Prince Harry. He is a member of the Armed forces and is going there to do his job, his duty, just as any other British soldier is, in fact just as the people you write about are. I am sure his mother, family and friends are as concerned about him as you are about your family & friends.
The fact that he is a member of the Royal family will not protect him from a bullet or a bomb.

btw. just so you know, I am not a big fan of Royalty by any means, I just admire Harry & his family for not using his rank to avoid his serving out there.

mike001
02-24-2007, 11:58 AM
You're right ChrisH...I never thought of that, but I guess it would have been possible to avoid getting involved, and as you say, he'll be just as vulnerable as the others. We have friends out there too, but I am sympatheic to all, not just our friends. But being Royal fans out here, I was curious about the whole thing.

ChrisH
02-24-2007, 12:21 PM
mike001, this is a piece from the BBC news site about Harry's deployment that may interest you.

Prince Harry will serve in Iraq
Prince Harry's regiment is to be sent to Iraq for a six-month tour of duty, defence officials have confirmed. Harry would carry out "a normal troop commander's role" serving with his Blues and Royals regiment, they said.

The prince was praised by Prime Minister Tony Blair as a "brave and determined young man" with "a very special character".

He will be the first senior royal to serve on the front line since Prince Andrew in the Falklands in 1982.
This will involve "leading a troop of 12 men in four Scimitar armoured reconnaissance vehicles, each with a crew of three" from the regiment's "A squadron", a joint statement from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Clarence House said.
"The decision to deploy him has been a military one, made by Chief of General Staff, Gen Sir Richard Dannatt, in conjunction with Cornet Wales' commanding officer," it added. "The Royal household has been consulted throughout."

Further details of exactly where Harry, 22, would serve, or his specific role, would not be released because such a move would be "potentially dangerous", the statement added.

Speaking in an interview with the BBC on Thursday night, Mr Blair said Harry's determination to serve in Iraq was "very typical of him. "He's a brave young man and he's a very determined young man who wants to be part of his regiment and part of the Army," he said. "I think that shows a very special character on his part."

Sandhurst graduation

A Blues and Royals source said Harry, who has long expressed his determination to see front-line action, was "over the moon" at the deployment. Last year, the prince said: "There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country."

In a written statement to MPs, Defence Secretary Des Browne said two squadrons from Harry's Household Cavalry Regiment would be deployed with the rotation of troops to take place in May and June.

The lead formation of British troops, currently 19 Light Brigade, would be replaced by 1 Mechanised Brigade, supported by Prince's Harry's regiment, the statement added.

Prince Harry graduated from Sandhurst in April last year and qualified as an armoured reconnaissance troop leader in October. His rank of Cornet is used by a small number of cavalry units including the Blues and Royals and is the equivalent of the more usual rank of 2nd Lieutenant. Known to colleagues as Troop Commander Wales, he is able to lead reconnaissance units known as the Army's "eyes and ears".

Confirmation of the deployment comes after Prime Minister Tony Blair told MPs that 1,600 British troops would return from Iraq within the next few months.

He said the 7,100 serving troops in the south of Iraq around Basra would be cut to 5,500 soon, with hopes that 500 more will leave by late summer.

Prince Andrew, Harry's uncle, was a helicopter pilot in the Falklands conflict.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6383747.stm

critter crazy
02-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I think it is awsome what he is doing! Most people in his position would hide, and not do the right thing.Prince Harry, is an excelent Role model, for all. I just hope, along with everyone else that he is safe, and will come back home, once his tour is done. Thankfully everyone in my family, as well as all of my friends have come back home safely.

Miss Z
02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
This has been on British news quite a bit lately. I agree with ChrisH, just being a member of the Royal family should not allow him any special privilages. As a member of our armed forces, it's his duty to serve hs country.

However, I believe that if he does end up going, I doubt he'll be in anything like front-line service, or whatever else the media say he's going to do.

kuhio98
02-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I worry about his whole regiment. Since the media is likely to report its every movement, I worry about all the attention that will be focused on them. Wouldn't that attract suicide bombers? Wouldn't that put his regiment in more danger than the others?

gini
02-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I just wish him Godspeed as I do every young man that must serve in Iraq!

Bengalz
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I just wish him Godspeed as I do every young man that must serve in Iraq!

I agree Gini - anyone in this position deserves our support and respect notwithstanding who he/she is. I hope Harry (along with his colleagues along side) are not a victims of his heritage.

sparks19
02-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I say....

GOOD FOR HIM. it is truly a noble thing he is doing when he could so easily get out of it because of his status. Although I can't see why they would target him more than anyone else.... he is part of the royal family but he does not stand to inherit the throne. if they were going to go after someone I would think it would be william. Harry truly is leading by example and he is doing a wonderful service. it is sad that his service is being diminished and he is being referred to as a psuedo celebrity. At least he is doing SOMETHING. his regiment is one of the most respected and well known regiments of the british army. he is not going over there to have tea parties people. he deserves the same respect as anyone over there even if he is just a "psuedo celebrity". And those celebrities that do USO shows over there are providing more a of a service than many think.

