PDA

View Full Version : The US- Spoiled Brats? ( rec'd email today)

borzoimom
02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
"Author unknown

Subject: Spoiled Brats

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some
poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source,
right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy
with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is
unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the
citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are we
so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7
days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the
summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these
unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery
store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the
last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the
Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move
through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we
would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having
thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just
not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency
workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter
to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You
may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of
trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to
extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings. Or
if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or
prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest
will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in
the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and
pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own
cell phones and computers.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the
world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great
disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed
people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have ,
and what we hate about the country instead of being thankful that we live
here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has
no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval
rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days
after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of
recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the
book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from
terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is
out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on
the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so
unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good
things and be glad? Think about it......are you upset at the President
because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media"
told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful butt every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have
volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom.
There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They
are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an
''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a
''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of
Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it
leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with
blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The
media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer
what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by
"justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a
murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his
wife, but if he did he would have done it this way...... Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off
the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your
bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is
exponentially more good than bad."

jackie
02-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your
exponentially more good than bad.

Two thumbs up!

GreyhoundGirl
02-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off
the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your
exponentially more good than bad."

4 paws up too! (bottom of your birdcage? lol! What about housetraining the Galina pups-to-come? :p )

borzoimom
02-24-2007, 08:03 AM
4 paws up too! (bottom of your birdcage? lol! What about housetraining the Galina pups-to-come? :p )
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL..

Pembroke_Corgi
02-24-2007, 10:46 AM
While I agree that we could all learn to be more appreciative of what we have, I think there is a lot of danger in ignoring important events in our country and our world.

Maybe it would make us feel better to ignore unpleasant truths, but our duty as democratic citizens is to understand events around us so we can vote! Without a vote, each of us is powerless, and by advocating being an ignorant, if happy, person, we are essentially giving up the one thing we have as American citizens to make our voices known.

sparks19
02-24-2007, 11:01 AM
While I agree that we could all learn to be more appreciative of what we have, I think there is a lot of danger in ignoring important events in our country and our world.

Maybe it would make us feel better to ignore unpleasant truths, but our duty as democratic citizens is to understand events around us so we can vote! Without a vote, each of us is powerless, and by advocating being an ignorant, if happy, person, we are essentially giving up the one thing we have as American citizens to make our voices known.

You don't have to be unhappy to vote :D You can be happy AND vote.

However, I don't think the local news is the way to understand what you are really voting for. Any news station only tells half truths. it is up to YOU to do the research to find out the whole truths. the sad part is I bet over half the people who vote don't even know what they are voting for. I'm sure most people who didn't vote for bush the second time did so because they don't like the war... not because they LIKE what the other person had to offer. but like many I am sick of having to choose the lesser of two evils.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-24-2007, 11:16 AM
You don't have to be unhappy to vote :D You can be happy AND vote.

However, I don't think the local news is the way to understand what you are really voting for. Any news station only tells half truths. it is up to YOU to do the research to find out the whole truths. the sad part is I bet over half the people who vote don't even know what they are voting for. I'm sure most people who didn't vote for bush the second time did so because they don't like the war... not because they LIKE what the other person had to offer. but like many I am sick of having to choose the lesser of two evils.
My point wasn't that you have to be unhappy to vote- I'm sure there are plenty of happy voters out there! My point is that the tone of the email suggests we should all just be happy with any political situation because we have food in our bellies...and we should just forget and be merry and ignore the outside world as long as everything is ok for us. I don't care how people get their information, either (though I'm guessing the local news is more accurate than what you hear on the street) as long as they are aware of what's going on. And, I would much rather vote for the lesser evil than the greater! ;)

applesmom
02-24-2007, 11:53 AM
The informed and "unhappy" pro-active citizens have made this country what it is. We didn't come as far as we have because of citizens hiding their heads in the sand and ignoring the events around them.

