PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything I can do?

areias
02-22-2007, 08:20 PM
As some of you know..I deliver pizza...and I meet a lot of well, interesting people. Including people I wish to never meet again ;) . There is this one girl and her boyfriend/hubby I've delivered to 3 three times now. Twice during the day and once in the evening. I hate to be so blunt, and she does live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, but she is extremely trashy. Her bra shows through her tanktop, short shorts (MUCH too short for my visual comfort), pulls money out of her bra. Whenever I pull up to the house, the garage is open a crack on the bottom, and they see me and open the whole garage. She also reeks (I want to hold my nose) of marijuana, and her boyfriend will still be sitting in the garage just really out of it. So obviously she is smoking in her garage and gets the munchies and calls us out. Not too big of a deal though, what you do is what you do. But what I'm concerned about is that the 2nd and 3rd time I delivered, there is a little boy there..maybe 3-4 years old, and he too would run out the garage when he saw my car pull up. So she's doing drugs while I'm assuming her son is there, and even in the garage with her.

And then tonight, I drove past the house, and the little boy was taking out the trash! I understand chores, but like a huge full trash bag and beer boxes, all by himself! No one was around.

I'm just concerned. I understand people have weaknesses, and do what you want to do, but don't subject your child to have to witness it. And I also wonder of her ability to care for him, and if maybe it's not just pot, if there is also harder drugs she is doing, because she is just really wierd. And then again, maybe smoking pot is just her "recreational activity" and the child has a great home life? The boyfriend gives me bad vibes though, I don't like him whatsoever.

Well what do you think? Is it worth reporting? Who would I need to report it to, if I did? Any opinions?

Catlady711
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I'd think an annonomous call to child protective services would help. If there is anything funky going on they will investigate and take proper action. If everything is fine their presence there may cause the mother to take more care. Plus is there an outside chance that's the baby sitter not the mother? In which case I'd think the mother would like to know what's going on.

According to Florida State Law (http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/general/legal/statutes/defineall.pdf) concerning child welfare...

Florida
Physical Abuse § 39.01

Abuse means any willful act or threatened act that results in any physical, mental, or sexual injury or harm that causes or is likely to cause the child’s physical, mental, or emotional health to be significantly impaired.
Harm to a child’s health or welfare can occur when any person inflicts or allows to be inflicted upon the child physical, mental, or emotional injury, and can include:
• Purposely giving a child poison, alcohol, drugs, or other substances that substantially affect the child’s behavior, motor coordination, or judgment or that result in sickness or internal injury
• Inappropriate or excessively harsh discipline
• Exposure to a controlled substance or alcohol
• Engaging in violent behavior that demonstrates a wanton disregard for the presence of a child and could reasonably result in serious injury to the child

Persons Responsible for the Child § 39.01

• Caregiver means the parent, legal custodian, adult household member, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare.
• Other person responsible for a child’s welfare includes:
o The child’s legal guardian, legal custodian, or foster parent
o An employee of a private school, public or private child daycare center, residential home, institution, facility, or agency
o Any other person legally responsible for the child’s welfare in a residential setting
o An adult sitter or relative entrusted with a child’s care

Karen
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I do agree a call to Child Protective Services is in order.

Queen of Poop
02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
I agree also, the call neds to be made.

borzoimom
02-23-2007, 06:53 AM
I agree to call. Good information Catlady!

ramanth
02-23-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll agree with the call to CPS.

It's done annoynmously. One day CPS showed up at our doorstep. I had a bruise on my leg and someone suspected my mom was beating us. The woman was nice and talked with us and our parents. Mom was of course upset but we were never taken away and CPS never came back.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree - make that call. At least someone is looking out for that poor child

DrKym
02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
After many many years as a foster mom. I implore you to make that call!
If it is nothing, then no harm done except a wake up to them that people are observant, and if it is something, you may be the reason that child is spared any more trauma in its' life.

It is anonymous, and your call can mean the difference in this persons life, and the lives of his parents!

Call!

Kym

Cataholic
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
If it is nothing, then no harm done except a wake up to them that people are observant, and if it is something, you may be the reason that child is spared any more trauma in its' life.

It is anonymous, and your call can mean the difference in this persons life, and the lives of his parents!

Call!

Kym

I guess I must be the only person that will say, "I'd hesitate before making that call". I have seen first hand the devestation that CPS brings into one's world. No problem, if the person is guilty of abuse. Big problem if the person is NOT guilty. This has far reaching implications, and there is much harm done to someone's life, if things are not as they appear. An investigation, even one that doesn't result in action, remains on file. This can affect someone that is a teacher, works with children, has children, is in a custody dispute, etc.

Unless you are 100% (or pretty close) sure there is abuse going on, I would not call.

And then tonight, I drove past the house, and the little boy was taking out the trash! I understand chores, but like a huge full trash bag and beer boxes, all by himself! No one was around.

My 2.5 year old takes the trash out. He fights me to do it, no matter how full the can is. This is probably one of the high points of his week, seriously. He gets so excited when he sees that Grammy hasn't taken her cans in yet, and we get to do that when I drop him off.

I went back and re-read your OP. I just don't think I would make the call based on what you have said. I can't imagine CPS showing up to my door because someone called about Jonah bring in/taking out trashcans. I do know IF CPS showed up at my door, I would order them off the property, tell them to come back with a warrant, and call the best defense attorney that I could.

Catty1
02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
What about the pot-smoking she witnessed, and the fact that the boy is there a lot of the time, if not actually living there full time?

Whenever I pull up to the house, the garage is open a crack on the bottom, and they see me and open the whole garage. She also reeks (I want to hold my nose) of marijuana, and her boyfriend will still be sitting in the garage just really out of it. So obviously she is smoking in her garage and gets the munchies and calls us out. Not too big of a deal though, what you do is what you do. But what I'm concerned about is that the 2nd and 3rd time I delivered, there is a little boy there..maybe 3-4 years old, and he too would run out the garage when he saw my car pull up. So she's doing drugs while I'm assuming her son is there, and even in the garage with her.

Or should she maybe just call, tell them what she has seen - and hopefully the intake worker can decide and tell her if it is worth pursuing or not?

They don't go in just because someone phones, do they?

Cataholic
02-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I would not make a call unless she is absolutely, positively certain of what she thinks she saw.

Having said that, second hand smoke is second hand smoke. So, unless you are calling about anyone that smokes with their child in the home....well....

I am just not certain I would call CPS because I thought I smelled pot around someone that has a child.

Prairie Purrs
02-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm with Cataholic on this one. I think you need to consider whether you've really witnessed child abuse, or whether you just disapprove of the parents' lifestyle.

jackie
02-24-2007, 01:45 AM
I would not make a call unless she is absolutely, positively certain of what she thinks she saw.

Having said that, second hand smoke is second hand smoke. So, unless you are calling about anyone that smokes with their child in the home....well....

I am just not certain I would call CPS because I thought I smelled pot around someone that has a child.

I agree 100%.

Just because you get a "bad vibe" about this woman and her boyfriend, it is no reason to get involved based on the few minor things you have seen.

Had you seen any actual abuse, or hard drugs (not just the smell of marijuana) I would say notify the authorities, but I don't think this is enough.

areias
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Alright guys, this is why I came to you. How about if I notice anything else wierd, or something else happens, I will contact the authorities. If not, then I'll leave it alone?

I just wasn't sure if what I was seeing was a "big deal" or not.