I do hope that the press isn't so stupid as to report his every move and location although I know that is what will happen. the media is so out of touch. I wish they were not privvy to such information. They should only be told what they need to know.... they do NOT need to know where he is and exactly what he is doing. Just like the media shouldn't be privvy ANYONE's exact whereabouts or their missions. they do not need to know and it does NOT need to be reported. do they not realize that giving out this kind of info is only hurting our troops... not helping.

God speed to everyone over there.

Sophist
02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
However, I believe that if he does end up going, I doubt he'll be in anything like front-line service, or whatever else the media say he's going to do.

Very much agreed.

Sophist
02-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I understand, but I have to take issue with you here in regard to Prince Harry. He is a member of the Armed forces and is going there to do his job, his duty, just as any other British soldier is, in fact just as the people you write about are. I am sure his mother, family and friends are as concerned about him as you are about your family & friends.
The fact that he is a member of the Royal family will not protect him from a bullet or a bomb.

I don't feel that I implied he wouldn't be doing a job, or that he wouldn't have people worried about him. The original poster was addressing his high-profile being an issue, and that is what I was responding to in terms of other high-profile people being in war zones. Heck, ELVIS went to war, lol.

Also, I have to disagree with the assertion that his royal status won't protect him from a bomb or bullet. Media protestations aside, I can assure you that none of his superiors or their superiors are ready or willing to take the public opinion hit that would come with Prince Harry being killed in an unpopular conflict. His royal blood may not be extra protection by itself, but I am certain it will garner him extra protection. The army simply has too many 'expendables' that the media won't be willing to break away from reporting on Britney Spears' hairdo or Anna Nicole Smith's paternity case to report on to use up before they'd send Harry in. There will be a few super-well-publicized photo ops, but Commander Harry won't be out patrolling the streets of Fallujah any time soon. And, despite the supposed lack of special treatment, he's probably the only soldier over there confident that six months means six months. My brothers 'six months' is currently in month 18, which is all too common a story...

I need to take a short break, I am getting worked up now. Sorry.

Sophist
02-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I say....

he deserves the same respect as anyone over there even if he is just a "psuedo celebrity". And those celebrities that do USO shows over there are providing more a of a service than many think.

I didn't knock the celebrities that go over to do those tours. In fact, though they probably never reach them, I have written thank you letters and sent them to all the celebrities who have visited my brother's and friends units, or whose philanthropy I have read about in the news..

I also did not attempt to diminish the fact that it is a good thing he is going over there (I think a few of our politicians should be willing to send their children as well, although I have recently heard that John McCain's son is going). I don't think referring to him as a psuedo-celebrity tarnishes his career. He is a psuedo-celebrity. He is famous and celebrated and scrutinized because he is related to a remnant of a past political system, and his lovely mom has a tragic story that provides tabloids with endless morbid fascination and speculation.

And lastly, I do not feel I disrespected him as a soldier. I simply care more about my family than the random person I see on the cover of the tabloids. Not saying that there are any soldiers in Iraq I don't care about or wish well, just saying I am not going to feel any special affinity for Harry over my baby brother just because he is sorta famous for being related to public figures.

sparks19
02-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I think you should all wait and see what he will actually be doing over there before slinging around accusations that he will be living the highlife in Iraq. Do you know what his regiment is scheduled to do? do you know what his regiments mission is? or are you just assuming? I'm pretty sure if his regiment was being sent there and they knew he was just going for a free ride they would have something to say about it. Most platoons I have ever known would not tolerate anyone half a$$ing it no matter who they are.

There really is nothing to get worked up about. he doesn't have to go over there... but he is. that is something all on it's own. Not many of us are willing to go, so I don't think we should be getting worked up about what he will and will not be doing. Many of us have loved ones over there. it doesn't mean that I care less about the lives of those I don't know. Yes I am worried about my loved ones, but I feel just a passionate about the others who's famillies and friends are over there as I know they are ALL going through the same things we are.

There is no amount of protection that will keep him safe and alive if the enemy decides to bomb his regiment. it's nice to think that his body guards will throw themselves on him or that he will be holed up in some bullet proof bunker but he is at just as much risk. it is a WAR ZONE. Everyone is at risk. No one can be fully protected. the only protection they can truly rely on is good training.

I don't think anyone is asking you to feel any special affinity towards him, nor are they implying that you shouldn't feel more for your family. But he has done something that MANY would not. He does not have to go, he is living the highlife right now, but he still wants to go. No it doesn't make his life more meaningful than others, nor does it mean that he deserves special treatment but he certainly doesn't deserve to be seen as some little rich kid that is going to observe.