This country has been going through some frightening changes brought about by irresponsible and greedy elected officials. Those politicialns would love it if we'd all just shut our mouths, think only of our own comforts and sit back and allow them to continue unchecked.

cassiesmom
02-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Stop buying the negativism you are fed every day by the media.

not easy to do - between TV and radio, newspapers and magazines and computer news. I was waiting in line at the supermarket, they have these video monitors in each lane. They show local weather, public service announcements, amber alerts and I think that's good - but they also have TV clips (heavy on the Food Network and Entertainment Tonight) and TONS of commercials in between. I just wanted to reach over and turn the volume down.

sparks19
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
And, I would much rather vote for the lesser evil than the greater! ;)

As would anyone I'm sure.... but don't you find it sad that it has to be that way? that not one person that ever runs is worthy of the position? That they all have their own little agendas?

vote for the little guy :D he may not have the money or the political backing but chances are he will have to work harder to get to where he is. We need to stop voting for the big parties and listen to what the little background runners have to say.... but they don't get the big air time and can't afford the big commercials to tell you what you should think. All they have is their small voice.... perhaps we should start listening to that little voice a little more. it is obvious that the big republican and democratic front runners can't do it right... maybe we should give someone else a chance.

Basically I am sick of hearing all the "promises" made by the big parties. Once they get in where do those promises go? down the toilet. No one forces them to come through on anything they promise. it would be a wonderful thing if they did. Imagine how elections would change if they knew that the promises they made would be enforced. Instead they make empty promises they have no intention of fullfilling, they just say it so we will vote for them.

But to me this all a moot point.... cause I can't vote lol. not here anyway.

Twisterdog
02-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not even going to get into the voting/Bush/war debate... because I have a headache and I don't have the energy for it right now.

However, I will say that I generally agree with the first seven paragraphs. I don't know that it's necesarily an "American" phenonenon, but more of a "middle to upper class" phenonenon, the world over.

Those of us fortunate enough to have a warm house, sanitary water to drink, enough food in our stomachs, immunizations for our children, available jobs, healthcare, etc. are the definate minority in the world. And we DO take it for granted. I'm as guilty as anyone. We all complain and harp and rant about every small perceived injustice or minor unhappiness to come our way, when in actuality, we have VERY good lives.

lizbud
02-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Basically I am sick of hearing all the "promises" made by the big parties. Once they get in where do those promises go? down the toilet. No one forces them to come through on anything they promise. it would be a wonderful thing if they did. Imagine how elections would change if they knew that the promises they made would be enforced. Instead they make empty promises they have no intention of fullfilling, they just say it so we will vote for them.

All politics is compromise. Each party does it & it's worked pretty well
for the mostpart. Each side tries to get things helpful to the people in their
own state or county. They don't promise to get things done, they promise
to work toward getting things done the way his/her district wants it to be.

sparks19
02-24-2007, 05:51 PM
All politics is compromise. Each party does it & it's worked pretty well
for the mostpart. Each side tries to get things helpful to the people in their
own state or county. They don't promise to get things done, they promise
to work toward getting things done the way his/her district wants it to be.

when I said that I was actually thinking of someone specific. former Premier of Ontario Dalton McGuinty. Crook. He has really put a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily he didn't last long. I remember all the PROMISES he made to get elected. The biggest one was to lower sales tax. Not even two weeks into office he announced that it was not possible to do so. In two weeks he figured out it was impossible? doesn't sound like he put much work into it.... especially now that Harper HAS lowered sales tax by 1% in his first year and will be lowering it another 1% over the next 5. Doesn't sound like much but at least it is something. now why couldn't Dalton have figured that out? because he had no intention of doing so is my guess. Now I know that is in Canada and not the US but all to often I see this misinformed campaign claims and then when they get in they aren't feasible. perhaps they should do more research before claiming such things.

Our Governor Ed Rendell is full of "working towards things" claims. but then they can't be done because congress needs an 8% pay raise. put more money into medicare! OOPS sorry can't be done so since we can't do that lets give ourselves a huge pay raise so bob can get that summer home he's wanted so badly. If you ask me that guy is Mobbed up. yet he keeps getting elected. it amazes me. I guess his cronies must be out threatening to break legs ;) LOL

Karen
02-24-2007, 06:38 PM
I think there is a difference between being unhappy, and being ambitious and wanting to improve one's lot in life.

I would rather live in a country where people strive to improve conditions - even if it means pointing out what's wrong that needs improving a.k.a. complaining - than one where everyone sat back and said "Life is good for me, let's nap."

