PDA

View Full Version : I just spent...

Sirrahsim
02-23-2007, 05:29 PM
$10 for about $2 worth of candy :D :rolleyes: My neighbor's son was selling it for his class and he is always SO sweet that I couldn't say no :D
Plus I felt a little guilty for kicking him and his buddies out of my yard :p :D

borzoimom
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Been there.. lol.. I use to support the kids sales too..

cassiesmom
02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
(rant at myself) Ohhhhh ... we just had a slew of these at work ... parents bring the order forms for their kids' school fund raisers because the kids do not go door-to-door anymore. We also had a few people's "catalog shows" for home products, and I feel like I can't turn those folks down either. I end up spending money I shouldn't on things I don't really need. I need to learn a polite way to decline.

junescrater716
02-23-2007, 10:41 PM
(rant at myself) Ohhhhh ... we just had a slew of these at work ... parents bring the order forms for their kids' school fund raisers because the kids do not go door-to-door anymore. We also had a few people's "catalog shows" for home products, and I feel like I can't turn those folks down either. I end up spending money I shouldn't on things I don't really need. I need to learn a polite way to decline.

Just tell them you've already ordered. lol thats what my mom does even though we haven't ordered anything.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I do that too! I already bought several boxes of girl scout cookies from piano students.

Although I am more cautious now, though, because a number of years ago some kids came to my door selling candy from a catalog. I bought some stuff for them, wrote a check, then never got my candy! :( So I will only buy from people I know!

jackie
02-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Why can't kids go door to door anymore?

I am such a sucker for those things, and for girl scout cookies! :p

Sirrahsim
02-24-2007, 06:26 AM
He came knocking on my door :confused: :confused: Of course he is my next door neighbor so may have felt comfortable doing so even if he's not technically supposed to.

smokey the elder
02-24-2007, 08:26 AM
A lot of groups discourage kids from going door to door, which is a shame in a way. This can give kids confidence, making the "sales pitch". But parents are concerned about perceived hazards with kidpacks running around unsupervised.

At my work, it's OK to sell stuff like that, but you have to be discreet and not bug people. You can place an order form prominently in your office, but aren't supposed to ask people to buy stuff. I am a Girl Scout cookie addict so *look* for people selling them. :p I couldn't give a rip about candy, wrapping paper, etc. but if you have a Brownie or GS... :D

Rachel
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I would much rather donate an amount than purchase an overpriced product that I don't want; however, these fund raisers just won't accommodate that mind set. In the end I think an organization could generate more money for their activities if they would add the option of a donation. When I inquire of the kids soliciting they don't have any idea if that is permissable and of course that is the way the operating companies who sponsor the *fund raisers* want it.

areias
02-24-2007, 08:50 AM

I am such a sucker for those things, and for girl scout cookies! :p

It's not considered safe-especially if the kid is alone, goes to a strangers house, and well...gets kidnapped or something. :)

I decline almost everytime except if I know them (or I am hungry ;))

Kalei
02-24-2007, 09:10 AM
When I was a kid, I had to sell those overly expensive chocolate bars for my school, and I hated doing it. I always felt like such a bother to people when I asked them if they want one, so now I'm glad I'm long done school and don't have to annoy people anymore. But when somebody comes to me and asks me if I want a bar, i can't say no either...I hate seeing the poor kid's face get dissappointed.

Twisterdog
02-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh, yes. I remember those days. My son sold popcorn for Boy Scouts, citrus fruit for PeeWee Wrestling, magazines for the school ... I've probably bought enough outrageously overpriced stuff over the years from kids to buy a small used car.

I always thought of it this way ... here's a kid who is involved in something positive. He's out in the cold, wind or rain trying to do something good. I always tried to support that, even if I didn't really want the candy bar, wrapping paper, magazine subscription or cookies. I think it sends a good message to kids that adults care about their efforts to do well ... instead of doing bad things.

Almita
02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I sell Girl Scout Cookies. Still in girl scouts since my mother is a leader can't get out haha. All my friends from elementary school through jr high are in it so i get to see them often.

catland
02-24-2007, 11:57 AM
We like to support our local neighborhood kids - using the theory that this will make them less likely to vandalize our house when they turn into teenagers. :eek:

I absolutely WONT buy from a parent who does the work in place of their child. I agree that its a good thing for kids to do.

Pretty soon we'll be seeing the girl scout cookies at the grocery store. The past couple of years I have paid for cookies with the understanding that they go to the troops. :)

cassiesmom
02-24-2007, 12:09 PM

around here the big, new subdivisions don't have sidewalks between the houses so the kids would have to walk from driveway to driveway in the street. One subdivision used front sidewalks as a marketing point! (we have sidewalks like the neighborhood you grew up in...) There is another new one going up not too far from me - $800,000 houses and they are trying to have the common area include a sidewalk so the kids can safely walk to school - reading the village board meeting reports in the newspaper I am surprised by how much work it's taking to clear the rights-of-way and arrange for a sidewalk and curb cuts to be installed.

jackie
02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I always thought of it this way ... here's a kid who is involved in something positive. He's out in the cold, wind or rain trying to do something good. I always tried to support that, even if I didn't really want the candy bar, wrapping paper, magazine subscription or cookies. I think it sends a good message to kids that adults care about their efforts to do well ... instead of doing bad things.

That's an amazing way to look at it!

I only think, woo hoo, I don't need to leave the house to get my sweet fix!