Catty1
02-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm just reminded that Harry's grandfather was in the navy when he and now Queen Elizabeth met. There is a sweet story of her crying when he left on a ship before they got married. :)

Duty runs in the family!

Sophist
02-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I think you should all wait and see what he will actually be doing over there before slinging around accusations that he will be living the highlife in Iraq. Do you know what his regiment is scheduled to do? do you know what his regiments mission is? or are you just assuming? I'm pretty sure if his regiment was being sent there and they knew he was just going for a free ride they would have something to say about it. Most platoons I have ever known would not tolerate anyone half a$$ing it no matter who they are.

Um, you don't know that either, but with even less evidence you are insisting he is going to be on the front line, more or less. I think common sense and politics very strongly suggest otherwise.

And peer soldiers in the military really have very little say over who goes with them or how hard they work, so I really don't think any platoon member would be sticking their neck out to bad mouth him or not 'tolerate' him. Superiors tend not to take it very well when you make waves. Plus, maybe they appreciate any token effort enough, or are simply used to a very class-conscious military, and are willing to tolerate a nice kid who just happened to catch a better break than them this time.

You are insisting there is nothing to be upset about, but you seem more upset and personally invested in Harry than anything anyone else is discussing. I recognized I needed to chill, and took a breather. I also suggest you realize that no one is really attacking Harry, and even if we were it is nothing personal against you.

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2007, 07:04 PM
he is part of the royal family but he does not stand to inherit the throne.

He is third in line for the throne...behind Charles and William.....

I say....bring them ALL home....

mike001
02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the great post, that was so interesting to read.I really admire this kid's tenacity and wanting to go to Iraq. I think the Royals get fed up being Royals and he just wants to be part of his bunch. Both have suffered so much over Diana's death, that I think it has grounded them to reality. Who knows if he isn't privately doing it for his mum's memory? Whatever his reasons, I admire him.

sparks19
02-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Um, you don't know that either, but with even less evidence you are insisting he is going to be on the front line, more or less. I think common sense and politics very strongly suggest otherwise.

And peer soldiers in the military really have very little say over who goes with them or how hard they work, so I really don't think any platoon member would be sticking their neck out to bad mouth him or not 'tolerate' him. Superiors tend not to take it very well when you make waves. Plus, maybe they appreciate any token effort enough, or are simply used to a very class-conscious military, and are willing to tolerate a nice kid who just happened to catch a better break than them this time.

You are insisting there is nothing to be upset about, but you seem more upset and personally invested in Harry than anything anyone else is discussing. I recognized I needed to chill, and took a breather. I also suggest you realize that no one is really attacking Harry, and even if we were it is nothing personal against you.

My post suggests I am worked up? I guess we are reading the post in totally different mind sets LOL. The only thing I am worked up about right now is a hockey game LOL. Besides I don't recall saying he would be on the front line... only that he will not be a desk jockey getting a safe a cushy place to relax for his service.

I have done some reading since this news because I did not believe that he would see any action but they seem very adamant that he will see the same action as the rest of his regiment.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/01/nharry01.xml
(let me know if this link works for you because the second time I went to it nothing would come up but it did point out that his regiment would be patrolling the Iran border)

Here is another http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070217/wl_uk_afp/britainroyalsharrymilitaryiraq_070217031032

I have also heard this on many other news networks and read it in a few different places. Now to me .... that doesn't sound like the safest place to be.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,,20982185-5001021,00.html

There are more links but I think this is enough for now.

As for soldiers not having a say..... hehe that may be true but I have heard quite differently from my husband and his experiences in the army. They may not have much influence in what they say but there are MANY ways to make their service.... unbearable. and while it is "not allowed" I have heard stories of "violence" against slackers in the army from their fellow soldiers. While I am sure they keep an eye on Harry.... he can't hide from his fellow soldiers if he isn't doing the work. I don't know any soldier that puts up with slackers.... slackers are the most dangerous soldiers to be with..... and if their actions are less than stellar and could result in dangerous actions that could harm another soldier it is not tolerated.

And as I said.... he currently does not stand to inherit the throne. He is third in line ... yes but even being third... that is a long line ;)

I'm actually most interested to see how my Grandmother feels about this. She is from London, England and has always loved and followed the Royal family. I wonder what she is thinking right now.

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2007, 08:20 PM
And as I said.... he currently does not stand to inherit the throne. He is third in line ... yes but even being third... that is a long line ;)

Third in line is not in line. Wow.....I am not one for standing in line but even I am willing to stand in a line with only two in front of me....

NoahsMommy
02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
I thought this was pretty commendable when I heard it on the radio yesturday. Way to go Prince Harry! :) You'll be added to the prayers I say for all the troops out there.