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Sparks! Surely you aren't advocating money to Socialized Medicine!

put more money into medicare!

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2007, 08:16 PM
$8,772,509,199,908 The national debt (there was a surplus in 1999....)

The estimated population of the United States is 301,041,766
so each citizen's share of this debt is $29,140.51.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.79 billion per day since September 29, 2006!

At least we need not worry about our children and grandchildren being spoiled...they will be too busy paying off this debt!

Karen
02-24-2007, 08:23 PM
And my generation will never be allowed to retire, as we'll be paying for the Boomers' Social Security!

Unless of course, like good Americans have always done, we strive and work to change things, getting involved in all levels of community and government ...

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2007, 08:29 PM
And my generation will never be allowed to retire, as we'll be paying for the Boomers' Social Security!

Unless of course, like good Americans have always done, we strive and work to change things, getting involved in all levels of community and government ...

Not to worry Karen...on an early thread it was decided that no one should live off the government anymore...no more social security...disability, aid to dependent children, medicare, unemployment insurance, etc.

btw...baby boomer is anyone born 1946 - 1964.....

sparks19
02-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Sparks! Surely you aren't advocating money to Socialized Medicine!

No that is what Ed Rendell claimed he was going to do with the extra money. Instead he gave a hefty pay raise. Now as much as I think socialized medicine is broken..... I definately think the money should have gone towards that before going to a BIGGER pay check for congress.

the worst part was.... when he was confronted about the pay raise.... his excuse was "If we take away that pay raise how can we afford to send our kids to university and give them a headstart at life" :eek: If us regular folk can afford to send our kids to college they certainly can on their more than fair wage.

wombat2u2004
02-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Not to worry Karen...on an early thread it was decided that no one should live off the government anymore...no more social security...disability, aid to dependent children, medicare, unemployment insurance, etc.

btw...baby boomer is anyone born 1946 - 1964.....

Except for war veterans...they deserve it.

Edwina's Secretary
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Except for war veterans...they deserve it.

Nope...I don't expect my former employers to keep on paying me. Once you're out...you're out!

wombat2u2004
02-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Nope...I don't expect my former employers to keep on paying me. Once you're out...you're out!

Who's talking about former employers ???
I'm talking about the public.....they owe !!!
Soooooooo.....be a good girl and keep paying your taxes ;)

Edwina's Secretary
02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Who's talking about former employers ???
I'm talking about the public.....they owe !!!
Soooooooo.....be a good girl and keep paying your taxes ;)

In this country we have an all volunteer military. They choose to be employed by the military.

Just like the rest of us...they should get paid when they work...but no free rides! When they stop working...I should stop paying.....

Weren't you the one who posted the piece suggesting rewriting the Bill of Rights and getting all the free loaders off the system?

Or is it all the freeloaders except MY freeloaders?

Anyway...Donald Rumsfeld said the troops are fungible, didn't he?

Puckstop31
02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
In this country we have an all volunteer military. They choose to be employed by the military.

Look at that, we agree on something. Heck, I was "wounded" during my service, (just a scratch, but it was caused by a grenade so I got a Purple Heart... LOL... All the medic did was put a big band aid on it....) and thus am entitled to a bunch of "free" crap. Won't ever take it. EVER.

Just like the rest of us...they should get paid when they work...but no free rides! When they stop working...I should stop paying.....

But what about those poor downtrodden welfare recipients? Medicare is a free ride, yet you support that. I used to work in the PA Medicade system (as a contractor) and people would just go nuts if I could talk about what WE pay for.

Or is it all the freeloaders except MY freeloaders?

ALL freeloaders please.

Edwina's Secretary
02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Look at that, we agree on something. Heck, I was "wounded" during my service, (just a scratch, but it was caused by a grenade so I got a Purple Heart... LOL... All the medic did was put a big band aid on it....) and thus am entitled to a bunch of "free" crap. Won't ever take it. EVER.

But what about those poor downtrodden welfare recipients? Medicare is a free ride, yet you support that. I used to work in the PA Medicade system (as a contractor) and people would just go nuts if I could talk about what WE pay for.

ALL freeloaders please.

Why are you addressing this to me?...I suggested eliminating social security, aid to dependent children, Medicare....all that stuff. I don't know where you see that I support medicare. ( I won't bother pointing out to you that medicare is a contributory program and is primarily for those people who are age 65 or older. Why let facts get in the way?)

If fact...I think medical care should be denied to anyone who does not either have the cash up front or insurance to cover the expense of the medical care.

Puckstop31
02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Why are you addressing this to me?...I suggested eliminating social security, aid to dependent children, Medicare....all that stuff. I don't know where you see that I support medicare. ( I won't bother pointing out to you that medicare is a contributory program and is primarily for those people who are age 65 or older. Why let facts get in the way?)

If fact...I think medical care should be denied to anyone who does not either have the cash up front or insurance to cover the expense of the medical care.

Oh, cool then... You seemed to be contradicting yourself in other threads though. I'm kinda new here, trying to figure all of you out.

Or are you one of those cool kats that like to "outsmart" people by using clever sarcasm? :)

I'm gonna like it here. :)

sparks19
02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh, cool then... You seemed to be contradicting yourself in other threads though. I'm kinda new here, trying to figure all of you out.

Or are you one of those cool kats that like to "outsmart" people by using clever sarcasm? :)

I'm gonna like it here. :)

LOL I see you are having a busy day at work haha. while I am home slaving over a hot cmoputer screen... AH who am I kidding. I'm sitting on my butt and you know it.

I was surprised to find you here :D

critter crazy
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
So am I considered a freeloader, because I got a medical Discharge from the Army, and am Now collecting Disability??

Puckstop31
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
So am I considered a freeloader, because I got a medical Discharge from the Army, and am Now collecting Disability??

Well, can you work? Can you share with us why you were medically discharged? I only ask because I have seen people get "medical outs" for ingrown toenails. Really... It also just happened to be right before we deployed.

Puckstop31
02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
LOL I see you are having a busy day at work haha. while I am home slaving over a hot cmoputer screen... AH who am I kidding. I'm sitting on my butt and you know it.

Yeah, a little slow today, for once. I am actually at the office (gasp) right now.

I was surprised to find you here :D

Was it a :D surprise

or...

a :rolleyes: surprise?

LOL

Puckstop31
02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Random post... Sorry, needed to get my post count off of 13. We goalies are a strange lot. If you gotta ask, you will never understand. LOL

critter crazy
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, can you work? Can you share with us why you were medically discharged? I only ask because I have seen people get "medical outs" for ingrown toenails. Really... It also just happened to be right before we deployed.
Well I was medically discharged because I went blind in my right eye. I have absolutely no depth perception, and am very close to losing my Licence. I also have to go to bed everynight, and pray that when I wake up I wont be 100% blind. Gee...But other than That i am perfectly fine!

sparks19
02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, a little slow today, for once. I am actually at the office (gasp) right now.

Was it a :D surprise

or...

a :rolleyes: surprise?

LOL

LOL it was a :eek: surprise. you are silly lol.

As far as purple hearts go... remember poor Donnie. a friend of ours when in iraq fell victim to a malfunctioning fan. the blades broke and he got hit in the nose. He broke his nose and had some stitches but mostly he was just embarrassed. he didn't even want his purple heart because he was too embarrassed to tell people how it had happened. lol Poor guy

Puckstop31
02-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Well I was medically discharged because I went blind in my right eye. I have absolutely no depth perception, and am very close to losing my Licence. I also have to go to bed everynight, and pray that when I wake up I wont be 100% blind. Gee...But other than That i am perfectly fine!

Well, that is a good reason. I was not acusing you of anything, just asking a question.

Personally, I would work in whatever way I could if I were in your shoes, but that is JUST ME and in no way a judgement on you. Also, it is good you pray. We all should cast our cares on Him because He cares for us.

Was your disability caused by your service?

critter crazy
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Well, that is a good reason. I was not acusing you of anything, just asking a question.

Personally, I would work in whatever way I could if I were in your shoes, but that is JUST ME and in no way a judgement on you. Also, it is good you pray. We all should cast our cares on Him because He cares for us.

Was your disability caused by your service?
I have chosen, after 10yrs in the Army to stay home with my kids while I can. They are my first priority in my life.

The docs, are not sure what the cause was, all the docs are baffled, they dont even have a name for what I have so lord only knows what caused, or even when it happened.